× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 DumaOS 3.0 VPN?

AllanAyala
Tutor

XR1000 DumaOS 3.0 VPN?

Hi All,

I am trying to setup the VPN service on the XR1000 & DumaOS 3.0. In my previous router setup XR500 & XR450 there was an easy main menu button for "HybridVPN" setup in which I was able to setup my PUREVPN service in 2 seconds. This time, it seems like they took HybridVPN out and there is a VPN Service setup in Advanced now which really doesnt give you much to do. I click the Windows button under OPENVPN and it downloads the OpenVPN setup key txt file but PUREVPN doesnt use all that. They(PUREVPN) give UN/PW and I would just enter that in the menu and done. 

Can someone assist me on what I need to do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 DumaOS 3.0 VPN?

VPN Service isn't the same as Hybrid VPN, it is basically for connecting to your home network in a secure way so you can't use PureVPN with it. Hybrid VPN isn't an available feature on the XR1000 unfortunately.
Message 2 of 31
XF1000user
Tutor

Why would you say it isn't an available feature? The documentation on the XF1000 from NETGEAR states it is a feature. It is running DumaOS like early routers, why would NETGEAR remove that feature, and not say anything about it in a post, but rather state in the specs and user manual it is a feature. I believe this otheruser is noticing the same missing feature in dumasos 3.0 firmware XR1000 1.0.0.44_1.0.33 is missing. 

Message 3 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you seeing that as all I see is:
"VPN SUPPORT—On PC, MAC, & now also with OpenVPN Connect
app on iOS & Android, securely access your home network & Internet
connection from your mobile device remotely" which is what the VPN service is, not HybridVPN.
Message 4 of 31
XF1000user
Tutor

What I am seeing is in the netgear.com datasheet for the XF1000, on page 8 under security, along with screenshots on page 2 is hybrid vpn. 
https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/xr1000.pdf

Message 5 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for directing me to the right place, it is old. During the beta Adblocker was available briefly as well but then removed. NG decide what features make it on to their routers but it may be available in future.
Message 6 of 31
XF1000user
Tutor

Thanks fraser for your reply. As you can see I am really in need of that feature and appreciate the communities insight. I am hopeful the feature will be brough into the XR1000 DUMAOS, in the future and just needed more testing. I hope this helps clear up the confusion others might run accross as well. If I discover it becomes available, I will be happy to update this post. Thanks again for your quick response and feedback.

Message 7 of 31
beemir
Star

I completely understand where you're coming from, because as you said some really need that feature and rely on it. I am one of those people as well. I had no idea that the XR1000 would not have it, kind of a strange move to be honest. In fact when I was facing issues with my XR500 I was heavily considering other competitor products, but could not find a feature similar to Hybrid VPN (VPN by devices on your network, and not VPN for your entire network). Mind you I didn't check all the routers out there, only the ones that were kind of similar to the XR500. So imagine my surprise when finding out that this feature isn't there on the XR1000, at least not yet.

Message 8 of 31
beemir
Star

This router literally just came out not too long ago, it's odd that the data sheet is not updated. Tried the manual just to see if I could find it in there as well, but seems like that link is broken. Either way Netgear is dropping the ball here. Check out the last page of the data sheet, page 8 of 8, under the Security section. So it's not just outdated screenshots. I hope for everyone's sake that feature makes it back soon.

Message 9 of 31
nikendile
Initiate

I just bought this router yesterday only to find out today there is no more hybrid VPN!!! I know it was on the previous model but now is removed.

This was the only reason way I would consider to switch back to DumaOS! I will definitely return this router.

Thanks to this post saved me a lot of search, I wish I could see this comment before I bought the router but ho would think that they would remove such great feature.

Message 10 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that @nikendile but glad to know you really want that feature. It will likely be included in the future but I couldn't say when exactly.
Message 11 of 31
CaptSlow
Initiate

Same here. Originally replaced an Asus router because of the features offered with Duma OS, especially the Hybrid VPN. Really disappointed Netgear removed the feature on a new premium product where the older WiFi 5 version still has Hybrid VPN. Makes no sense. I’ll probably return it as the Asus router was much easier enabling VPN’s.
Message 12 of 31
valentino89
Aspirant

Hi I am still trying to figure out how to use a VPN service on the XR1000. Any suggestions? All the recommendations online didn't help nor get me anywhere? 

Message 13 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@valentino89 You cannot use a third party VPN provider like PureVPN for example with the XR1000 unfortunately as HybridVPN has not been implemented
Message 14 of 31
valentino89
Aspirant

Hi Fraser, what VPN can i actually use with the XR1000??

Message 15 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@valentino89 you can't use a VPN with the XR1000. You can use a VPN by downloading the specific VPN windows software but it cannot be implemented in the router to apply to your network devices.
Message 16 of 31

Yeah unfortunately, Netgear has decided to remove it from their newer routers. They're also aware of missing features like this:

https://twitter.com/NETGEARgaming/status/1380263503395651584?s=20 https://twitter.com/NETGEARgaming/status/1383189885868077058?s=20 

I think the reason they've done this is because of the whole bitdefender security partnership on the XR1000. It could be added later on with the release of the R-App store, but we don't know for sure yet. Your best solution if you want a VPN is to go for the XR450, XR500, XR700, or even better, the Netduma R2. Otherwise, you should bring this up with Netgear as they decide what features are on their routers

Message 17 of 31
Onyxtower
Aspirant

Well that's kind of disappointing to hear that it doesn't support hybrid VPN. Sooo... a downgrade is better i guess? don't really want to go ASUS.

Message 18 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There is always the possibility that it will be included in the future, we just can't guarantee it at this time
Message 19 of 31
iiiGoTNoAiM
Aspirant

Will there be a hybrid vpn???. Added for those who prefer it
Message 20 of 31
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It's possible this feature may be implemented in the future, but we don't have any kind of an ETA for it I'm afraid.

Message 21 of 31
ChanceOfFlight
Aspirant

The ubiquity Dream Machine has all the features you're thinking of.

Message 22 of 31
iielmesswavy
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser @Netduma-Liam 

Clearly, this feature is a low blow to the netgear community that has xr1000, since its brothers and sisters have it with no doubt. So I know you have the influence to make the push to bring it back. Cause it should come with it, its part of the experience, and it shouldn't be that difficult since its already implemented on other routers that are nonetheless the same. So bring it back, don't wait 6 months to bring back for something so simple.  

Message 23 of 31
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@iielmesswavy yes we can put it on easily, however, it is not our hardware and we don't sell the router ourselves so it's not our decision as to what features make it onto the router. NG know its a wanted feature so I'm so it will get the go ahead to be implemented in the future.
Message 24 of 31
iielmesswavy
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

when was the last firmware version that it did have it? cause i saw that at some point it was available.

Message 25 of 31
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7