× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware v2.3.2.120 (XR500)

@Netduma-Fraser , I have read that, but the log is clogged with the notations and corresponding wifi buffering or complete loss of wifi signal.  I've tried turning off the log, which didn't help at all.  Something is going on with this router that Netgear seems incapable of identifying and resolving.  I also am unable to update Netgear firmware when recommended and am told different things when I call-that the update doesn't work with Apple products (good thing nobody in the world uses Apple products) or doesn't apply to my router (then why is there an update prompt on my app and the website).  Any idea what is going on?  I do have to worry about this poor performance for whatever reason because in addition to not being able to work or watch tv or do anything that requires internet, I live in a severe fire hazard zone in Southern CA and rely on wifi for using my phone and emergency warnings about an approaching wildfire.  I'm so frustrated with Netgear!

Message 426 of 607
Philippe2021
Guide

@brendaleighna wrote:

Hey @Alittlegrumpy I have a different router than you do (R800P) but have constant issues installing prompted firmware upgrades.  I've had buffering and complete dropping of my wifi since purchasing in Sept of 2020, when I also purchased a Netgear modem and the extended tech support (save your money if you haven't already purchased this).  I recently learned that my Netgear router is under constant DoS attack.  None of the recommended steps would stop it, so they sent me a replacement that was supposed to be new but is used and has the exact same problem.  Log in to the back end and check your router log.  I am wondering if there is a bigger security issue with these routers.  Netgear has proven themselves to be a joke both with product and support.  Good luck!

Netgear routers tend to create false reports. It's probably nothing. I see the same thing with mine.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 427 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for providing more info, as you're using the R8000P, Fraser and I can't provide too much help with this really as it's not running DumaOS, I'd suggest making a post at the below sub-forum and see if the admins can assist you there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Message 428 of 607

Thank you for your help, @Netduma-Liam

Message 429 of 607
ooG00SEoo
Aspirant

When I run a Benchmark test. My XR500 caps at under 500mbps down. I have 1000mbps connect through xfinity. When I run a speed test on my PC I get a more accurate reading of the download rate. Included are pics of both tests. what can i do to improve my download speed on the XR500? MY PC is Wired. same with my console. speed test on my xr500speed test on my xr500speed test through web browserspeed test through web browser

Message 430 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Is your PC connected directly to the XR500? If so, it looks like Connection Benchmark is reporting the speeds incorrectly, but at least you're still getting full speeds.

Did you also factory reset the XR500 when you upgraded the firmware?

Message 431 of 607
xThePhantom
Initiate

Betreff: New Firmware v2.3.2.120 (XR500)

Hi Guys,

I just want to give my opinion on the new beta version DumaOS 3.0.
Before I loaded it onto my XR500, I read here and there, of course. The comments & opinions in the community regarding DumarOS 3.0 Beta had put me off a little, but then I thought, no risk no fun: D
3.0 Beta Version's file load onto the router, wait a moment until it throws me back into the menu & as the last step, reset the router to factory settings.
So, everything worked fine for me, even my ping improved: D
So far everything is going tip top!

Message 432 of 607
ooG00SEoo
Aspirant

Yes my PC is connected directly to the router and yes I did a factory reset when i upgraded the firmware. so you are saying the benchmark test is reporting incorrectly? is there a fix for that? or should i just go with what speeds i recieve on speedtest.net?

Message 433 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@ooG00SEoo yes that's correct, we need to work on getting it to report more accurately - you can go with speedtest.net - those will be the speeds you're actually getting
Message 434 of 607
Flavs
Initiate

Edit: Nvm I'm straight up retarded, i fixed my issue sorry for this reply.
Message 435 of 607
tlim123
Aspirant

Is wireless clients on different 2.4 / 5G communication fixed in this 2.3.2.120? Currently on 2.3.2.114 and its still an issue. Clients on different wireless SSIDs can only ping each but cannot access any services such as NAS, IP cameras. It seems that apart from ICMP, all other port traffic has been blocked. This is a very basic requirements of a wireless router, how can it not perform this function?

