× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 on 3.0 Beta with Virgin Media

Solarnotts
Aspirant

XR500 on 3.0 Beta with Virgin Media

Hi there,

I have been abit of a lurker on here for a few months. I have been on the 3.0 Beta firmware for a while and seems to be working as it should. But I am with Virgin media and atm the latency issues etc are really getting to me, So having read through a few topics on these forums in regards to virgin media and the XR500 I see it maybe better running it in DMZ mode? via the virgin hub? I think it was the admin Fraser who suggested this?

I think I have this setup right now but no sure if its configured correctly, Am I corrent in saying I connect an Ethernet cable to the XR500 via the Internet socket? and the end of that to the Super hub 3 via ethernet? Also I have entered the IP address from my System information in the DMZ section of the Super hub 3 too is this correct? Do I set the XR500 router as a router also? Or a wireless AP? The Super hub 3 is running in router mode as well.

Sorry if I make no sense at all..

Thank you.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hey there, yes that would have been me that suggested that. I have VM as well. Yes so one of the ports from the VM connected to the yellow port on the XR. You've done the DMZ correctly as well, leave the XR in router mode. Optionally for an optimal setup you would also disable WiFi on the VM hub. In regards to latency I've been having problems with VM recently where it just does not work for awhile.
Message 2 of 8
Solarnotts
Aspirant

Yeah, Virgin media the last month for me has been terrible.

I've had an engineer out and explained whats wrong but he had no idea what I was talking about. Like my power levels etc, I even chanced asking on the VM forums.

They had me set up a broadband quality checker which I did and shows the connection is terrible as shown below.

NovemberVirginedited.png

Thanks for the reply though looks like its setup ok. Going to give it a week see if its any differant set up like this.

Cheers.

Message 3 of 8
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

Just get rid of Virgin Media Smiley LOL

Worst ISP I have ever had, no matter what you do with any router it won't make a difference to the latency, jitter, disconnects or packet loss you get on Virgin Media.

The download speeds are not worth the pain you get with their service well unless you can't get anything via VDSL.

Mine gets disconnected on the 18th, can't wait.

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the picture currently but it could settle down, mine does usually.
Message 5 of 8
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

My area has been rubbish since day one of getting it (since March 2019), I had 8 days in a row of 'an issue in the area' last month.

Sods law they have upgraded the area by the looks of it and I could get the 500mbps package just as I cancelled my service but like I said in my last post, the download speeds aren't worth it for me anyway.

Could be the issues I was having was due to them doing upgrade works in the area but they didn't notify me, would make sense to do the works during the night too not when everyone is working from home at the moment (although I work evenings too making config changes).

I have had more outages in just over a year with Virgin Media than I have had with ADSL & VDSL in 8 years of having my own place lol

Kind of puts it into perspective when you compare the different technologies, I would of thought Virgin Media would be more reliable being that its cable under ground versus telephone poles but it hasn't been for me, tonnes of people complain of issues in my area on the local facebook pages too so not like I am complaining for the sake of it lol.

I'll stop ranting about them now although I could go on for days Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 8
Solarnotts
Aspirant

So a random q...

Is running the router this way unsecure?

Read in places running a dmz like this is risky?

Cheers
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

In this scenario it's still perfectly secure, the XR500 has a built in firewall to stop anything malicious.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7