× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New XR1000 Router Much Slower d/l than old r7800

JediD2
Aspirant

New XR1000 Router Much Slower d/l than old r7800

We have 400/20 from our ISP (Spectrum). We had a r7800 router, and a CM500 modem. Modem was roughly 5-6 years old, and the router was about 4 years old. House is 2 story, 9 years old, and 1850 square feet. Modem connection is downstairs at the back of the house. We have 25 devices connected wirelessly to the dual-band router, and of those devices 3 of them are AX.

Our old Nighthawk r7800 was having a lot of disconnection issues, after working flawlessly since we purchased it. Most of the disconnects were on the 2.4 band, with most of the devices there. Disconnects happened daily for some devices, and weekly for others. Rarely did we have diconnects on the 5 band. We decided to replace and upgrade to the new XR1000, after reading rave reviews for previous models. The new router is rock solid and stable (for the week we've had it). That being said, the download speeds on the XR1000 are horrible compared to what we had prior. 

Old d/l speeds on Xbox One X (AC) were 150+ Mbps, Steam/Uplay/bnet/etc, were 52Mbps. The Xbox is about 6 feet away from the router, and the PC mentioned is upstairs on the opposite side of the house.

Speeds on the new router are Xbox around 60Mbps, Steam/Uplay/bnet (AX) around 20-25Mbps. Speedtest.net shows higher download speeds than our old router peaking around 500Mbps (with a 420-450) average. When I turn on the Bandwidth Allocation in DumaOS, those Speedtest results dropped to under 100 Mbps, and d/l speeds on the AX PC dropped to an average of 11Mbps.

Outside of Speedtests, the download is just much slower overall, on basically every device. I'm at a loss, and feel like we downgraded (at the loss of staility). We want both. I'll upload some screenshots of my settings. Please advise as we are leaning towards returning this router for something else.

Message 1 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

Re: New XR1000 Router Much Slower d/l than old r7800

The system wouldn't let me post any pictures....weird.

Message 2 of 14
TTedd
Aspirant

To me it sounds likley you have a QOS setting interfering with throughput.  Either device or data type limited. I recemmend you check your settings in QOS section. Suggestions offered below.  

Bandwidth DOWN and UP speeds are set to what?  Do the down/up speeds match your speedtest values?  Example 400/20 you might see 385/18 as example averaging across multiple tests.  Set speeds to these values. Personally I round down to nearest 5Mbps for downlaods and nearest 1Mbps for uploads on my asymetrical cable setup.

Congestion % is set to what?  Typically try setting to 85% of max bandwidth for up and down.

Congestion mangement is set to always off,  auto detect or always on?  Always on will always limit max up and down to values set by congestion limits.  Auto on = only limits when detecting gaming traffic, off = ignores % limits go to 100%

QOS is setup by application data type or by device? This assigns a % of the bandwidth as a portion of the active congestion bandwidth to the data type or device - subject to share excess setting. In QOS is share excess bandwidth set to ON or OFF for uploads and downloads? If you want a hard bandwidth limit to be applied set share excess to off.   Typically for asymetrical cable I would leave share excess on for downloads, and turn off share excess for uploads.   This will hard cap uploads to data type or device, hence you will see greatly reduced upload speeds in any device testing throughput through router.  It will soft cap dpwnloads subject to what other device/data types loads are seen on system.

Device prioritization.  Is this turned on or off and do you have a device added?  Typically turn it on and no need to a device as system auto detect gaming traffic reasonably well.  If a device is added here and you are measuring throughput on another device this can have a mpact on your other devices throughout especially if this priotized device is actively senidng / receiving on the network.

See if these setting can be adjusted to give a better result.

Message 3 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

I condensed all of the photos into one picture. Some overlap others' empty space, so they're kind of just all over. Does any of this help?

Message 4 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You've not told the router the speeds that you have, it's currently set to 100/100. In the Congestion Control 3 line option in the top left of the panel edit the speeds to what you actually get, then see if your speeds increase.
Message 5 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

I actually did that, after posting that screenshot. Speeds have not really changed at all. At first they looked better, by a little bit, but after trying a few large file downloads it almost evened out with what it was before.

Also in the past two days we've been experiencing a ton of disconnects, across multiple devices, on both bands.

Does anybody have further input, or should I return it? I've checked almost daily for firmware updates.
Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Armor? If so disable that, does that resolve the issues you've had?
Message 7 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

I just disabled Armor, didn't even think about it honestly, and saw a peak speed 10Mbps higher for downloading through Steam (than the previous router), and about 2-3x higher with this router. Now to wait the weekend and see if the disconnects cease.

I did request a return for refund earlier, but if this solves the issue then we'll just keep this router.

I'll post back here either way. 

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great thanks for the update so far, fingers crossed it continues to work, do let us know.
Message 9 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to give everything some extra time as I wasn't home to use the network this weekend much.

So, disconnects are still happening. About 3 devices do disconnect regularly. 2-3 others connections are spotty. My Ring doorbell takes forever to load (longer than before). It's definitely better than it was with Armor turned on though. I downloaded a file last night at 760KBps, woooo!

Any other ideas?
Message 10 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? Some devices have trouble switching between 2.4/5GHz so disable that and connect them individually to 2.4 or 5 and see if that helps.
Message 11 of 14
JediD2
Aspirant

Nope, I manually connected every device to the desired band. Sometimes the devices will show connected without service until i disconnect them manually from the network, and then reconnect them (forget network them reconnect to the same network).
Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Use a WiFi analyzer to check if you're using a congested channel and change to the least congested.
Message 13 of 14
GClubs38
Initiate

I purchased this router yesterday and struggled installing from the Nighthawk App on my smartphone for the better part of yesterday and most of today.  Speeds were awful, drop signals, etc. At that point I did a reset on the router and started over by installing via the browser, using the default gateway IP of 192.168.1.1.  I used Firefox and cleared the cache before beginning the install.  DumaOS and the router work flawlessly...  Certainly not the expert of many here, but this worked and thought I'd share it....

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7