× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Line for a new Beta?

Raf1212
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser something new when update

Message 26 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Raf1212 please read the response above yours. No need to ask, I will provide news when I have it.
Message 27 of 40
bryer84
Apprentice

I've been pretty vocal about the lack of support for the XR500 BETA, and the fact that a lot of the issues with the stable release that Netgear support will advise to try the Beta, that's how I got involved, but that made it worse.

The router is broken, and people that say it's working fine for them either don't have the knowledge of the product to spot the issues, or they don't use the key features of the router in the way that Netduma have engineered them.

For example, I reported issues (24/9/20) with QoS and IPv6 not working together, this is a MAJOR bug in my opinion, as QoS blocks the router issuing out IPv6 addresses to devices, my ISP is aiming to get rid of IPv4, and make it their secondary, so I have to have it enabled to get support from ISP, I've spent £300 on the XR500, so would expect it to work. However disabling the IPv6 feature fixes things, it creates other bugs in the QoS system, which has apparently been fixed when they release the next build.

While I fully understand the product cycles etc, what I cannot agree with, is how Netgear are treating this BETA like a finished product, and won't release emergency updates to fix core parts of the router. We've had NOTHING from Netgear directly on this, so I feel they don't take the issues reported seriously. 

A build is needed ASAP to fix some of the issues people have had to push through for 3 months. Saying that it's "coming soon" isn't good enough. A deadline needs to be given to Netgear to get something out there, so that people can actually use the devices properly, as if there are still bugs in the next build, we've got to wait another 3-6 months for a patch for those issues. Monthly releases are how you test software, not quarterly.

I've been left with no choice but to add the XR500 back into my secondary network as my wife now works from home, but I'm seriously looking at alternatives and they aren't Netgear products and that's an expense I can do without in these pandemic times.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 28 of 40
mreich1978
Apprentice

I agree with you 100%. The way there are no updates for major issues, threads being lock or deleted, and just overall lack any genuine concern for the community and bull**bleep** responses from netduma. This has been abandoned. Just remember there are a lot of great deals happening next week on hardware. It is way past time for me to get a new router that is supported by the devs
Message 29 of 40
bryer84
Apprentice

Yeah just bagged a ASUS RT-AC86U as a stop gap while things get worked out on the XR500 from Amazon in their Black Friday offerings. 

Message 30 of 40
Raf1212
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser jokes,if I knew that such things would go wrong with the software, never, I repeat, I would never buy an xr 500, now I can't return it, and what should I do with this paper clip, please answer, even version 66 is broken, pings in all games are up to 20/30 ms higher than the ISP router, I don't want this comam router to do now

Message 31 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've been told the XR500 is imminent and that it is much more stable than this current version so please hold out until that version and it should be heading in the right direction.
Message 32 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Users need to be more patient as well. Your in beta test group and testing beta FW. There will be bugs and problems seen. Bugs can't be fiixed over night. Stop bothering the forum modertors about new FW udpates. They have no control on when the beta or relase FW gets made available for users to download and use. If your not patient enough to wait for next FW builds then you should exit from the beta program and go back to Release FW. If your seem to have problems on release FW, then either post in the Gameing router forum or make contact with NG support to have them help you. 

Thank you, 

Message 33 of 40
Raf1212
Apprentice

@FURRYe38  as far as i know the beta is already open group, i just lost patience, but answer honestly if this is normal beta testing 5 months and it is full of holes like a swiss cheese, and i have already returned to 66 which is a lot to think about @Netduma-Fraser Yes, I will wait because what should I do, no one will even buy this router

Message 34 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Open or not, it's a beta, there will be bugs and it DOES take time during beta to collect bugs and weed out, review and fix them. Just takes time. So if users are patient enough to let the beta grow, then users need to go back to release. 

This router has been out for 3 years now. People have already bought the router. I enjoy my XR450. Working well on it's beta build. 

Message 35 of 40
bryer84
Apprentice

You clearly didn't read the post.

NG support recommend updating to the BETA firmware to rectify the majority of problems.

The firmware has some huge bugs that make it unusable, which we've been waiting 3 months to have fixed.

Rolling back to the release firmware doesn't solve some of the issues being experienced.
Message 36 of 40
Jawwk
Star

I really hope NG can get this update out soon, I have been using my ISP router in the meantime without issues but it doesn't have qos managment settings. XR500 has been collecting dust. 😞

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 37 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

And clearly bagering moderators here in the forums will surely help solve them as well. Smiley Frustrated

Has anyone gone back to test intiial FW versions. 

Seems that "some" users are having NO problems, which tells me it's not FW. If both stock and Beta FW are not solving problems for "some", then maybe either problems are with the configuration of the router, ISP service or the router could be just faulty and needs replaced. 

Something you'll need to discuss with NG official support directly. 

Good Luck.

Message 38 of 40
bryer84
Apprentice

If you read my post, the issues I've got have been acknowledged as broken by the Netduma representative.

Netgear support told me to try the beta to resolve the issues I have been having, rolling back to the release reintroduces the original issues I was experiencing.

So I haven't been able to use the XR500 since September.

While your input is respected, your attitude is the exact problem with NG and ND. You keep burying your head in the sand and enjoy your XR450 if it's working as expected.

Thanks and good luck.
Message 39 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Sure thing. Guess you'll all have to be patient and wait then. 

Good Luck. 

Message 40 of 40
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7