× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xr500 since beta my download speed is capped

devi343
Tutor

Xr500 since beta my download speed is capped

So I downloaded the beta 3.0 hoping it would fix the constant internet outages everyday and now im no longer getting my download speeds. Ill post in order what I did and what changed.

-installed 3.0

-Speeds remain the same about 930-950 download and upload 100.

-did the recommended factory reset.

-now download speed is capped at 60 and upload 100. (speedtest.net reports 60 and the router speed test reports 400)

-turned off QOS entirely and now speedtest.net says im capped at 100 download and again 100 upload.

-Speed on the router is set to 950 download and 100 upload.

So heres something im noticing is when I look at the device manager in table mode it shows port 2 as full duplex and capped at 100mbits. This is the port my computer is connected too so why did it to do that and how do i change it? However whats more off is below that table it shows my computer as being on port 3 and open to 1000mbits so im seeing 2 different things here but physically my computer is connected to port 2 on the router. Its connected with a brand new cat8 that was working just fine for months so no its not the cable or my computer as I have a gbit port on the computer and again been working fine for months with this router and years before that. I have no modem never have. My ISP uses fiber and the internet cable is plugged directly into the router from the outside. Also my ISP speeds are 1000/100. So please help get this corrected.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you do a WiFi speed test from any other device and a wired speed test from another device what speeds do you get?
Message 2 of 15
devi343
Tutor

If I do a wifi test from my Iphone with speedtest app I get 116 download and 94 upload with the 5ghz band. If I do wireless on my computer (unplugged the cord). I get 108 download and 95 upload. I also dont have the antenna connected cause I never use wifi with my desktop but the desktop is 3 feet away from the router. 

I ran another test with the desktop with it wired and the wifi turned off. I get 99 download and 95 upload. Of course before I reset the router to factory after installing the beta I was getting wired 930 download on average and 99 upload. I dont a laptop I can try to wire up. I do have a work computer its an Imac but its locked down hard I cant do anything besides work on it.

Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you provide a screenshot of the Device Manager table view as well as Settings > Monitoring > Statistics please?
Message 4 of 15
devi343
Tutor

Message 5 of 15
devi343
Tutor

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great thank you, if you connect the same device with the same cable to either port 1 or 4 what speeds do you get?
Message 7 of 15
devi343
Tutor

Im ahead of you on that one i tried earlier when I did my testing I get the exact same infact it varied between 90-99 download and always the same upload of 95.

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you very much for the information, I have passed it on to a developer to take a look at.
Message 9 of 15
bryer84
Apprentice

Disable QoS and see if that sorts things out!

Message 10 of 15
devi343
Tutor

Yeah i disabled QOS entirely and that increased it from 60-70 to 100 but its stuck at 100. Will not increase. So what do I do now should I go back to duma 2.0?

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The 500 and 450 series are same HW and base code sans wifi connection rates on 2.4Ghz with the 450. 

You should be seeing speeds near 900Mpbs or anything up to that speed range. 

Mine is with recent 3.0 FW we go for our 450s:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR450-DumaOS-3-0-Firmware/m-p/19882...

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@devi343 I have let our team know about this so they are looking into it. If you really need above that speed then yes downgrade for now.
Message 13 of 15
defiled669
Apprentice

ok do you have your bandwidth alocation on and what are your set speeds for your device you are testing on

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

When speed testing, I always use a wired PC to confirm I'm getting to sped speeds with the ISP service. I check both in router app speed and Ooklas installable speed test app to compare any discrepancies as seen in the link I provided. Testing QoS both enabled and disabled. 

I don't set any allocation configurations in BA, just use default settings out of the gate:

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 11.56.46 AM.png

@defiled669 wrote:

ok do you have your bandwidth alocation on and what are your set speeds for your device you are testing on

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7