× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware v2.3.2.120 (XR500)

V1Z10N
Star

@brandoff7 @Netduma-Fraser 

The .120 update has been performing much better than the previous updates which shines a light for a stable build in the not so distant future.

The connection benchmark and ping heat map Rapps do have their quirks now and then but nothing that a reboot cant fix which is very seldom and that is good in my book.

Onto Call of Duty,mmmm,whenever i play the sweatfest of FPs's especially Warzone solo my ping never goes higher than 50ms but when i play on low ping i get massive packet loss almost 10% at times,when i play with my buddies from the UK in a 140ms lobby my packet loss is at 0% so i downloaded the free trial of ping plotter to investigate whether the issue was locally or on route to the server but before testing i made sure that i changed all my ethernet cables i bought cat8 gold plated,yes it costed me a penny but with tests like these you want to cover all your bases. I also checked with my ISP to find out whether they are throttling my connection and they assured me that im getting my max speed 99% of the time,yeah right but ill take it.

I tested pingplotter and found that the issue was not on my end but it was the server itself,major packet loss which shows that Activision are just milking us when it comes to server support outside the US and Europe.Omegalul

So i would advise you to follow the steps Ive taken to eliminate or reduce as reasonably practicable,the issues locally (in your home and Internet Service Provider) ,and test if its a dedicated server giving you issues,if it is then well Netgear cant fix that... you could just play another game but then again if you a Codaholic like me,you play Cod with all its shennanigans.Good luck.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 276 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

@brandoff7 Glad to hear stability has improved for you, let us know how you get on with it.

In spectator mode you'll be able to see which server you're connected to and currently playing on, but Geo-filter won't actually be blocking any connections so you could get connected to any server. You won't see a full list of servers as Geo-filter only displays active connections. If you're playing on PC, try using the Call of Duty (PC) option, although if this doesn't work consistely for you it may also help to change your PC's device type to 'Playstation' in Device manager and then re-add the device to Geo-filter.

How do you have QoS configured? This will likely be the best tool for helping with connection issues in-game.

Message 277 of 607
Jinzux
Aspirant

can someone post a video tutorial on how to dowload and install this. im having trouble unziping the files or downloading them on the correct format.

Message 278 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Jinzux
1. Open the zip file with Windows Explorer
2. Drag the .img file to the desktop
3. Access the router interface
4. Go to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update
5. Click browse and select the .img file on the desktop
6. Upgrade
Message 279 of 607
Vicious_Results
Aspirant

From what I see is there are trolls on here making up issues they are not really having. They are also suggesting other pruducts which shouldn't be allowed. Now for me the only issues I see is when you turn off devices and try to use them again on the app it will say devices are offline when they are actually online. Restarting the router fixes this until it happens again. Connection benchmark gives download rating of D no matter what. Since switching to pc cod servers don't show but I'm sure it's because the router is showing my pc as offline. For ppl getting dropped signals and or lag if you are in the US it's most likely your cable provider and or activion servers for cod. My wifi and speeds work flawless. I'm still on the 114 beta because I'm scared to switch after seeing some comments. The funny thing is they said the same about other betas and I never had the issues they had on those either. So I think there are some ppl making things up and trying to discourage the ppl working on this product. The xr500 is the best router I have ever had. Thanks for all your hard work.

Message 280 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Vicious_Results thanks for the kinds words. We are aware of the issues you've mentioned so we'll get those sorted!
Message 281 of 607
spdsk8race
Apprentice

@Jinzux

It sounds like you might be trying to do this from a smart phone. If you are, use Google files to unzip the download from Dropbox, and it's smooth sailing from there. I did make a quick video from my Android device also. Attaching a link form Google drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-_JFLIuBWjw3-UhNO5y19b8iQG7NNZk/view?usp=drivesdk
Message 282 of 607
TMug18
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser @TimChang, I was able to capture a debug log after the latest event when the router was coming online. I could not connect to the router during the DHCP renewal event so this was captured as it was coming back up. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. It would be awesome to get this fixed.