Message 436 of 607
Philippe2021
Guide

@tlim123 wrote:

Is wireless clients on different 2.4 / 5G communication fixed in this 2.3.2.120? Currently on 2.3.2.114 and its still an issue. Clients on different wireless SSIDs can only ping each but cannot access any services such as NAS, IP cameras. It seems that apart from ICMP, all other port traffic has been blocked. This is a very basic requirements of a wireless router, how can it not perform this function?

No it is still not fixed. Samba, nfs, ssh and probably other things still do not work by wifi if the XR500 is in router mode. It's a major issue. That should be fixed in emergency. And indeed, ping works.

Message 437 of 607
LiLAsN
Star

Hi. I've given it some time and yes, using Guest WiFi network is a lot more stable. It doesn't just abruptly have no internet access after a period of time of not using the phone which is still connected to the WiFi all the time.

Any reason why this is happening and as a result, using the Guest WiFi network, that this becomes almost a non-issue?

Message 438 of 607
tlim123
Aspirant

Anyone know when the software fix will come and if any temporary work around?

Message 439 of 607
mathmath51
Apprentice

Well It has been in beta for a year now.

I don't think it's a priority for Netgear at all, just a cash grab to "compete" with Asus or TP-Link on this segment.

Broken router features are NETGEAR's responsibility when Netduma  only provide the gaming features. It seems this organization is not working at all.

Proof is Netduma launched their own router a few month ago.

Move on, by an other router and blacklist that brand.

Message 440 of 607
Raf1212
Apprentice

@mathmath51 in Raf1212 they have and that's it, a router that does work even on the official software, you are right I agree with you, they are not filling your pockets, but worry you the new R2 router does work properly, I look at the netdum forum

Message 441 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

@tlim123 Netgear are aware of it and are working to resolve it for the full release of DumaOS 3.0 on NG, but unfortuantely we haven't received an ETA for it so I can't provide a date I'm afraid.

@mathmath51 I can certainly understand your frustration, we're doing our best and chasing NG for an update, but it's a complicated issue and requires a lot of research to find the root cause. Also, we released the R1 long before our partnership with NG and the R2 was always in the works regardless of our other partnerships.

@Raf1212 You'd expect to see a lot of problems reported on our forum, as it's a support forum where people can report issues. If you're an R2 user and are experiencing issues please feel free to make a new topic over there and we can certainly help.

Message 442 of 607
Philippe2021
Guide

You mean that the duma R2 router has also this issue with wifi ?

Message 443 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you feel that way, thanks for voicing your opinion nonetheless.

Message 444 of 607
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

@Philippe2021 Some users have experienced disconnections, albeit not many relative to the amount of people using an R2. Regardless, it's a problem we've worked on dilligently and are currently testing a promising solution for it.

Message 445 of 607
ivanrei
Star

Hi,

During today’s Netgear’s Tech support live youtube stream I asked them if they had any updates about the XR500 DumaOS 3.0 beta as it has been more than a year since it was announced by them on youtube. Same reply basically no ETA….here is their reply https://youtu.be/qtPhlpzBQtQ at 9:10.
Message 446 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@ivanrei although its disappointing that there is no ETA it is great that they're hearing all the feedback and hopefully that means together it won't be too much longer
Message 447 of 607
Philippe2021
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
@ivanreialthough its disappointing that there is no ETA it is great that they're hearing all the feedback and hopefully that means together it won't be too much longer

I don't understand why it is so complicated to unblock the ports which are blocked by wifi... Especially because everything works fine by ethernet...

Message 448 of 607
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Phillippe2021 it's not just a case of unblocking ports, otherwise you could do that with port forwarding
Message 449 of 607
truthx7
Guide

I did a speed test on my series x connected to the Ethernet port and got over 1300 Mbps.i was surprised that the router gigabit Ethernet ports went beyond it's capacity.has anyone heard or seen these numbers go this high on the xr500 gigabit ports?I have another question,is it possible to change my series x console mtu settings on router side.i cant seem to figure it out.
Message 450 of 607
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7