× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR700 - DumaOS 3.0 Beta Firmware

XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Ok so you're not understanding me.  QoS is based off of your ISP speeds correct?  So even though no 1 device can use >1Gbps we're talking about WAN speeds here.  This is what I don't understand why I'm not able to save the speeds my ISP is giving me as it's higher than the 1Gbps cap. Even when set to get the speeds automatically (which right now is 1049Mbps down and 37Mbps up) it won't save, the save indicating circle keeps spinning.  This WAN Rx/Tx speed is essential as it's the cap as what's shared across ALL DEVICES and the settings that follow (i.e. congestion control, bandwidth allocation, etc) is a % of that ISP speed. If I'm getting higher than 1Gbps and not being able to report this, I am essentially loosing allocated bandwidth % my devices COULD BE USING. Get it now?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 551 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's a fair point, we will look at increasing the limit.
Message 552 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser  Thanks!  I thought so too!  XoD  And if we're talking about single devices that can achieve >1Gbps - this unit DOES have an 802.11AD radio which theoretically can produce speeds of 7Gbps. Of course I don't have any AD devices and probably most XR700 owners don't either.  But if we're simply distributing the WAN speed across multiple devices both wired & wirelessly we could potentially tax the WAN >1Gbps. If our ISP and Modem support >1Gbps speeds and we're using the sfp+ port to accommodate - I would suggest capping the limit of the Rx/Tx speeds to match that of the fastest port (sfp+) being 10,000Mbps as theoretically we should be able to achieve that speed (even if it's just future-proofing).  As I stated earlier I can get >1Gbps speed test results consistently using the router's speed test and the fastest I've seen is in the 1200Mbps range. 

Message 553 of 586
FURRYe38
Guru

One things that's limiting of this model router is the LAN ports: There max connection rate is 1000Mpbs:

Seven (7) 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit
Ethernet ports
- 1 WAN & 6 LAN

If there were many WIFI AD devices out there, one could possibly see over 1Gb connection rates and thruput on WiFi AD.

The 5Ghz supports 1733Mhz on AC so you can see over 1Gb on thruput speeds depending upon if you had supporting 1733Mhz and 3x3 or 4x4 MIMO supporting devices. 

AD7200 WiFi
- Band 1: 800Mbps @2.4GHz — 256-QAM
- Band 2: 1733Mbps @5Ghz — 256-QAM
- Band 3: 4600Mbps @60GHz — SC

If you had a ISP modem that supports connection rates 2.5Gb or higher of course the router and devices have potential to get over 1Gb speeds if you used the SFP+ port for the WAN connection. However you'll be limited on what you get on the LAN side and wifi side. I most cases this router will never need speeds 10Gb on the LAN side. 

NG needs to start putting out more routers with 2.5Gb or higher connection rated LAN ports. Something we are just staring to see on the Orbi 9 series system. The RAXE has a 2.5Gb WAN or LAN port however all the other ports are still 1Gb only. 

However Higher speeds beyond 1Gb on the LAN side is still kinda spendy when it comes to Ethernet NICs and Switches for the average home user.  I see it's been slowly creeping out on to the market though. Also there are CPU capabilities and heat problems that have to be addressed as well. 

Message 554 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Yes.  I personally have a Motorola MB8611 which has a 2.5Gbps WAN.  I use the SFP+ port with that to achieve >1Gbps WAN speeds. Yes, all ports (except SFP+) are 1Gbps. However, if we were to max out just the 6 LAN ports that would be a tax of 6Gbps on the WAN (which of course I don't think residential customers have available at this time) not to mention the endless Wi-Fi devices you can use concurrently. In my house alone we have multiple towers, laptops, tablets, phones, consoles (and handhelds with Wi-Fi connect ability), 1 printer, chromebooks (I will not call them laptops they don't deserve it) and multiple Roku-TV's (2 4k wired and 5 wireless). Even when we're all home and busy on our devices we might be able to squeek up to 1Gbps for our internet needs (especially if we're downloading multiple things).  The thing is, if we can't allocate that >1Gbps in our QoS then we can't get that extra bump in speed since gaming is always prioritized (not that it takes up an abundance of bandwidth) but it would be a no brainer to just set the max of the speed of the ISP to the max your WAN port allows. I mean I'm not crazy right? It may be a bit soon to suggest 10Gbps allowance on the WAN since no ISP will support 10Gbps yet BUT since the WAN DOES in fact support that speed and maybe EVENTUALLY we'll get there, it should be set to the max that port allows.  Not to mention we already have >1Gbps ISP speeds - it should at least be set higher than 1Gbps.  \o/ I dunno I would just set it to the max port allowance as you wouldn't have to mess with it anymore for future releases anyway.

