× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slower than replaced Xfinity modem

sscape
Tutor

Slower than replaced Xfinity modem

Why do I feel like saying "Whoops" after spending almost $500 for the CM 2000 Modem and XR1000 Wireless router? I am a full 25% slower than I was with the 4 year old Xfinity/Comcast Modem I had been using until I unplugged from them. Getting to tech support is an incredible challenge, and I thought I was buying a great network system. Apparently not. The app sucks too, sometimes it doesn't even see that I have the equipment at all. Glad I saved the boxes, these are going back!

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
sscape
Tutor

I'm not getting anywhere here. Thanks Guys- delete the post if you want. I am going to follow up with Netgear Support, if I can get them on the phone, and my ISP too because this perfomance isn't close to worth the expense. It is basically unchanged from before the "upgrade".

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what actual speeds are you getting? 

Wired? 

Wireless? 2.4ghz? 5ghz?

how are you testing? many test sites struggle with speeds over 500mbps. 

what device are you testing on?

What speeds do you get hardwired into the modem?

Its easy to blame new equipment but it could be setup/settings/testing thats causing the slow down

Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear of your experience so far. If you're interested in troubleshooting this so we can help you improve your results, the above questions from plemans are a great place to start.

If you're referring to the DumaOS App, it's currently in Alpha so there will be some small bugs around, although it's pretty good for the most part. We're constantly working on it so it's only going to get better over time.

Message 3 of 15
sscape
Tutor

I can't select the right model for the post so I am including it here: CM200 Modem and XR1000 WiFi Router both purchased July 1, 2021 and installed July 17th. Firmware version 1.0.052_1.0.0.38 which is up to date.

I appreciate you guys piping in and I acknowledge this post is born of frustration. Things are looking better this morning. I have to learn these devices that I was excited to purchase but I was expecting a more hands off approach and less manual reading. It's not hard to replace a modem, I am not a novice, but it was not that easy, I had to re-install the app several times because it was not seeing the equipment. The 15 minutes I expected took 2.5 frustrating hours. Tech nowadays sometimes does too much automatically and that creates confusion, for me anyway. Even when I thought I was all set, the app would lose the equipment again, and again, and want to do a start-up.

When I did  the Xfinity speed test this morning from my wired PC , I got 486.7down 11.2 up and 18ms ping which is great but it is not appreciably more than what I had with the old Xfinity modem I turned in on the 17th. That unit was at least 3-4 years old and I opted to buy the Netgear instead of taking a new Xfinity modem home for $14 a month.

When I do the speed test from the Nighthawk app I get 386.03 12.26 and 19 ping- so that is my wireless speed, I assume, correct? 

My wife and I both work from home now so I wanted to optimize our network. The wireless speed from her notebook right now is 177Mbs. I am going to wire her up when I am done with this novel. I noticed her phone and mine both alternately on 5ghz and 2.4ghz at various times of the day. Her signal was and is terrible with 1 bar. I know there are a lot of moving parts to that but the fact remains on that one device her wifi signal is clearly not better or as good as it was. Thanks guys.

Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The Nighthawk app does a speed test directly from the router. Have you entered the speeds you expect on the Congestion Control page? For WiFi, turn the mode down on 5GHz from the 4000 range to the one below and it should be better
Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

The built in speedtest through the app isn't reliable over 500mbps as it rarely picks a decent server to test off. 

I'd recommend testing hardwired and try several sites/servers for testing. 

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN from the ISP? 

Be sure to check the wired speeds with a PC directly connected to the CM modem...

@sscape wrote:

Why do I feel like saying "Whoops" after spending almost $500 for the CM 2000 Modem and XR1000 Wireless router? I am a full 25% slower than I was with the 4 year old Xfinity/Comcast Modem I had been using until I unplugged from them. Getting to tech support is an incredible challenge, and I thought I was buying a great network system. Apparently not. The app sucks too, sometimes it doesn't even see that I have the equipment at all. Glad I saved the boxes, these are going back!

Message 7 of 15
sscape
Tutor

I did and that was in my last post: "from my wired PC , I got 486.7down 11.2 up and 18ms ping which is great but it is not appreciably more than what I had with the old Xfinity modem I turned in .."  That was done through the Xfinity online speedtest, and I am sure the speed I have now is approximately what I had before the new Netgear.  Last I recall before "upgrade" it was in the 470s from the ISP through their older modem. Did I expect more? Yes, I did.  

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

That modem is capable of more. 

Are you paying for faster speeds? 

the ISP provisions it for the speeds you pay for. 

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you referring to the mode that you changed?
Message 10 of 15
sscape
Tutor

Yup! Performance Internet- $81 and Speed Upgrade- $20 more

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

What actual speed is that?
Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you put your expected speeds in Bandwidth settings and what QoS settings are you using?
Message 13 of 15
sscape
Tutor

I'm not getting anywhere here. Thanks Guys- delete the post if you want. I am going to follow up with Netgear Support, if I can get them on the phone, and my ISP too because this perfomance isn't close to worth the expense. It is basically unchanged from before the "upgrade".

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, we'll keep it open anyway in case you want to troubleshoot this or have any questions!

Sorry XR1000 didn't appear to be what you'd expected, let us know if you need anything else though!

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7