× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

3.0 is only on a stable/public release for the XR1000 with betas for 450, 500 & 700 and no beta on XR300. Apart from the 500 & 450 where the firmware does come out at roughly the same time as the architecture is practically the same, the rest are different router architectures so it's not as simple. I'm not a dev and I don't have an input on their work flow so I can't really give an adequate answer for why it's taking as long as it is.
Message 351 of 586
BusBat
Star

Thank you for your post!
It was right on the money.
And extremely nice considering…
I have had quite a few dev teams myself and are equally curious what the delay is all about.

So, thanks!
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 352 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

I understand Frasier doesn't talk directly to the devs but maybe that should change considering he's the spokesperson for the firmware beta here (Along with maybe a couple more).  I don't think it's too much to ask for a progress report (which us devs in the private sector have to do almost daily). They can give you lets say a weekly report (or public status statement) on what's being worked on, what's been finished and what issues they're running into. This would clear up a bit of confusion on the consumer side instead of just getting the same old "I don't talk to the devs so I don't know what's going on" or "I don't talk to the devs so I don't have an ETA on the next beta release".  It would be nice if we were all on the same page and might even help the devs just like how Microsoft did with the Windows 10 beta's and insider status reports.

Message 353 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

The reason for the delay is down to a few bugs that both ourselves and Netgear need to work out of the firmware before we can call it a full release. The other factor is simply that we're incredibly busy at the moment, with beta firmwares for the full NPG range as well as our own routers, not to mention other projects also going on that also require a lot of work. 

I can certainly understand why it's frustrating to be told that we don't have an ETA, but unfortunately it's the most we can say. In some cases there are internal target dates of when we want to have new firmwares available, but we can't share those due to them being subject to change and we don't want to promise a release date that isn't accurate.

Nonetheless, we do massively appreciate your patience and understanding.

Message 354 of 586

Sorry guys but it takes 9 months to create a human being from barely nothing, we are talk about firmware! There are no sufficient excuses for this situation: 1 buggy beta for XR700, the top level router, since beta was pubblically announced (so not exactly since the beginning of its development). I have no words at all, I'm very disappointed.

Message 355 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Liam! I don't think a lot of us are really expecting ETA's as much as just some spokesperson giving us Intel/status on what's going on on the inside. So from what you're saying you're not really working on another beta as much as you are the final release? That's actually good news if true! Yes some of us are impatient but I think we'd be less so if we were just given updates on what the devs are doing, issues they're running into, thing's they've completed, etc.
Message 356 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well we're working on new firmware and the issues we're aware of, this would go to beta first then depending on the feedback it could be a candidate for final release. We still need that input, with just 1 beta version on the 700 so far we'd need more feedback before it'd be ready for full release.
Message 357 of 586

What kind of feedback do you need?

I have xr700 that I have been using without any issues on the original firmware. If the beta is usable I can install it and provide some feedback but if it is not stable, I’d rather not.

Anyway, while I appreciate the router I think this will be my last netgear/dumaos combo - Asus has much better firmware support. It is really disappointing that too of the line Duma router has basically zero support. I have a feeling that the 3.0 upgrade won’t even come to this router???
Message 358 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Mainly if users are running into any issues or degraded performance, but all feedback is welcome and useful.

I'm sorry to hear of your feeling towards the product, we're working on a system of greatly improving the rate at which we can provide new firmwares so this will certainly improve in future. DumaOS 3.0 will certainly be coming to this range.

Message 359 of 586

Will there be another beta for xr700 soon, with known bugs removed?
Message 360 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

We're not sure, possibly yes. Though if we're confident any/all bugs are removed we could also go ahead with a full release for it.

Message 361 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

This post made me laugh a bit. C'mon now Liam, you've been in the router biz for how long? When have you ever known a Netgear router to have any/all bugs removed from it's firmware! LOL I know you guys are partners on this series so you can't really comment (at least honestly) on that but you know. I think as long as she boots up, has all the features, and runs for at least a day without hanging (or catching on fire) then it should be good enough for the Netgear badge on the unit! I know you guys are probably spreading your time out pretty thin between your own branded lineup AND the Netgear models with the 3.0 rollout. Just remember, we all know beta is beta and it's not promised to be stable. Might be a good idea to save face and just offer multiple betas rather than so much time in-between. I remember the days of the "nightly builds". Just know it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect until the final release. And even then they're will probably be some bugs in there somewhere.
Message 362 of 586

Well, I gave up and decided to get Asus Ax89x on sale. More less the same generation router as XR700, but with AX and much more feature rich AsusWrt firmware.

My pings and game experience is at least as good as on XR700 (if not better) and better wifi.

So long, Netgear!

So long, DumaOS!

Message 363 of 586
Action_B
Guide

My router was on beta and working great until a week ago it got brain damage. What is the easiest way to reset it to how it was without having to downgrade it and install beta all over again? It is getting UPNP issues like crazy. 

Message 364 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean by UPnP issues? You can do a factory reset from the interface - Settings > Administration > Back up settings > Erase or hold the reset button in the back of the router for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then access and complete the setup wizard.
Message 365 of 586
BusBat
Star

Hey Liam and DUMA guys and devs,

I've read the recent posts and am thankful for more than "we are working on it".

But fellas, you can't expect feed back from en early beta from december last year? 
You are kidding right?