Message 555 of 586
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can use the SFP port on the router for the WAN side and your mode supports 2.5Gb on it's WAN port then having the largest pipe to allow for data flow would be best. It will be up to the router and devices to handle the bandwidth seen on the 1Gb LAN ports and WiFi connections. I would presume that any bottle necks seen would be at the router or devices where there connection rates are at while connected at the router. 

Message 556 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 

Yes.  But every device is using the QoS rules for "Congestion Control" and "Bandwidth Allocation".  So even if I'm maxed out at the cable modem end @ 2.5Gbps going Cat8 into the XR700 - I'm still only able right now to see 1Gbps because of the cap given by DumaOS.  Every device that's attached to this router is only able to SHARE 1Gbps no matter how much higher my ISP and Modem give me.  That's the issue.  The SFP port allows up to 10Gbps so why not just set the cap at the maximum transmission allowance of that port (10Gbps) that way this issue will never come up again - even for future FW releases. I mean honestly with ISP speeds reaching >1Gbps and this model having an SFP port configurable to be used as WAN, I would think it'd be a no-brainer to set the "bandwidth speed" caps at the max allowance of the SFP port. I mean with a unit like the XR700 why limit the hardware capabilities that it already has?

Message 557 of 586
FURRYe38
Guru

Until ND and NG change the max allowable ceiling beyond 1Gb, you can disable QoS and see how your devices handle thru the router. Having higher speeds at the WAN SPF port, may not see any issues. 

The Max rate on QoS will need to be reviewed and handled by ND and NG since ISP speeds are going beyond 1Gb. Not much else we can do until they make the change in FW. No idea if or when that will happen. 

Message 558 of 586
duxfaber
Aspirant

I bought XR700 and had issues on stock firmware with servers of Rocket League and Roblox (interestingly only on one of the PCs). Did some troubleshooting, probably an uPNP problem.

There are two gaming PCs, connected via LAN.

Now on beta I don't have such issues.

But, when I set Traffic Prioritization "All Devices DumaOS Classified Games", Rocket League Traffic is not detected. Also adding device with "Unreal Engine" also does not detect Rocket League traffic (Rocket League is currently Unreal engine 3 game). Only if I add device with "Games Console", Rocket League traffic is detected and marked as prioritized.

Rocket League is on the list, so I was wondering if that could be changed and put Rocket League on the traffic prioritization list. 

Message 559 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@duxfaber we likely need to update the detection on that service so for the moment you can use the Games Console service as you are doing or make manual rules for the ports the game uses
Message 560 of 586
duxfaber
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser

Thank you for your answer. I would like to have Rocket League on the list because I imagine that gaming-unrelated traffic from the same PC (like Youtube, which my kids commonly use for music in the background during gameplay) could sometimes get in the way.

Could you please explain what the service "Games Console" really does? I mean, the other services probably prioritize specific ports. Does it simply prioritize the whole traffic from that device? In that case it is somewhat misleading in my eyes to call it "Games Console", because consoles sometimes need different ports than gaming PCs.

Message 561 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Prioritizing ports will resolve that, YouTube won't use the same ports as the game. The Games Console service prioritizes ports 1024-65535 so it's unlikely to prioritize any normal web traffic.
Message 562 of 586
duxfaber
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser

OK then. One more question please: What is the significance of assigning titles like "Games Console" in the Device Manager?

Message 563 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So if you give your device a Games Console device type then in the Geo-Filter it would add automatically with the Games Console service, other than that it is more for aesthetics purposes.
Message 564 of 586
irvingr
Guide

Re: XR700, Duma 3.0

Hi @Netduma-Fraser

Any updates for the XR700 3.0 official Duma FW?

