× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700, Duma 3.0

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

We (Netduma) are a separate company and not a part of Netgear, we provide free support to any users of our software here and on our own channels, so how Netgear conduct their customer support isn't something we have input on. Development takes a long time, if issues arise during testing it can reset the process, I understand it has been awhile for an update but we're doing everything we can. We didn't have to bring 3.0 to the 700 but we wanted to give everyone that experience, the next 3.0 version will be a good step up and hopefully make up for the long wait.
Message 501 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

That's true, we can't wait. Any progress guys ?
Message 502 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It's still going through testing, once it's passed we'll see if we can get a beta version out for those that really want to try it.

Message 503 of 586

Any update? 😂
Message 504 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

About to ask same question 🤔
Message 505 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Nothing as yet I'm afraid folks, we've fixed a couple of things and will be resuming testing soon once the builds are complete. We'll keep you up-to-date.

Message 506 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

Thank you for update. You can guys keep eye on UPnP latest xr700 version UPnP don't work as intended. Latest xr500 version also.
Message 507 of 586

Ok guys I quit...it's something unbelievable. We are close to april 2022, over 2 year with basically nothing except delays and broken promises. I understand it could not be completely your fault but it's a shame.

Message 508 of 586

Oh I quit many many months ago, just asking about updates for laughs…

I went to Asus Ax89x and couldn’t be happier. Ax makes a huge difference to my wifi devices, at least 40% faster speeds. Network gaming is as snappy (or better) than on xr700. The only thing I am missing is vpn per individual devices but oh well
Message 509 of 586
irvingr
Guide

I came back after posting this discussion and am still not updated on the DumaOs for the XR700. Netgear & Duma team should feel proud of their work. How can you even feel good about your company and team for not satisfying your customer's needs? People get paid to create nothing or feed bs to the community. I try to humble myself but there comes a time you have to face negative actions or move on from them. I will be selling both XR700 and the R2 and go with an Asus since I hear what a great job on their products and excellent customer service.

Thanks, NetGear and Duma, for the headache provided over the years. I had hopes for 2022, but I guess you can't teach excellent quality these days. Either you have it, or you don't. I hope top management gets a makeover and run a business like I should be running. 

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 510 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Development and testing is going as fast as it can, I wish I could give you any more information but there is nothing that could be said to alleviate peoples concerns other than it's coming out on X date. We realize it has been a long time to wait and we're doing everything to get it out ASAP.
Message 511 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Ok. Honestly I agree with about 80% of this. As heads of 2 companies combine their efforts to build a product, you'd think there'd be more communication between partners. To netduma: your name is on this product and if it were my company I'd be on the horn calling my contacts at Netgear and figuring out what's going on and establishing a timeline to pass on to my customers. That entire "we don't like to give out time-frames" is just a smoke screen because if you wanted to know (which being a product with your name and potential customer base) you'd get that information. Another thing I don't understand is @Liam reported in a thread that they were going to release another beta to us bypassing Netgear (so it doesn't go through 2 rounds of testing) so we'd have full 3.0 before the official release by Netgear. This was early Feb. and was estimated to take 2-3 weeks I assume due to their fantastic new firmware program which they announced months ago. So it's April now. Where is this beta firmware @Liam was talking about? Why tell us netduma will release the beta without the need to get testing from Netgear only to tell us Netgear has it and will be released after testing? There seems to be confusion within your company so that confusion has been passed on to your customers who are waiting for a product you promised only to be reneged and told another story. So enough smoke and mirrors. First, tell us what's going on with the firmware @Liam was talking about, why we were told it would bypass Netgear and given a 2-3 week estimate that's now overdue over a month. Second, take your business name seriously and make the call to Netgear and demand answers (as was stated: even if you have to call the CEO). People don't just blame Netgear for this product snafu - we blame netduma equally. You are half the equation, if you need to speak up and get answers and make demands of your partner then that's what you'll have to do for the sake of your own company. As much as Netgear is dragging on this firmware, netduma's lack of involvement and pressure on the weaker slower partner is just as much to blame.
Message 512 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

The reason we don't give out ETAs is because when you are working with and testing complex software, there's a lot of variables to consider. If we find a bug that's going to prevent release, we'll fix it and get a new firmware built. That then goes through testing again and it's possible this then unearths a different bug. It's impossible to give a timeline because it could pass first try or it could take a few tries. We've tried to be as clear as possible that this is the reason.

The above is also the reason you don't have a beta firmware yet, we've found bugs and are fixing them. It's not a case of trying to trick you or deceive you.

