× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 v.114 video streaming issues

SA1
Tutor
Tutor

XR500 v.114 video streaming issues

Hello

I recently upgraded to v.114 and am experiencing intermittent lagging on high definition videostreaming ( a single stream to either a laptop, Chromecast or Kodi)

I am not sure if it is the version or my current settings.

If I disconnect the XR500 and use my modem/router I have no video streaming problems, and multiple streams will work,

I have bufferbloat set to 70%, and 40% of download and upload bandwidth allocated to an XboxOne.   (Internet download speed is 46MBps)

(Prior to upgrading (v.108) I perceived that the XR500 was not protecting the Xbox gaming experience as well as it used to when first used  Opening a single web page on another computer would cause considerable lag on FIFA

.  I increased the bandwidth allocation from 15% to 40% to try to address this, and also increased bufferbloat to 60% for a while.)

I understand that if the Xbox is turned on then the 40% of bandwidth allocated to the Xbox is available for other network devices such as my streaming devices.

The bufferbloat is set to autodetect, and the priority traffic red light is definitely off when the Xbox is off.

The streaming problems occur when the Xbox is off and the priority traffic red light is off.

Thank you for advice.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 v.114 video streaming issues

I'd first suggest you upgrade to the latest version .120 and do a factory reset after for a fresh installation. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2...

Lets put a pin in Traffic Prio for now. Can you adjust Congestion Control to use Always instead. Does that improve it? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? Presumably, it's connected over WiFi? Are you using Smart Connect?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

I just noticed a typo in my earlier question which could be confusing. This is corrected below.

Hello

I recently upgraded to v.114 and am experiencing intermittent lagging on high definition videostreaming ( a single stream to either a laptop, Chromecast or Kodi)

I am not sure if it is the version or my current settings.

If I disconnect the XR500 and use my modem/router I have no video streaming problems, and multiple streams will work,

I have bufferbloat set to 70%, and 40% of download and upload bandwidth allocated to an XboxOne.   (Internet download speed is 46MBps)

(Prior to upgrading (v.108) I perceived that the XR500 was not protecting the Xbox gaming experience as well as it used to when first used  Opening a single web page on another computer would cause considerable lag on FIFA

.  I increased the bandwidth allocation from 15% to 40% to try to address this, and also increased bufferbloat to 60% for a while.)

I understand that if the Xbox is turned off then the 40% of bandwidth allocated to the Xbox is available for other network devices such as my streaming devices.

The bufferbloat is set to autodetect, and the priority traffic red light is definitely off when the Xbox is off.

The streaming problems occur when the Xbox is off and the priority traffic red light is off.

Thank you for advice.

@Netduma-Fraser 

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the detailed description!

What speeds do you get from your ISP?

Do you have 'Share excess' enabled in the three-line menu in Bandwidth Allocation? If not, please enable it.

Could you try adding a new rule to Traffic Prioritisation for the particular streaming service you're using? This should then be detected when you're watching something and that traffic should be prioritised.

Message 3 of 10
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Share excess is ticked. Speeds 46MBps down and 18MBps up. I could look at streaming priority -the services are Kayo Sports and Optus Sports here in Australia. I will need to check if they are listed.
Message 4 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thank you.

It sounds like you'd benefit from adding this rule to Traffic Prio so please do and let us know how it works for you.

Message 5 of 10
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

Liam

How do i set the priority for streaming?

In Traffic Prioritisation I  hit add device, select my device,  but then I only have options in .114 for either a number of different games, games console or Skype.

My memory maybe poor, but I thought there may have been more options of streaming services to select for traffic prioritisation  when I had looked at this menu in the past.

Thank you

@Netduma-Liam 

Message 6 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd first suggest you upgrade to the latest version .120 and do a factory reset after for a fresh installation. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2...

Lets put a pin in Traffic Prio for now. Can you adjust Congestion Control to use Always instead. Does that improve it? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? Presumably, it's connected over WiFi? Are you using Smart Connect?
Message 7 of 10
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Fraser - changes made.

I'll let you know how it works.

All devices are connected by WiFi to the XR500, except for a Cisco ATA.

(I am not using Smart Connect.  On an earlier version of firmware (?.54) I found that Smart Connect would connect the XBox on 2.4G,, where as the 5G connection was fine.  I opted to turn off smart connect so as to force the Xbox onto 5G which appears to have worked.)

Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great keep us posted! Are you not able to connect the Xbox via ethernet?
Message 9 of 10
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Fraser.

So far so good with the changes suggested.   I'll be back in contact if the problem recurs.

Extra cabling would be needed  to connect the Xbox One to ethernet and the XR-500 5G Wifi with all its features seems to work well for this device.

@Netduma-Fraser 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7