Regards, 

Irving

Message 565 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can find firmware progress updates for all platforms here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000132677-dumaos-firmware-progress (Updated weekly)

In short, it is still being tested currently.
Message 566 of 586

in short, testing since 2020

Message 567 of 586

I only want to say to those waiting for a firmware update - upgrade your hardware to latest Asus GT-ax6000 router. It supersedes XR700 in every respect and is now supported by Merlin’s alternative firmware. Regular firmware updates are also guaranteed not to mention huge amount of features.

I am disappointed in Netgear so much I am certain I will never again buy their hardware, at least not powered by Netduma.

I am no longer going to monitor this forum as I don’t care anymore.

Guys, all the best to you!
Message 568 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Any update to the status of dumaOS 3.0 or 3.2 for the xr700? Honestly I think us xr700 owners should take priority over other models which already have the 3.0 official release. Not to mention we've been waiting almost 2 years for this update. And I'm not looking for apologies since we all know that gets nobody anywhere - just maybe looking for someone in the higher ranks ready to tell us the xr700 port over is the highest priority for netduma right now.
Message 569 of 586
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 570 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 

Yes I know.  Nothing has changed for the XR700 on this website since it's been up.  I refuse to believe a team of dev's working a full time on FW bugs can't get the wrinkles ironed out by now.  Although we're still on the 3.0 BETA since 2020 so maybe they're not exactly working a "full time" schedule and I'm expecting too much.  I don't think I'm the only one still wondering what is taking so long on a simple port-over.  Waiting a year and a half on official release of a router's FW is a bit long even if there's only 1 person working on it.  NetDuma is supposedly a smart group of people with a decent size dev team(s).  Honestly don't know what is taking so long.  Also @Netduma-Fraser Just a heads up on your website (http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000132677-dumaos-firmware-progress) current FW for the XR700 is indeed 1.0.1.48 BUT it's only DumaOS 2.0, not 3.0 as advertised on that sheet.  Hopefully NetDuma will wake up and realize we've been waiting a year and a half for the official 3.0 for the XR700 and get to work.

Message 571 of 586
FURRYe38
Guru

There alot more going on than just porting it over. Also ND are the ones that develop the Duma portion of the OS. From there NG has to integrate it and ensure it works with the NG side of things and the HW. Doesn't happen over night. 

Message 572 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

Ok that's a fair statement it's not just a port over. And I realize it isn't a process that can be done overnight but I would expect it to take less than a year and change.
Message 573 of 586
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@XR700-Owner I'd recommend taking a look at our latest video about what we're doing for XR updates, I think you'll be pleased https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvvc1gINAqM
Message 574 of 586
XR700-Owner
Apprentice

It's not that I'm not pleased with the product. Honestly I've tested a slew of different brands routers and I still refuse to let the xr700 go purely because of it's combination of bulk raw power and features with DumaOS. I've also been reading every post since Dec 2020 and when you guys made a new thread about how you've made a new system to create and test your FW I was pretty hopeful. Unfortunately this was literally months ago, so unless that video is talking about a different "new" system I'm sorry but it doesn't really wow me. I will say when you released the status page of the FW process for different models - that to me felt the most like you guys were listening. Again though I haven't seen any change in status for the xr700. I just personally feel like the DumaOS team maybe spreads itself out too thin working on newer FW for different models and maybe different features when we've been kinda put on a shelf because maybe there weren't as many units of the xr700 sold as say the xr500 or maybe even xr1000 by now. It just seems that every other model already had 3.0 official (other than the xr300) and we're just sat here waiting for an endless timeline for our xr700. That's why I was sort of hoping NetDuma would just come out and say "we're going to devote all our time and resources to get the xr700 ready for official 3.0 release". Even though I know it'll go to Netgear and we'll wait months for their testing - at least it's a step closer. Again, and I know I'm not the only one in this topic who probably thinks this, I just feel like the xr700 is neglected a bit and doesn't have the same level of urgency or priority as other models or maybe even development of newer features.
Message 575 of 586
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7