× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Development Dead?

RMonster
Aspirant

XR1000 Development Dead?

Just bought the XR1000 due to the great revews for my gigabit internet connection but i was sorely disappointed to see that no new firmware has been published since 12/22/2020. You cannot even choose this model while creating a thread on the this forum!

I did purchase the router for the versatility of rapps and vpn clients etc but upon logging into the interface i found that most of these things are not available. Very disappointing for the price of the router itself.

Does anyone know when there will be upgrades to this flagship model? i can't really fathom why Netgear would be treating such a device so poorly. This will surely affect my purchase choices in the future.

Message 1 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 Development Dead?

We don't have an exact ETA as to when we'll be able to release new firmware for the XR1000, but we are actively working on it currently so we're hoping it won't be too long!

We believe the XR1000 will also be getting the Hybrid VPN feature you're referring to there, but that's not set in stone yet as it's also Netgear's decision to make.

Message 2 of 13
ChanceOfFlight
Aspirant

If it's not coming soon I may need to return the XR1000 for a different NetDuma router then unfortunately.

Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

We're testing some firmware at the moment but I don't yet know if it has/will pass the testing. As such, I don't have an ETA that I can provide I'm afraid.

Message 4 of 13
Derlandes
Aspirant

Can you send for me to testing this firmware? I 'm waiting for a new firmware for long long time. Please, send me a link for download that firmware and I help you to test.
Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We can't do that, it's only for the QA team at this time. You wouldn't want firmware at this early stage, it would possibly be very buggy, features not working properly etc.
Message 6 of 13
Blarn_Kranston
Apprentice

Have there been any updates?  It's been 6 more months with no mention of any new firmware, and no firmware updates, or even mentions of any updates since 2020. 

I just had the issue (again) where rebooting my router, by logging into Duma OS, caused it to be reset to factory defaults.  However, after this happened the 1st time, I was smart and backed up my config, so I can just easily plug in the USB and restore, right?  Wrong, the restore config also did not work and just resulted in 2 reboots, then right back to factory defaults.

At this point, the piece of junk router that AT&T  installed 5 years ago is more reliable.  If I could return this brick, I would.

Please tell me there is a firmware update coming soon.  With a "flagship gaming router" with such an impressive name as "XR1000 — Nighthawk WiFi 6 Pro Gaming Router" from a company with a good reputation like Netgear, I would expect better for a $350 device aimed at the home user/gamer.  Hell, at this point, I should have just spent the $800 and bought a Cisco.

Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We are working on new firmware and it won't be too long until that is available, we don't generally mention when a firmware will be available as it is always subject to change. The issue you're experiencing is likely due to loss of power, if you connect the router direct to a wall outlet it should prevent it.
Message 8 of 13
Blarn_Kranston
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response, Frasier,

The XR1000 is connected to a large battery backup, and I reset it from within DumaOS by going to System-->Administration-->Reboot.

Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I assume quite a few devices are connected to that? If it switches to battery it would go down briefly I assume and therefore kick off the issue. It may not necessarily be that it's losing power but more that it's sharing power and in some cases may not get what it needs for a moment and so plugging it direct into the outlet has resolved it for most
Message 10 of 13
Blarn_Kranston
Apprentice

No, there are not.  1 Alexa device, the AT&T router and the XR1000.  The battery should last at least 12 hours.  Either way, I reboot the device from within the device's admin console.  It did NOT loose power.

Message 11 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's more the sharing power that we've seen cause it, I can understand why you may not want to do that currently. The firmware shouldn't be too far off now
Message 12 of 13
RMonster
Aspirant

I’ve put mine into AP mode and converted an old system into a PFSense firewall to which it is plugged into.

I can now do most of the things that I expected the XR1000 to do.

Needless to say, this will be my last Netgear purchase.
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7