If you truly want input, release the 3.0 GUI on latest release. 
And tell how you want input. 
Here or elsewhere. 

I was a alpha or beta tester for Microsoft OS for almost 20 years and structure is important as well as how you want logs. I mean kid stuff for beta...

Anyway, the only beta 3.0 that I am aware of, is the one that's almost a year old by now...

You want feed-back? I had to go to the crappy original, but I remember why:

It didn't keep settings. 
It needed to be hard rebooted now and then because it lost connection with WAN

The "help" came back no matter what you did

I loved the new GUI and fencing.

In fact, if I change router I will not go for Asus or others.

I will try to get one of yours... And that only because I think you guys are on to something really user friendly and easily understood features. (We are a long way from Cisco in the beginning of the 90s where you hade to exchange hardware. I remember how important it was to not bend the pins to much - if you had to fall back, you needed the old one again AND  the input was only via a prompt) 

So please:

A new beta

How you want feedback

If not dates, tell what month or quarter you're aiming for. 

And fellas, why not give us DUMA fans a way to try out your hardware? Netgear shouldn't be upset since I've got a good many people to get the XR500 but I'm happy that I am the only one with XR700. And the main thing that sold the product wasn't the "best" WiFi or whatever - it was your GUI friendly DumaOS. Just pointing out what the unique selling point was and is! Ok?

Thank you for reading!

Message 366 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for your feedback, we realise how frustrating it is.

We have plenty of feedback, but of course if you run into anything new please do report it here as usual.

The main thing now is that both ourselves and Netgear are working on resolving these issues as well as implementing new bug fixes and feature improvements.

Of course this isn't what's taking all this time, we've also been working on some new internal systems that allow us to automate a lot of the building and testing process of new firmwares. They're massive projects, but they're now functional and nearly complete, meaning it shouldn't be much longer before the firmware's start rolling out again.

That being said, I don't have an ETA, be it internal or one I can give to beta testers. The best I can say is that it won't be long now, we really appreciate your patience during this process of development!

Message 367 of 586
Action_B
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser 

I'm getting a ton of errors on My wife and my XBOX series X when playing destiny 2. Were getting  Bungie errors "Cabbage" and "Currant" very often. I tried hard resetting the router but it is the same following. I already replaced the modem with no change. I'm going to do another fresh install of the Beta as it worked for 6 months after last fresh install without a hitch. Can you remind me the instructions? I can't remember where I was pointed to do the install from command prompt or something. Thx.

BTW my birthday is this weekend and I have a 4 day weekend. I intend on gaming a lot and I don't want to worry if I'll be able to or not. I went ahead and purchased an XR1000. I have mixed feelings considering the problems I've had with my XR700 but overall I beleive that this is the first router to really cater to my wants/desires so I have an affinity towards the brand and the products. 

Message 368 of 586

From my perspective no matter how good the product - support and software upgrade department are as much or more important.

In terms of Netduma, it seems lower end and new products have much better upgrade support than top of the line xr700.

On a side note, I see no performance difference between asuswrt and duma when it comes to pings and lag for example on battlefield games etc.
Message 369 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I'd first suggest just re-syncing the cloud from the three-line menu in Geo-filter, then see if you're still getting the same errors.

If you are, you can re-install the firmware by following this guide, you shouldn't need to use the TFTP method again:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Have a great birthday by the way!

Message 370 of 586
Danny80916
Luminary

I can tell you this.  I have owned two diffrent netduma routers and a ton of netgear routers. I will probably never buy another netduma or netgear router again. I feel like netgear and netduma need to work on making there current customers happy and fix there curent routers and equipment before trying to  sell a new better one when the first one still doesnt work right. 

Message 371 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Software will always have bugs and improvements need to be made, we haven't forgotten about any platform. As Liam previously mentioned we're working on background systems to help us speed up development as well
Message 372 of 586

A bit late in the game but I guess better now than never…
Message 373 of 586
TOOMUCHSAUCE
Apprentice

I don't run a Netgear router any longer but was, a few years back, the proud owner of an r7000 and I distinctly remember buying the XR700 on a snowy day at my local MicroCenter, and being super stoked about it. Fast forward a few years and I, like the previous poster, refuse to run another Netgear ever again.

After a particular firmware update the r7000 started losing the 5ghz band intermittently. It affected hundreds (probably more) of users and was never fixed... if you had the problem you either dealt with it, or bought a new router. I still see this router sold today and can only shake my head that a company still sells this lemon.

And you all know the problems with the xr700. The truth is, the router, while still a good large home router, pales to the latest large home routers out there, even much cheaper ones. I learned 2 lessons, never pay  $400 plus for a router ever again... its just not worth it at the pace they advance, and never buy another Netgear. They have ZERO customer loyalty. They screwed over likely 1000s of r7000 owners, and did the same for everyone who ponied up 400 big ones on their premier xr700 router by better serving customers who paid less for their cheaper router variants. You never see good companies do this. 

I'm am shocked and horrified that there are people posting in this thread that they are getting the xr1000 now... gluttons for punishment I guess. 

Message 374 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this!

As a member of the Netduma team, I don't have any involvement with the R7000, I can assist with the XR700?

If you're still using it, what problems exactly are you experiencing with the XR700? We'd be happy to look into these with you and see if we can find a solution. I understand if you're not interested, but we're here to help if you change your mind.

Message 375 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7