× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 QoS Problem

m0ngr3ll
Tutor

XR500 QoS Problem

Hey all,

Playing some Warzone and Rocket League last night, I had terrible lag, packet loss, everything just constantly. Pulled up the XR500 network monitor page on a second monitor and noticed devices (two Samsung phones, an iPad and even a Kindle) with abnormally high bandwith usage, around 6 Mb/s. QoS enabled, I haven't changed any settings in the QoS as I found the default worked fine and to be honest, don't notice a difference when I have changed it in the past.

One Samsung phone was just Facebook scrolling, the other wasn't even being used, the iPad was using Netflix which explains the bandwith but has never caused an issue before because of (I'm assuming) QoS doing its job, the Kindle is literally just reading a book so I don't know what was happening there.

Any advice?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 QoS Problem

You can use the Sky hub, you would just need to use the DMZ feature to eliminate a double NAT. If you set Congestion Control/Anti-Bufferbloat to Always and 50% and do a speedtest.net test do you get your full speeds or roughly 50% of them? Any Cat5e or above cable should do the trick, doesn't need to be too expensive.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

By the default, do you mean QoS essentially wasn't enabled at all? What are the exact settings you're using? If so you would need that to be enabled to counteract that. Devices that normally don't use much bandwidth can do background updates which cause high bandwidth for a short period of time but enough to cause lag.
Message 2 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

QoS enabled, Goodput enabled, Duma Classified Games with, "When high priority traffic detected" but switching that to always on made no change.

Yeah I don't think it was background updates though as it would have to be massive for those devices to be hogging 6 Mbps which is way above what they would normally need. Even then, shouldn't QoS be like, "You don't need all that, but the PC that's gaming does" or do I have the function of QoS wrong?

Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Was Congestion Control on 100%? If so that won't have been eliminating lag for you. We usually suggest starting at 70% for download/upload using Always or Auto-Enable and experimenting from there.
Message 4 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

Nope it was a 70 for download and 50 for upload. I think I’m going to remove and re-add all devices one by one tomorrow so I can monitor their network usage, can’t figure out how this has come about so out of the blue.

I did notice tonight when the problem was happening again, Warzone wasn’t triggering the “High priority traffic detected” indicator on the QoS page. Looked at forwarding the ports but honestly I got confused, could you give me a quick how-to? TCP ports are: 3074, 27014-27050 and UDP ports are: 3074, 3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27031, 27036. How would I enter those and into what fields? I have an open NAT but can’t hurt to see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Forwarding ports won't help with lag like this, also won't do anything if you already have an open NAT. Here is a guide on that anyway: https://kb.netgear.com/24290/How-do-I-add-a-custom-port-forwarding-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router

If it wasn't on Always then it won't have been applying so make sure it's set to that. Okay let us know how you get on.
Message 6 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

Hey @Netduma-Fraser hope you're all good,

So I managed to track the unnamed devices down by their MAC, for some reason devices that I had already set up on the network and renamed in the Device Manager had renamed themselves. Weird. Maybe an update on the devices caused it or something.

I've experimented with different slider settings and tested the "Always On" and "When High Prioirty Traffic Detected" when gaming but the QoS still seems to be letting my bandwith just go where it wants. The only solution to this I've found has been to disable "Share Excess" option and hike up the bandwith allocation for my PC. Not the most ideal when others in the house are streaming but seems like the only option right now.

The Ethernet light on my XR500 has been flashing Orange the past few days, even before making these changes. I'm still getting a connection to my PC on the Ethernet so I'm not sure what's happening there?

Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your exact physical setup including the model of your ISP modem/router? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? That could indicate the port is limited to 100Mbps, you can confirm this by looking at the table view on the Device Manager. If that is the case then it may be the ethernet cable so replace it and see whether it performs as expected.
Message 8 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

So my ISP provider is Sky, the Sky Q Hub they provide isn't compatible with the XR500 without it causing a double NAT (Which apparently is not a good thing for gaming) so I have a Draytek Vigor 130 as the Modem. So from the Master Socket, DSL cable into the Draytek Vigor 130, Ethernet Cable from the Draytek Vigor 130 (in bridge mode) into the XR500.

Yep, all devices connected. Double-checked that when figuring out what the unnamed devices were.

Just checked and yeah for some reason it's limited to 100Mbps, will get a new Ethernet ordered within the next few days to see if that fixes it, any recommendations?

Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can use the Sky hub, you would just need to use the DMZ feature to eliminate a double NAT. If you set Congestion Control/Anti-Bufferbloat to Always and 50% and do a speedtest.net test do you get your full speeds or roughly 50% of them? Any Cat5e or above cable should do the trick, doesn't need to be too expensive.
Message 10 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

I'll look into that! I can't give an accurate reading of the speeds yet as I'm in contact with Draytek regarding issues with the speeds of the Vigor 130, not been the easiest to resolve though, support isn't really interested. Ah bonus, thanks Fraser, I'll get to work on the Sky hub!

Message 11 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

Hey Fraser, just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Am I using the DMZ feature on the Netgear XR500 or on the Sky Q Router?

Also in response to your earlier question about setting the QoS to Always and 50%, yeah if I apply both of those I get about half the speeds I should.

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're using it on the Sky router - so you need to copy the WAN IP from the XR System Information page and then enter that in the DMZ feature on the Sky router. Okay good, that is performing as expected.
Message 13 of 15
m0ngr3ll
Tutor

Ah okay as I thought. With everything set up, speeds are as they should be, NAT type is open, internet did drop for about a minute on the Sky Hub but may just be a coincidence so something to keep an eye on. Thanks for all the help 🙂
Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that! Do keep us updated, you're very welcome!
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7