We get that you're all frustrated, we try our best to convey what goes into building these firmwares and explain the time that they take. I can assure you it's still a top priority and we are in constant communication with NETGEAR about it.

Message 513 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@Liam

Why then did you tell us all that your team would be releasing the full 3.0 version in beta in 2-3 weeks in the beginning of Feb? Why did you tell us netduma would bypass Netgear to get the beta to us faster? So my next questions will be:
1. Did you bypass Netgear on this beta?
2. Why give an ETA of 2-3 weeks?
3. Is this firmware going to be beta or final release?
4. Who is working on this firmware NetDuma or Netgear?
Message 514 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

@XR700-Owner 

NETGEAR are not being 'bypassed', it is their hardware and they build the firmware for it with our latest changes. It then goes through our testing and once it's passed it then goes through their testing. When it goes to their testing, we will also release it as an early access beta for those that really want to try it before full release.

Message 515 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@Netduma-Liam 

As quoted:

"NetDuma Partner

‎2022-02-03 06:43 AM

Here at Netduma, we are working on building new XR firmware currently. We plan to give you guys another beta version for the XR700 with all the latest DumaOS features.

This will be quicker because once it's passed our SQA testing, we can release it to you instead of it then having to go to NETGEAR and pass their SQA.

I don't have an ETA for this because it all depends on how long it takes to pass testing, it could pass first try or it could take 3-4 different attempts. What I can say is that we are planning to have this firmware go into testing within the next 2-3 weeks.

Message 2 of 41"

So as your post says " This will be quicker because once it's passed our SQA testing, we can release it to you instead of it then having to go to NETGEAR and pass their SQA."

Please clarify as even I am lead to believe this remark says after your beta passes your SQA testing you'll release it to us as an "early access beta" as you just stated.

Message 516 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I can see why that is misleading, I was not clear enough that NETGEAR build the firmware then send it to us, causing you guys to think that we do the entire process on our own. 

The rest is accurate and you have understood correctly, once the firmware passes our testing we'll get it out to you guys in the form of a beta. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 517 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@Netduma-Liam 

Thank you for the clarification.  So it would take you 2-3 weeks (possibly) to finish the firmware on your end to be passed to Netgear to finish their backend THEN once it passes your SQA you can release it as EAB before Netgear releases a final FW.  Yes it was a little confusing but that happens when you're not in the middle of it.  After all is said and done, NetDuma has at least been very on-point on getting back to us in a timely manner even if we don't like the answers lol.  I don't really understand why a rep from Netgear doesn't chime in from time to time to take on some of the questions regarding status updates etc. but I do appreciate the timely responses.  I am still patiently waiting for the 3.0 full versin for the XR700 as I know the potential of the hardware in this router and I expect when all is said and done the full feature set of 3.0 and a fresh backend should make this still the best gaming router out.

Message 518 of 586
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

The 2-3 week estimate was for the process of sending any changes, getting the firmware back then starting our testing. 

After that, we test, find bugs, fix bugs, build again and repeat until we're happy with it. That loop doesn't necessarily take another 2-3 weeks, but of course if we keep unearthing new problems it can extend the time frame a lot. I apologise that this wasn't very clear.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and understand why it's frustrating, we do our best to give you the most up-to-date transparent answers possible but of course there's often unknowns on our side of things too. We'll keep you as up to date as possible leading up to the release of the beta!

Message 519 of 586

I am developer myself so I know how the whole process works.

It is unacceptable for once flagship router not to have the latest firmware, while lower end products do…
Message 520 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

Totally agree 👍
Message 521 of 586

The funniest thing is that they have taken so long that xr700 technology has become pretty much obsolete. 2 years are a hell of a time guys, even for a single developer to take care of all. It's simply an embarrassing situation, probably the worst that I've seen from a global company.
Message 522 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

What's obsolete about it? Quad core CPU with 512MB ram, a decent wireless system, sfp+ on the wan, good QoS software that works and gaming prioritization. Only thing it doesn't have is WiFi 6 and that's not terrible as most people don't have compatible devices. I think the internals are still buff for today's standards.
Message 523 of 586
BartXR700
Guide

Same here SFP+ WAN QoS. Can't wait for Duma 3.0 with working UPnP and all latest functions.
Message 524 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

So I've seen previous posts about 3.0 FW running on *.36 where I thought the only release was *.34? Can anyone from netduma confirm this *.36 3.0 FW? I saw somewhere where someone from netduma said it would be added to the list but I haven't seen it anywhere else other than 1 post from netduma.
Message 525 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7