× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Question?

Rainyi
Tutor

Router Question?

Curious question I had in the back of my mind. What considered better between the XR500 and the R8000 router? Just wanna know your thoughts behind this? Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask this question here.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Router Question?

You're allowed to ask questions. That's the whole purpose of a forum. 🙂

Like @Netduma-Fraser says, the XR500 is optimized for gaming. 

There's some dispute of dual band vs triband. the XR500 is dual band versus the R8000 Is triband. 

With that said, in my experience, the dual band is going to be slightly faster on peak speeds for 5ghz but the R8000 lets you spread devices out a little more between the 2x 5ghz bands. 

There both going to cover roughly the same range/area.

The Xr500 will have a little higher peak speeds and gaming performance. 

The R8000 might be a bit better for more concurrent usage (even thats debated)

A better plan might be to tell us what your home size (and whats its made of), what your plan is (gaming/work/streaming) and what your budget is. Plus what your current setup is. There might be alternatives or better options. (like mesh, upgrading to AX, adding extenders to current setup, etc)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're asking in the Pro Gaming section so I would be a bit biased here! The XR500 has software specifically tailored to ensure you get the best connection when online gaming or even if you're just streaming a lot and suffering buffering. Any questions let us know!
Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

You're allowed to ask questions. That's the whole purpose of a forum. 🙂

Like @Netduma-Fraser says, the XR500 is optimized for gaming. 

There's some dispute of dual band vs triband. the XR500 is dual band versus the R8000 Is triband. 

With that said, in my experience, the dual band is going to be slightly faster on peak speeds for 5ghz but the R8000 lets you spread devices out a little more between the 2x 5ghz bands. 

There both going to cover roughly the same range/area.

The Xr500 will have a little higher peak speeds and gaming performance. 

The R8000 might be a bit better for more concurrent usage (even thats debated)

A better plan might be to tell us what your home size (and whats its made of), what your plan is (gaming/work/streaming) and what your budget is. Plus what your current setup is. There might be alternatives or better options. (like mesh, upgrading to AX, adding extenders to current setup, etc)

Message 3 of 12
Rainyi
Tutor

I currently live in a house with my family of 5. The house is currently like 60-70 years old and is made out of oak wood and it has 2 floors 3 if you want to count the basement but no one uses except for storage. We did by the XR500 with the Ex7700 extender I have that currently upstairs and even where it is it has a amber like saying it has good connect but not the best. By the way our house is shape like a square basically not sure how I would explain it.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

To try and boost the range with the XR at the moment put the router antennae like this _ | | _ so two pointing straight up and one either side pointing outwards
Message 5 of 12
Rainyi
Tutor

So you would put the 2 antennaes on side upwards and the two on the back sideways?

Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would do it the other way around personally but yes that would work
Message 7 of 12
Rainyi
Tutor

I was just a little confused becuase the attenaes on the side can only go back and forth and not sideways and the attenaes on back of the router can go sideways but not back and forth.

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have attached a picture of what it looks like

Message 9 of 12
Rainyi
Tutor

Oh that what I thought at first but I didn't know that the ateneas could go that way. I didn't want to break it or anything.

Message 10 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They're fairly sturdy so shouldn't be any problem with breaking them
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Rainyi wrote:

I currently live in a house with my family of 5. The house is currently like 60-70 years old and is made out of oak wood and it has 2 floors 3 if you want to count the basement but no one uses except for storage. We did by the XR500 with the Ex7700 extender I have that currently upstairs and even where it is it has a amber like saying it has good connect but not the best. By the way our house is shape like a square basically not sure how I would explain it.

60-70 years old and made from oak. Does it have plaster lathe walls? Many of the older homes used that instead of sheetrock. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7