× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700, Duma 3.0

It really depends, there is a whole process with developing firmware and if any issues are found along the way it can delay this, we wouldn't like to give an estimate
Message 476 of 586

Understood, but a regular update would be welcome? A weekly update might be a good idea with changes, just to give others a view of progress?
Message 477 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That would be great but I don't think it is feasible unfortunately - we would have to sacrifice something to do that and that would likely be testing which could lead to bricked routers
Message 478 of 586

What problem is it to tell us what stage of development is the beta? What sacrifice do you have to make to tell us once a week and say:

- Beta is being tested by Duma folks, we are more less 50% there.
- Beta was sent to Netgear, testing by their team around 25%

Etc etc
Message 479 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

From what I've read in previous posts, they already have a version completed and sent to Netgear for them to finish their part. They are also in the process (and hopefully finishing by now) another beta with all the full features of the dumaos 3.0. So we're just waiting for them to finish one or the other. However, I know they finished and sent in their version to Netgear during the .46 FW using the A7 legit version of dumaos and Netgear has released .48 version of A7 legit so. Not sure why they would release another firmware that didn't include the new os that netduma sent them months ago.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 480 of 586

Well, a weekly update letting us know what progress there is might be something that would ease or pain and have some faith. I bought Asus last year because of regular updates, new features added and plenty of already existing features. One reason was Ax but main reason was complete lack of support for flagship DumaOs router.

I think weekly updates, or at least biweekly is something we all deserve. Is that really so hard to do?
Message 481 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

It's not hard to do at all, every major company does progress reports. I think by them saying they don't want to do this for their customers is a way out of transparency so they don't have to tell us how little time they're actually spending on the xr700's fw. Just my theory though.
Message 482 of 586
neebs
Initiate

Yeah, Im confirming pretty much what u guys have guessed and written already..,

However!,..

When I upgraded to -.48 i fell victim to 

loosing DumaOS part of the router, with the annoying message:

"DumaOS not loaded yet!"

"Don't worry we will redirect you shortly."

(You can wait until u die, the only way back in to the router again now is via routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm or 192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm )

Looks like user12a cracked it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Nighthawk-xr700-DumaOS-not-loaded-yet/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-AD7200-x10-Firmware-Ver-1-0-5-24-kills...

To get the red DumaOS software screen onto the unit again, I will need to find a early firmware version that still accepts TFTP, flash that into the unit, then try user12a:s suggestions to try and reset the nvram... (if i can be bothered)

So,.. my advice to u fooks that are satisfied with your working router, if u don't really need the new update - DONT UPDATE -  😛

Message 483 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

So we still waiting for 3.0 or even new beta. It's .48 version added anything new?
Message 484 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

First of all .48 fw is still the old A7 Legit version of dumaos, just with security patches. Now that that's cleared up I'm confused a little. Months ago I remember reading where netduma sent in a complete version of 3.0 to Netgear for finalization. Then, months after that, I read on this forum that netduma was working on a new version of the full version of 3.0 which I was a little confused on since I thought the version they sent to Netgear months prior was a complete version of 3.0. I also remember this new beta was said to bypass Netgear so we didn't have to wait for 2 rounds of testing (one from netduma and one from Netgear) which means we'd get this fully functional 3.0 new beta before the Netgear release (2-3 weeks as I remember from the 3rd of Feb). So I have some questions. First, why are you sending this new beta to Netgear when we were told it would bypass them to get this new beta out to us faster. Secondly, it's almost a month since your announcement of the new beta, a week past your estimate, where are we at with it's release to us? Third, would it take much longer for Netgear to just use that new beta for their final release rather than I guess a "limited feature" version that was given to them months ago? Lastly and I think this would be a beneficial question to users, duma devs and Netgear: wouldn't it be easier and faster to either dedicate teams to specific router models on both duma and Netgear teams OR simply hand over the Netgear side to netduma so we're not getting such a Frankenstein fw and updates can be pushed out faster?
Message 485 of 586
TimboSlice1967
Aspirant

Hi, I have the XR700 running v1.0.1.48 firmware, would I be better running the DumaOS 3.0 beta, currently version v1.0.1.34?  I ran the beta on my old XR500 and there was a big difference, but these numbers make it look like a downgrade?!

Message 486 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

As you mention, this is a patch built by NETGEAR to ensure the latest security patches are addressed. These firmwares are quick and easy to build and release for NETGEAR as they don't have many changes.

The beta firmware we mentioned to you guys is still in the works, we received a build back from NETGEAR to look at although I believe there were still some issues that needed addresssing so we're working on that currently.

I agree it would be best to have dedicated teams for this sort of thing, but resources don't always allow for that kind of allocation unfortunately.

Message 487 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Hey, I responded to your message through our helpdesk earlier today Smiley Happy

Message 488 of 586
TimboSlice1967
Aspirant

cant see it!

Message 489 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

Thank you. Keep us informed please. We can't wait 👍
Message 490 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@TimboSlice1967 it should have been sent to your email, either Inbox or Spam/Junk
Message 491 of 586
deprave
Aspirant

I’ve had trouble with my xr700 having multiple duplicates of the same device. I just seen new firmware it at .48 now. my firmware is still at .46 and my question is should I update to 48 and then go to the beta I don’t know what do you guys think?
Message 492 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can only have one firmware so you can either stay on .46 or upgrade to .48 but you would lose the beta features. If you give devices static IPs and disable any features such as Private Addresses on iOS devices then it should resolve that issue.
Message 493 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

I thought the beta was using the .34 fw, where is the beta on the .46 fw download location?
Message 494 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry I misspoke, there is still only the one beta version, .34, as the above comment was posted in beta I incorrectly judged the version they were referring to.
Message 495 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

No it's ok, I was just thinking I might have missed a post about it and was running on the old beta lol
Message 496 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

Good afternoon Netduma Guys. Any progress with beta 3.0 for our XR700? Thank you and have a great week.
Message 497 of 586
Vinvinsim
Tutor

What ⬆️ This guy said
Message 498 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We are getting there, Netgear have our builds, we're waiting for their testing to be complete, then we'll test it and if it's good we can get a firmware out. That is assuming no major issues are found.
Message 499 of 586
Vinvinsim
Tutor

Pardon my skepticism 3 years into waiting…if I realized that the “3.0”of the 3.0 duma beta was the amount of years I would have to wait to get a realistic update on the date of the firmware release I probably would have reconsidered not to mention your world famous terrible customer service which should be considered a humanitarian crisis in its own right, you realize that you (netgear) could have developed an entire new OS in that time and solved all the problems tested out in the beta… also that Everyone’s “complimentary customer service” period Was essentially burned up waiting for the “full release” considering your not manufacturing the xr700 anymore and we’re probably going to be dead ☠️ By the time firmware comes out…. It truly sums up the tragedy of Netgear pretty nicely…….. You have a router Capable blowing any other piece of hardware out of the water But due to Bugs, incompleteness, incompetence, **bleep**ty customer service, and a Complete negligence to customer suggestion, And what’s starting to look like a company a lot like the Russian army….”they got all the guns…..and no knowlage or experience on how to operate them effectively” so instead they encircle and strangle the population (the population is your customer base)
Message 500 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7