× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

#### - WiFi calling doesn't work

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

#### - WiFi calling doesn't work

@brian4n

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/Issue-reporting-thread-POST-NEW-ISS...

"Wanted to let everyone know WIFI Calling still breaks up and disconnects in this new firmware.  I am able to get around the issue by creating a guest SSID just for my Iphone XS and wifi calling.  Talk for for 3-10 seconds and my voice is gone (dropped).  It's def. a firmware issue and not hardware given it works on the guest network."

Message 1 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

Re: #### - WiFi calling doesn't work

Can confirm having the same issue with this firmware on EE in the UK using a OnePlus 8 Pro. 

VoWiFi worked fine on previous build and also on other networks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know. Does using a guest WiFi network resolve it for you as well?
Message 3 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

Not been able to test if I'm honest. Will do tomorrow if I get time.

Just quickly set one up. No it doesn't work for me.

However switching to my 2.4ghz network and it works fine. Was having issues with Amoung Us on 5 GHz WiFi too. Changing to 2.4 band cleared that up too.

Might be a bug in ping packets on the 5ghz side as that's what will prevent VoWiFi and corresponds to the errors popping up in Amoung Us.

Furthermore, after not having VoWifi all night and changing to my 2.4ghz network and then back to my 5ghz network, VoWiFi is now working on the 5ghz band again.
Message 4 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well 5GHz has less penetration power than 2.4GHz so it depends how far away you are from the router/how many walls between you as to how stable 5GHz would be.
Message 5 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

It didn't work full stop until connecting to the 2.4ghz network. I was sat in the same room. Signal is strong throughout my house on 5ghz, worked flawlessly on previous firmware.
Message 6 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Use a WiFi analyzer for 5GHz and see if you are on a congested channel as that could be affecting it.
Message 7 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

Non congested channel as it's the same one used since previous stable release.

Checked with analyser and I'm the only visible 5ghz network.
Message 8 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great, thanks for letting us know!
Message 9 of 21
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

Would you help to disable QoS (See attached picture.) and see if WiFi calling can work in main WIFI network?

Message 10 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

Disabling QoS has allowed the router to route the VoWiFi connections to the relevant phones.

Re enabled QoS and it's still working including after a reboot of the router.
Message 11 of 21
bryer84
Apprentice

I think we can safely say that QoS is the cause of 90% of the current problems. Not sure what you guys did from the last stable version to this but boy it's a minefiled to pick it apart and get stuff working.

Message 12 of 21
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@Netduma-Fraser  May need your comments on this. Recently, in DumaOS2.0, we also solve same issue by disabling the QoS.

Message 13 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@TimChang I have made an internal ticket for the issue so our team will look into it.
Message 14 of 21

I am also having the same issue with wifi calling not working on my iPhone 10 XR.

Message 15 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I was trying to call my bank 10 times yesterday because of Wi-Fi calling and Wi-Fi calling wouldn’t work and I’m in a bad cell cellular area whenever I tried calling my bank and ever and everyone else I kept getting disconnected every like 10 or 30 seconds
Message 16 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I feel like downgrading to the older update for now
Message 17 of 21
niewiado
Apprentice

I went back to the old stable releases firmware and I disabled SIP ALG in the WAN settings page. I still had some issues when only reverting to the released firmware, but so far no issues on WiFi calling with SIP ALG disabled.
Message 18 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

so I have to disable Alg
Message 19 of 21
drcheesenipz
Guide

Yes, disable it. It messes up the wifi calling when enabled; like not having people reach you, or you can't get a call out on first attempt.

Message 20 of 21
niewiado
Apprentice

Hello all, I know it’s been a while since this topic has been broached but I just wanted to confirm that for me at least, even with SIP ALG disabled on the old publicly available 66 build, when QoS detects high priority traffic wifi calling does not work. Hopefully this gets addressed in the next beta or publicly released official build. Thanks
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7