× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR450 on DumaOS 3.0 - No Wireless Repeater Options?

thebrokebassist
Aspirant

XR450 on DumaOS 3.0 - No Wireless Repeater Options?

So I've seen support for other routers in the lineup when it comes to having an option to turn the router into a wireless repeater or extender. But that option, to my knowledge, is unavailable on the XR450. I'd hoped once we saw the DumaOS update, the option might be tucked into the firmware update. But no luck?

I realize there's a possibility I could hardwire from my main router to this XR450 and probably set it up to work in the intended fashion. But in my situation with the location of the main router being central to everything on my first floor, running an ethernet up to the second floor in a plaster, wood lathe & brick constructed house --- It's not the easiest thing in the world. So I've been holding onto hope I'd see some support for the wireless repeater functionality other models have seen. Is there any other option I haven't yet considered? Am I missing something? Or should I just give up hope and cave for a cheap, weak wifi extender?

Thanks all.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: XR450 on DumaOS 3.0 - No Wireless Repeater Options?

I haven't seen any hints at that. Maybe the dumaOS guys have heard things. 

One thing you can try is using either powerline or MoCa adapters to connect the XR450 as an access point. 

If you had coax ran throughout the home, MoCa (ethernet over coax) provides pretty solid throughput and would let you use the XR450 as a pretty darned good access point

Message 2 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As far as I am aware there is no talk of this feature though it would be on Netgear to implement so I can't say for certain
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

XR series has never had the wireless Repeater function, just only AP mode. EX7700 extenders work well with the XR450/500 though.

@thebrokebassist wrote:

So I've seen support for other routers in the lineup when it comes to having an option to turn the router into a wireless repeater or extender. But that option, to my knowledge, is unavailable on the XR450. I'd hoped once we saw the DumaOS update, the option might be tucked into the firmware update. But no luck?

I realize there's a possibility I could hardwire from my main router to this XR450 and probably set it up to work in the intended fashion. But in my situation with the location of the main router being central to everything on my first floor, running an ethernet up to the second floor in a plaster, wood lathe & brick constructed house --- It's not the easiest thing in the world. So I've been holding onto hope I'd see some support for the wireless repeater functionality other models have seen. Is there any other option I haven't yet considered? Am I missing something? Or should I just give up hope and cave for a cheap, weak wifi extender?

Thanks all.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7