× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 AP mode

madmikep
Aspirant

Xr500 AP mode

I Have An Xr500 Setup In AP mode the problem is how Do I See The Devices That Are Connected Since Device Manager Is Disabled?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

In AP mode it's acting as a basic wired extender/switch so you have no Duma functions. 

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

As above! Take the XR out of AP mode to use DumaOS' features!

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Netduma-Liam and @Newfiedrool are correct. 

Why do you have it in AP mode? Its a big pointless to have a gaming router if its running in AP mode. 

How can we help you get it connected properly in router mode?
What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 4 of 10
madmikep
Aspirant

Because I finely setup my EdgeOS - ERPOE-5 Firewall in front of it and the 8 plus year old Netgear router that I had before start to have WiFi problems so I got a XR500 which was a big mistake (Wifi drops 2 to 3 times a day)  Yes I did a factory reset which you should never have to do 

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

There's a beta firmware just released that addresses some DHCP issues found on the XR500, you could try installing that, then perform a factory reset and see if the drops continue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0

Message 6 of 10
madmikep
Aspirant

Already on the 114 version.  XR500 is not even providing DHCP that is provided by windows via DHCP relay.  Still should be able to look at the web interface an see what devices are connected to it.   Why even have an AP mode if you cannot even see what devices are using it?   BIg security problem

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The 114 version of the beta? You may be on the 2.0 firmware - which doesn't have Connection Benchmark etc. That's just how the AP mode works - you can't change any settings for them so it's not really needed. If you're worried about security then you would use it in router mode where the router firewall can be active properly.
Message 8 of 10
madmikep
Aspirant

As in the above posts I already have a real router in front of it EdgeRouter- ERPOE-5.   The XR500 was purchased before I setup the Edgerouter it replaced an old Netgear router that start having Wi-Fi problems.   I was going to us the XR500 as an AP and a Backup in case the Edgerouter died.  But since it does not have any management of the devices when in AP plus the problems with the random drops I think I am just going to go and get a Ubiquiti AP

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The version linked above should resolve those drop issues. It's a powerful router mostly bought for the features and settings it provides rather than to be put in AP mode. The Edgerouter would see the devices as though they were directly connected to it so that sounds better for what you want.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7