× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Line for a new Beta?

Xcel
Apprentice

Time Line for a new Beta?

Any idea when we can expect it, getting really tired of resetting the router 4-5 times a day.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The last information I was given was that we were waiting for the green light from the NG QA team so depends on if they flag any issues or not. Assuming not then within the next few weeks it should be.
Message 2 of 40
Xcel
Apprentice

Anything that is released could not possibly be as bad as what we currently have

Message 3 of 40
mreich1978
Apprentice

I am not expecting a new beta in 2020. they have been promising an update since the middle of september. now they are saying they are waiting on netgear to approve it. sounds like the duma team is in over their heads on this project. this entire process has been an embarrassment for netduma.

Message 4 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well the latest update was released in the middle of September. If I explain the process maybe that will make it easier to understand:
1. Fixes/features are developed
2. Netduma test
3. If issues are found return to 1) If no issues are found continue to 4)
4. Our changes are merged with NG software to make a build
5. Netduma/Netgear test
6. If issues are found return to 1) If no issues are found continue to 7)
7. Release

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it and doesn't include all of it but you can see why it isn't a quick process.
Message 5 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the beta is not work for you then to make the XR router more stable, return to a FW version that does resolve your problem. 

@Xcel wrote:

Any idea when we can expect it, getting really tired of resetting the router 4-5 times a day.

Message 6 of 40
Xcel
Apprentice

Ha, guess the joke is on me since the release versions are just as bad for me and I was instructed to go to the beta and then wait for them to fix it. I am not at all confident that the new beta release will solve the issues but I am hopeful. Worst piece of consumer electronics I have ever owned. 

Message 7 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

I've not had any reboot problems with my XR450 on release FW. The 450 is same HW as the 500 sans the 2.4Ghz radio connection rate. 

Might try again and see. WIth out more info, kind of hard to tell if there is a FW issue or not. If yoru seeing reboots using multiple FW versions, possible either you have a netowrk wireless environment problem or possible the 500 is just faulty. Try the router at a different location as well.

Does the router reboot if you disable the wifi radios and just run the router wired only? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 8 of 40
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've not had any reboot problems with my XR450 on release FW. The 450 is same HW as the 500 sans the 2.4Ghz radio connection rate. 

Might try again and see. WIth out more info, kind of hard to tell if there is a FW issue or not. If yoru seeing reboots using multiple FW versions, possible either you have a netowrk wireless environment problem or possible the 500 is just faulty. Try the router at a different location as well.

Does the router reboot if you disable the wifi radios and just run the router wired only? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

To be fair I would not expect a competing wifi network to cause router lock ups or internet drops on the router itself. I would expect that maybe the WIFI signal would suffer and the wifi speeds to router to be degraded but not every device on the router including wired to no longer have access to the internet. I too have had this issue on both stock firmware and the latest beta. It seems to be a QOS issue for me. I have a PC and an XBOX both wired, haven't used the xbox for about 10 days and have had no problems during that time with loss of internet. When I do get the issue I can sometimes recover it by disabling QOS. However if I re enable QOS the problem appears again shortly after requiring a reboot. At one stage it was happening twice a day. The fact it has happened to me on stock firmware doesn't instill any confidence in this product. Maybe its just bad hardware, maybe its my tp-link 8 port switch I have connected to one of the ports which has a few devices on it like smart home stuff and Sky TV boxes. In any case, the router is the issue and it should be able to handle any of this. I never had any problems on my old Sky ISP supplied router with exactly the same setup.

Message 9 of 40
Xcel
Apprentice

I do not believe it is wireless issue. I can watch the system info screen and know almost exactly when the router will drop connections (wired and wireless connections), UI will not load, and sometimes the router will self reboot. When the on a fresh boot, the RAM Usage is about 55% free, the Cache slowly creeps up and when there is about 10-15% free space left is when it craps out. 

Message 10 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a possible HW issue with your unit. Have a friend or famiy member that you could take it to to see if this happens annd follows? if it does, then I would presume the router is just fauly and needs replaced. Seems like if this has been happening regardless of FW versions, this maybe a HW issue that FW updates won't fix. 

Message 11 of 40
Xcel
Apprentice

Nope, bought a brand new one from Amazon a few weeks ago, same issue. Returned to Amazon as defective.

Message 12 of 40
DOGGY19
Tutor

Hello i would like to know how after all that testing between you and ng we still end up with a bad firmware. You told us your process that dont work bit like my xr500 the worst bit of kit i have wasted money on . If i had a console great but for pc gaming its rubbish 

Message 13 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What issues are you having specifically regarding PC gaming?
Message 14 of 40
DOGGY19
Tutor

Hi i find the QOS not to work very well traffic prioritization only works if i set my pc up as a xbox and geo filter is a waste so from the pc side dont seem to have many options. also looks on youtube all you see are setups for xbox and playstation

Message 15 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What games are you playing on PC? Geo-Filter still works on the PC, not all PC games allow you to pick servers.
Message 16 of 40
DOGGY19
Tutor

Hi i play mostly call of duty

Message 17 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Definitely works for Call of Duty. Give the PC a PlayStation device type in the Device Manager and re-add it to the Geo-Filter using the manual option. Then you can filter it just as if you were on a console.
Message 18 of 40
DOGGY19
Tutor

Ok i understand that but please tell me why i have to set my pc up as a xbox or playstation to get geo to work i gather it wont work if left on computer which is my argument the xr500 is mostly for consoles and not pc for gaming. Thanks for your replies i know it sounds picky but thats how i see it 

Message 19 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

With PC games we have to update DPI frequently as it changes so often, that is why I personally recommend doing that so it works all the time for the user.
Message 20 of 40
DOGGY19
Tutor

Hi Frazer thanks for relpy

Message 21 of 40
radioactive
Aspirant

As my first question was ignored I will ask again. Are we gonna get the adblock on the next Duma beta release? If not then I will send that crap xr500 back to Amazon as I don't have that many weeks left.

Message 22 of 40
mreich1978
Apprentice

I would say send it back. Purchase a Raspberry PI (Install pihole) and use that for DNS & DHCP. Netgear and the duma team have given up on this update, so return it and purchase something that will work and is supported by the devs.
Message 23 of 40

We were having new beta releases every couple of weeks back around september and now we are going months without any update.

Message 24 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@radioactive it is entirely up to Netgear as to whether they want to include it (I assume they would) but I couldn't give any indication at this stage as to when it could be at all.

@Brainbleach it has been slower I admit but it shouldn't be too much longer for the next build.
Message 25 of 40
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7