× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox Console Companion

LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Xbox Console Companion

Hey all,

I was looking into the Traffic Prioritization settings under the QoS tab. I was wondering if anyone knows how to manually configure this when streaming Xbox to Windows 10? To provide more context, I'm streaming my Xbox console to my laptop. Would prioritizing the traffic for my Laptop help with streaming in this scenario? If so, does anyone know the specific ports that would need to be used?

From what I could find, this link mentions a few ports when streaming xbox from anywhere https://www.androidauthority.com/stream-xbox-one-to-windows-10-970235/

With the introduction of the new Xbox app for Windows 10, I'd imagine that console streaming will likely move to the new app and away from the Compaion app.  - I've not been able to confirm this, or if this would impact how we would need to configre the traffic?

I'd be happy to test this out if we think it's worth addressing, unless All Devices - DumaOS Classified Games already considers this?

Thank you,

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't suggest doing that as Traffic Prioritization supersedes QoS and is meant for low bandwidth traffic. The best thing to do would be to allocate bandwidth to the devices and use Congestion Control to prevent lag.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't suggest doing that as Traffic Prioritization supersedes QoS and is meant for low bandwidth traffic. The best thing to do would be to allocate bandwidth to the devices and use Congestion Control to prevent lag.
Message 2 of 9
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Thank you for the insight, this is great to know!
I'll give this method a try, and post an update.

Much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

This worked like a charm! As for all things streaming, especially gaming, it's much better with a wired connection for both devices. But adjusting the QoS to provide more bandwidth to the laptop helped a bunch. 

Message 4 of 9
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I wanted to take a second to circle back on this one. If I stream from the Xbox in the same room as my laptop but using my phone, I have zero issues, no lag spikes, no quality degradation. However, if I use my laptop in the same location, I encounter both problems. I'm connected on both devices using 5Ghz.

The QoS settings designate both download and upload for the laptop and the phone has next to nothing allocated... The only variable I can think of is that my laptop utilizes Killer Control Center. This is the version installed https://www.killernetworking.com/products/killer-wireless-ac-1550/

I suspect this might be the culprit that is causing the issues for the laptop. They do have the option to install just the drivers, but would it be worth reaching out to them directly before doing so? https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-remove-the-killer-control-center/  

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

5GHz is good for speed but not necessarily for stability, if I was going to stream like that I'd suggest using 2.4GHz, it will be more stable. See if that works, otherwise yes it's possible that in conjunction with the router is causing an issue. Well try just the drivers and then see if you have the issue, if you don't then that will be it. If not then try disabling QoS completely on the XR.
Message 6 of 9
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I conducted some more testing on this, the 2.4 GHz worked perfectly, and checked all of the boxes during the stream test via the console companion. However, the 5 GHz band worked only on the lowest setting when QoS is disabled. This isn't ideal, but at least there is a solid workaround when I want to stream. 

I've tried allocating an equal split of the bandwidth to just the laptop and Xbox but that still turns up a bad result. Not sure what the ideal QoS setting would be other than disabling it? Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, could they share their QoS Bandwidth Allocation settings?

Thanks for following up on this, we have a great workaround right now but hopefully we can find a way to leave QoS enabled.

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are the exact speeds you pay for/receive exactly? I think the 5GHz is just not stable enough for streaming which is why it worked well on 2.4. You can try using a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel for 5GHz and change to that and see if it helps.
Message 8 of 9
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Currently paying for 940 Up/880 Down and receiving 745 Up/707 Down.

That's a good call regarding the analyzer, sadly tried that initially. I think you're right about 5Ghz although signal strength was above 85. It still seems that 2.4Ghz is the way forward. We're actually moving in next month and I'm planning to just hardwire each device that can be. I've tested this extensively, at the current location, even with the QoS enabled using wired is flawless.

Will keep you all posted, as always, I appreciate the help!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7