Message 283 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@TMug18 can you upload the whole zip file please and PM them to Tim?
Message 284 of 607
TMug18
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser I tried but it does not allow me to attach zip files or .txt files in a PM. Is there another way I can send it to him?

Message 285 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@TMug18 if you could upload to dropbox or a similar link and provide the link to him that would be great cheers!
Message 286 of 607
TMug18
Tutor

Done. I just sent him a google drive link.

Message 287 of 607
leo_estevez3
Aspirant

Hey so V2.3.2.108 was working flawlessly but I decided to move the geo filter location around and now it doesnt get me into a warzone game. I then realized it thinks im somewhere outside of africa eventhough I live in Maryland (USA), before, when i loaded the game it always put my player where i lived and now im realizing its not

Message 288 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@leo_estevez3 try this please: Hard turn off the console
Remove device from Geo-Filter
Re-sync cloud from Geo-Filter Map menu (if you get a too long message, wait 1 minute then refresh the page and it will have applied)
Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter
Setup the Geo-Filter and put Ping Assist to 0
Wait 2 minutes
Boot up the game
Message 289 of 607
Knightkast
Star

Strict mode blocking Quarrel (discord for consoles) when trying to voice chat. If I take the router out of strict mode open Quarrel and connect I can talk with everyone. Once I am connected I can switch it back to strict mode and still chat with everyone. When I try adding the server to the allowed servers and connect with it in strict mode I have the same problem with not hearing anyone and anyone hearing me. What do I need to do to get it to work in strict mode so I don’t have to log into the router and toggle it off and on every time?
Message 290 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Knightkast there are likely multiple servers they use which may be clustered in the same location so keep checking and allowing those servers, after a few tries you should be able to connect without changing settings.
Message 291 of 607
Knightkast
Star

Aight thanks.
Message 292 of 607
domino138
Guide

Hi guys - does this new firmware have the ability to block internet access for devices according to a time schedule yet?  It's one of the reasons I moved away to dd-wrt but would be interested in coming back and trying out this new firmware release.  Thanks!

Message 293 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@domino138 yes! You can use the Traffic Controller feature to setup rules for individual devices on when you would like to block internet access or only block specific services etc.
Message 294 of 607
leo_estevez3
Aspirant

Im on pc and switch it to console mode do I have to do any different steps? It continues put some random player which I’m assuming is me in the middle of the west African ocean and only pings 1 allowed server in EU when I left the filter over the Texas server in America
Message 295 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@leo_estevez3 do this instead:
Quit the game and game client completely - including from the System tray
Remove device from the Geo-Filter
Resync the cloud
Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter and select the manual option
Set up your radius to cover a further away server - keep Ping Assist on 0
Wait 2 minutes
Boot up the game

You don't appear on the Geo-Filter, the on by Africa is an anomaly, you can ignore that.
Message 296 of 607
domino138
Guide

Great! Sorry to ask this but is there a procedure to move from dd-wrt to duma? Any links appreciated!
Message 297 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@domino138 are you saying you put DD-WRT on the XR500? If so there is nothing specific about that, in theory just uploading the file could work.
Message 298 of 607
domino138
Guide

Hi Fraser - I'm back on DumaOS!  Looking good so far.  Fingers crossed everything works.

I couldn't simply upload the image using the dd-wrt interface; it silently rejected the upload and rebooted the router back into dd-wrt.

I had to follow this procedure instead:  https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client  ...however I need to let people know that the following steps do not reset the router to a state where it accepts the tftp transfer:

Turn router OFF for 10 seconds and then turn it back ON.
Watch the Power LED. It will start with an orange color and then start flashing.
Press PUT button on the Tftpd64 utility to perform the firmware upload.

You need to replace the above three steps with the following:

Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then starts flashing.
Count at least 10 flashes of the power LED and then release the reset button.

Press PUT button on the Tftpd64 utility to perform the firmware upload.

Cheers!

Message 299 of 607
Aboodi12345-
Guide

when will see the auto-setup on QOS 

Message 300 of 607
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7