× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade xr500 due to network congestion with neighbors for ps5

niewiado
Apprentice

Upgrade xr500 due to network congestion with neighbors for ps5

Hello netduma/netgear - I currently have an xr500 running the latest 3.0 beta and it’s been very stable thankfully. My issue is not with the beta however. I find that maybe once or twice a week I’m running into packet loss on my ps5. I usually then fire up a network analyzer and find that some of my closer in proximity neighbors have changed their 5ghz primary band to be the same as mine. I switch mine then but again it’s usually no more than a week until I run into issues again and start the process over.

My question is: since the ps5 does ship with WiFi 6 support, would upgrading to an xr1000 improve my situation significantly? I know WiFi 6 is supposed to improve congestion of many devices logged onto the same network, but this seems more to be a interference problem. Perhaps waiting for WiFi 6E is a better option?
Thanks
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Without the auto channel option for 5GHz that will continue to happen. WiFi 6 does eliminate interference from nearby networks so actually that would help.
Message 2 of 6
niewiado
Apprentice

Wouldn’t a channel switch during a gaming session be pretty disruptive? Is auto channel switching an available feature on the xr1000?

Are you saying even without auto channel switching, WiFi 6 would help in the instance where the ps5 is the lone WiFi 6 device and it needs to share the band with other WiFi 5 client devices, some on the network and some on outside “interfering” networks?

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not available for 5GHz at all on any XR router, it happens all the time on 2.4GHz and have never seen a problem. Yes even without that WiFi 6 should still help with this issue as it does help with interference.
Message 4 of 6
niewiado
Apprentice

I see that WiFi 6E is the next big thing on the horizon. Are you able to comment on any upcoming routers that would support 6ghz and run Netduma 3.0 as an OS? Thanks for all your prompt replies.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Unfortunately I don't have any information on that sort of stuff just yet, definitely hoping it's a possibility in the future though!

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7