× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Secure/Open Nat Filtering on Beta Firmware for XR500?

thornedwayne
Follower

Secure/Open Nat Filtering on Beta Firmware for XR500?

I decided to try the new latest beta firmware on my XR500. It was still running the old last known stable firmware. After updating the firmware I did a reset. I renetered my ports neccesary for Modern Warfare (PC). To my suprise on the latest beta firmware I was getting a moderate NAT type whereas on the old firmware it was open. 

So the only way I can fix this is by selecting "open" in my WAN settings for NAT filtering. This gives me a "open" nat type in cod again. Is there any risk of leaving it this way? Has anyone reported this issue? When I am on the old stable firmware it runs perfectly fine without having to touch that setting so I just left it always on secured. 

Appreciate the Advice,

thornedwayne 

Old Firmware I was on: 2.3.2.114

New Firmware I am on:  v2.3.2.120

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Secure/Open Nat Filtering on Beta Firmware for XR500?

It's possible it was just a misreading caused by the Geo-Filter. NAT Open option relaxes the firewall but the firewall is still on so it is safe. I usually recommend it as the easiest way to get an Open NAT and I also use it on my home connection.
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Secure/Open Nat Filtering on Beta Firmware for XR500?

NAT Filter is only recommended to set to OPEN if you have two or more same devices playing same game behind the router. 

@thornedwayne wrote:

I decided to try the new latest beta firmware on my XR500. It was still running the old last known stable firmware. After updating the firmware I did a reset. I renetered my ports neccesary for Modern Warfare (PC). To my suprise on the latest beta firmware I was getting a moderate NAT type whereas on the old firmware it was open. 

So the only way I can fix this is by selecting "open" in my WAN settings for NAT filtering. This gives me a "open" nat type in cod again. Is there any risk of leaving it this way? Has anyone reported this issue? When I am on the old stable firmware it runs perfectly fine without having to touch that setting so I just left it always on secured. 

Appreciate the Advice,

thornedwayne 

Old Firmware I was on: 2.3.2.114

New Firmware I am on:  v2.3.2.120

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7