× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moderate NAT type XR1000

nottywells
Initiate

Moderate NAT type XR1000

Hello

Recently I have purchased the XR1000 in hopes of having a better wireless network in comparison to using my ISP's gateway (BGW320). 

Unfortunately this gateway doesn't have a true bridge mode and only have the ability for cascading or passthrough; was told passthrough is what I want to do but did some reading and saw you don't lose as much speed with cascading (not sure if true or not).

I have what seems to be the most recent software update version 1.0.0.52_1.0.38 and have tried a plethora of ways to change my NAT back to open. 

First and foremost UPnP is enabled (default) but when running any sort of game i.e. Cold War nothing shows up in the tables below. The device is my PC which is wired via Cat6a ~40ft. UPnP hasn't seemed to solve this issue with or without geo-filtering on (it's been off). My next step was port-forwarding but that didn't seem to fix the issue either (it could be user error and I might not have inserted the correct data). I have looked into DMZ but am genuinely unsure of how to properly do it and looked into cascading a bit but also couldn't figure out how to do it as I wasn't sure if that could potentially solve the issue. 

I've come across SOME literature stating that there's a beta software available that has seemed to fix a lot of the issues with UPnP with the XR1000 but am unsure as to where I can locate said software as I saw a gentleman who sent the software link via DM so I'm sure this isn't publicly available unless you state you are encountering an issue. Was really hoping that the UPnP would automaticaly solve the issue at hand being I didn't want to have to jump through loops but that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm not near as educated as a lot of people are on this subject. 

Any response is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you've been having some troubles with your NAT type!

From what I can see online, it does sound like passthrough is what you need, did you attempt to set this up? How did it go?

Message 2 of 9
nottywells
Initiate

Hi Liam

Actually fixed the issue this morning. 

Yes I've enabled IP passthrough but just in case this issue pops up for someone the only thing needed to be enabled in the router is UPnP, if someone wants geo-filtering on it also works but this only applies to PC beings you have to add inbound/outbound rules to your PC's firewall. Once I created those rules my NAT immediately swapped to open. When I port-forwarded on the router again this morning it did open my NAT however there was a major drop in bandwidth on the game so I removed port-forwarding rules and just left the rules for inbound/outbound on my firewall. Originally bandwidth was 3100 kbps and once removing port-forwarding and adjusting firewall settings on the PC itself bandwidth went back to my average of 4100 kbps with open NAT. 

Message 3 of 9
spdsk8race
Apprentice

I believe your ISP is AT&T fiber? If so, I would take the bgw out of the equation. Att in the past has pushed updates to the bgw210 that limited passthrough to 500 Mbps download/upload, double nats, etc etc etc. Do the dumb switch bypass and I guarantee you will be 100% happier. It's extremely easy to do, and cheap.
Steps:
1. You'll need to buy a switch ( $16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_6P6YZ0V1XTBH5HR75ZT3?_encoding=UTF8...)
2. Find the Mac address for the bgw (should be on the side sticker)
3. On your XR router, go to settings, internet setup, at the bottom there's a section to manually input a Mac address, put the bgw Mac address there. SAVE SETTINGS.
4. Unplug/power off your XR, bgw, and the ont box (white box where the fiber cable is connected to.
5. Take the Ethernet cable running from the ont, plug it in to the one of the slots on the switch, take another Ethernet and connect it to the ont port on your bgw (red port) still with all powered down
6. Power on the switch, then Power the ont box, wait for pin light and data to remain solid, plug in bgw
7. Wait for the bgw to have a solid broadband and service light
8. Unplug the Ethernet cable going to the bgw ont port (red port) and plug that directly into your XR
9. Power on the XR and enjoy not having att crapy router play middle man!

The only time you would need to redo these steps is if your power goes out. It may look like a lot of steps , but in reality it's extremely easy and maybe take 5-10 minutes to set up. If you have issues you can pm me! Here is a photo of how mine fiber box looks
Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Glad to hear that! Thanks for posting the solution too, that's super helpful!

Message 5 of 9

Yo, that's actually a sick trick to bypassing the AT&T Gateway requirement. So you plug in the switch which lets the IP passthrough to the Gateway and then wait for it to authenticate itself, and then using the XR1000's spoofed MAC address, you can fake the Router being the Gateway by putting the Ethernet cable in the XR1000 (And since the switch is powered on anc connected to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal), AT&T will still see a powered on uplink with no data respone for like 2 seconds so they won't know that you unplugged the cable, they'll just think the Router lagged for 2 seconds) and you're good to go. I wish AT&T would allow you to use your own Router because then you can return it without having to deal with the bs. I don't have AT&T Fiber, but they should raise their pricing by $10 since you're gonna have to pay for that crappy Router.

Message 6 of 9

Dude that's actually 1000 IQ!!!

Message 7 of 9

It's REALLY IMPORTANT that you do every step in sequentially order EXACTLY as stated, otherwise, AT&T is gonna know your spoofing and your gonna have to redo the steps. You would also need to redo your steps if you factory reset your XR1000 and/or change its MAC address.

Message 8 of 9
spdsk8race
Apprentice

Correct to all above, except it's much better than ip passthrough as att cripples theirs, and or like the bgw 210, capped the download/upload speeds when using ip passthrough/DMZ+ . The only time I ever have to plug the dumb gateway back in is if I lose power... Which begs the question why I haven't invested in a apc backup yet 😂
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7