Highlighted

XR1000 DumaOS 3.0 VPN?

Hi All,

I am trying to setup the VPN service on the XR1000 & DumaOS 3.0. In my previous router setup XR500 & XR450 there was an easy main menu button for "HybridVPN" setup in which I was able to setup my PUREVPN service in 2 seconds. This time, it seems like they took HybridVPN out and there is a VPN Service setup in Advanced now which really doesnt give you much to do. I click the Windows button under OPENVPN and it downloads the OpenVPN setup key txt file but PUREVPN doesnt use all that. They(PUREVPN) give UN/PW and I would just enter that in the menu and done. 

Can someone assist me on what I need to do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 DumaOS 3.0 VPN?

VPN Service isn't the same as Hybrid VPN, it is basically for connecting to your home network in a secure way so you can't use PureVPN with it. Hybrid VPN isn't an available feature on the XR1000 unfortunately.
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

Why would you say it isn't an available feature? The documentation on the XF1000 from NETGEAR states it is a feature. It is running DumaOS like early routers, why would NETGEAR remove that feature, and not say anything about it in a post, but rather state in the specs and user manual it is a feature. I believe this otheruser is noticing the same missing feature in dumasos 3.0 firmware XR1000 1.0.0.44_1.0.33 is missing. 

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
NetDuma Partner

Where are you seeing that as all I see is:
"VPN SUPPORT—On PC, MAC, & now also with OpenVPN Connect
app on iOS & Android, securely access your home network & Internet
connection from your mobile device remotely" which is what the VPN service is, not HybridVPN.
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted

What I am seeing is in the netgear.com datasheet for the XF1000, on page 8 under security, along with screenshots on page 2 is hybrid vpn. 
https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/xr1000.pdf

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for directing me to the right place, it is old. During the beta Adblocker was available briefly as well but then removed. NG decide what features make it on to their routers but it may be available in future.
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted

Thanks fraser for your reply. As you can see I am really in need of that feature and appreciate the communities insight. I am hopeful the feature will be brough into the XR1000 DUMAOS, in the future and just needed more testing. I hope this helps clear up the confusion others might run accross as well. If I discover it becomes available, I will be happy to update this post. Thanks again for your quick response and feedback.

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

I completely understand where you're coming from, because as you said some really need that feature and rely on it. I am one of those people as well. I had no idea that the XR1000 would not have it, kind of a strange move to be honest. In fact when I was facing issues with my XR500 I was heavily considering other competitor products, but could not find a feature similar to Hybrid VPN (VPN by devices on your network, and not VPN for your entire network). Mind you I didn't check all the routers out there, only the ones that were kind of similar to the XR500. So imagine my surprise when finding out that this feature isn't there on the XR1000, at least not yet.

Fiber: 80 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up > Modem: HG8245Q (Huawei ONT) > Router: XR500 > Extenders: EX7000 (x2), EX7700, Linksys WAP300N
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

This router literally just came out not too long ago, it's odd that the data sheet is not updated. Tried the manual just to see if I could find it in there as well, but seems like that link is broken. Either way Netgear is dropping the ball here. Check out the last page of the data sheet, page 8 of 8, under the Security section. So it's not just outdated screenshots. I hope for everyone's sake that feature makes it back soon.

Fiber: 80 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up > Modem: HG8245Q (Huawei ONT) > Router: XR500 > Extenders: EX7000 (x2), EX7700, Linksys WAP300N
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements