× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this, if you ever decide to hook up your XR again let us know, we're always here to help.

Message 326 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

I've actually owned and returned the archer ax11000. I even got the Motorola cable modem that has the 2.5gb port for it with my gigabit internet package. I immediately flashed the new fw and did a hard reset from the back. Router wouldn't give my full internet speed, maybe more than half. Wifi would cut out intermittently (although having 2 5ghz bands was nice instead of the ad60ghz). The range on them were no different to the xr700 imo in a 2600sf house. With the security suite enabled, kids couldn't connect to some mobile and console games. Anyway, poop of a router in my own experience and then when you contact support you have to jump through hoops for about a week just to be told to switch your dns server settings over to Google's DNS server IP's. Yeah, I know the beta may be taking a while but at least I get responses on my level and if I have an issue on the hw side I know I can always talk to someone and get passed to tier 2. And of course the NetDuma guys are always fast to respond so. If I ever did switch, I'd probably go with Asus but I'm still good for now.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 327 of 586
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

For me, it's 2x as fast as the xr700 over WiFi. They also just released a new firmware on 6/15 that made many improvements and added mesh support as well (I don't use it.) My house is quite large and it makes a big difference at the edges and outside areas. It compares quite well to the Asus (which scored a bit better in this review) but for 70% of the cost... here's a head to head of the two which was done before the latest TP-Link firmware update... https://dongknows.com/tp-link-ax11000-vs-asus-gt-ax11000/

Another review... https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/tp-link-archer-ax11000-next-gen-tri-band-gaming-router

Message 328 of 586
MGS78
Aspirant

road to 2022 for the v2 of the beta...

It's time to buy another router from another compagny.

Message 329 of 586
JNewms
Guide

Mind if I ask what tire of internet speeds you have? I have fiber and am starting the search for a router that will actually be able to get the speeds I pay for.

To head off the response I know is coming from others, I know that I won’t get full speed over with, but even hard wired the XR-700 isn’t able to push the speeds.
Message 330 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@JNewms any will do that, the 700 should have been able to get you your speeds - even if you end up putting it in AP mode. If you make a new topic we can help
Message 331 of 586
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

@JNewms I assume you were asking me. 

I have 1 GB comcast, technically they give you 1.2 GB now, but my modem only supports 1 GB.

I get about 940 mbps on a wired connection. That's with both the routers internal virus protection and my PCs virus protection on.

I get 800 mbps from our iphone 12's in the same room. 500 mbps at the other end of the house. Again with routers virus protection on.

These are all 5 ghz numbers. The 2.4 ghz admittedly is just ok in terms of speed, but that 5 ghz coverage and speed is incredible. 

This is with the TP-Link Archer ax11000.

Message 332 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

it's been months since this router had an update but when is it goin to get one if not soon im move from the xr700 myself.

Message 333 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

We are working on it, we're also making a lot of improvements internally to help improve the rate at which we can release more great firmware. Thanks so much for your patience regardless.

Message 334 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

So im findly putting the xr700 up in 2 days bought the xr1000 im wait till the xr700 is out of beta in then try again it. But for now its goin back in the box.
Message 335 of 586
Danny80916
Luminary

Message 336 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

ok soooo.. i try goin to my routers menu etc like goin to log into it in it won't load at all like whenever im putting the ip of the router etc to log into it it says this site can't be reached but i still have internet why? thats why im moving to the xr1000 im done with this beta i even lose internet with the xr700 for no reason yes i tried my xr500 etc works fine but the xr700 has so many probloms but who knows when there will be other beta build. tommrrow my xr1000 comes in thank god. bye bye xr700.

Message 337 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might be acting like a switch for some reason, on windows open command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter - the gateway should show 192.168.1.1 if it's working correctly - what shows?
Message 338 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

it's still doing it with the beta in im doing it correctly ip is 192.168.1.1 to login router i lose internet all the time ever since i went to the beta of the xr700 but when i go back to the stock it works fine noting wrong i just hope everything gets worked out with the next beta build of the xr700 i wanna keep using it but i can't with it doing that so i went out in bought the xr1000 hopefully it dosn't do the same. it even drops wifi with the 5G band in the 2.4 band hopfully thats fixed to. 

Message 339 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for confirming, I hope you enjoy the XR1000 and of course let us know if you have any questions with it. In the meantime we'll still be working on and supporting the XR700 so when we release a fix for this issue hopefully you'll still be able to find use for it!

Message 340 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

i know this isn't the thread for the xr1000 but loving it so far. love the wifi 6 can't wait for the xr700 to get other beta build will use it an access point for now for my other wifi devices likes cell phones etc so yeah i can still use it.

Message 341 of 586
Danny80916
Luminary

I have used the xr700 as a Wi-Fi point recently I am on the beta and the beta losses connection to the internet a lot. I have to manually force a reboot every two days or so for it. I have switched it back to router mode and haven’t had to reboot it once. I have been using a xr500 for a ap for along time with no issues probably about two years now.
Message 342 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

If you're using the XR700 as an AP then there isn't really any software running on it, it's just working for the router it's connected to. What's the make and model of the upstream router?

Message 343 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

my bad for taking to long ro reply but i just let my brother use it at his place. hopefully there's a new beta build for it soon tho. still love the xr700 tho the xr700 is a monster of a router. will always be. love it love that it had 7 internet ports etc love the fact it had all that it's sitll a beast today. whenever i was using it. loved it. hopefully there's other beast down the road again would love to own other monster:p

Message 344 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

still love the xr700 tho the xr700 is a monster of a router. will always be. love it love that it had 7 internet ports etc love the fact it had all that it's sitll a beast today. whenever i was using it. loved it. hopefully there's other beast down the road again would love to own other monsterSmiley Tongue

Message 345 of 586
SuicideSquad420
Apprentice

ok so whenever i had the xr700 i was getting. my hole gigabit internet speed but after testing the xr1000 etc since i had it im not even gettin the hole gigabit speed with it but with the xr700 i get it alll but the xr1000 im only getting 200 mbps of my gigabit internet with the xr1000 weird.

Message 346 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make a new topic and we can troubleshoot that with you
Message 347 of 586
BusBat
Star

This thread is dying….

Please give info about next beta or official release.

I think many (as have I) have gone back to the official release - even if we like what the 3.0 GUI brings.

I am really looking forward to get some facts in this forum.

Thank you.
Message 348 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We cannot give any etas, we are working on it and will release as soon as we can
Message 349 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

I have to say, this port over is taking a bit longer than even I expected. I could imagine a stable firmware taking a few months to port over to a sibling model in the same lineup but we're about 3mo away from a year. I understand you don't have the same resources as say Microsoft, but I can't imagine it would take this long. As I see it, you have a 3.0 public release for every other XR series router. Why is this process taking so long for the 700 series? Are the devs running into technical issues with the port over? Are you not dedicating enough devs to the 700 series port over? As a fellow coder I really can't see a reasonable reason for the prolonged delay. I could probably have ported the 3.0 fw myself in this amount of time... Not saying I'm a genius but if I had a year (almost) and only having to work on the OS part (no OEM involvement) I don't see why even 1 good coder would take 4 months working solely on the port couldn't get it done. We need some meat and potatoes in this picture and I think we all deserve some kind of answers. Please don't take this post as hostile as it's not meant in that tone. I'm just curious as to the situation and I think most of us are interested in and deserving of some answers. A helpful tip to keep fellow tech's happy would be to maybe post periodically some developments or what part(s) you're tackling and even maybe things you're getting stuck on. I know your platform isn't open source for others to help on but throwing us a bone here and there so we can see the internals still moving and working would be nice.
Message 350 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7