× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.3.2.56 FW Version

barcallin
Guide

2.3.2.56 FW Version

Just purchased an XR450 and had to RMA my first one because it would not get ip address from modem and after a factory reset it picked one up and then dropped.  Got my new one today and started experiencing the same syptoms.  Turns out the latest firmware for this router breaks it.  

Is anyone aware of this and if so is a fix going be released?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: 2.3.2.56 FW Version

I'd recommend you downgrade back to the firmware that works for you and then wait for the new firmware where that shouldn't be an issue.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So just to clarify, you've tried previous firmware versions and you don't experience this issue? If you set the router to use a static IP in Internet Setup and then reboot does that keep it connected?
Message 2 of 14
barcallin
Guide

That is correct currently running 2.3.2.40 and the issue does not occur.  As soon I as I upgrade to 2.3.2.56 it does not retain the ip address.  No I have not tried setting the ip address statically.  I can try later tonight and see what happens.

Message 3 of 14
barcallin
Guide

So I upgraded to the lates firmware again and the router got an ip address and worked fine.  However, after doing a release and renew it refused to pick up and an ip address.  I entered a static ip address did not make a difference.  I had to downgrade all the way to 2.3.2.32 to get the router working again and then upgrade back 2.3.2.40. 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I have my XR450 connected to a CM1100 and it's using v56 FW...

@barcallin wrote:

So I upgraded to the lates firmware again and the router got an ip address and worked fine.  However, after doing a release and renew it refused to pick up and an ip address.  I entered a static ip address did not make a difference.  I had to downgrade all the way to 2.3.2.32 to get the router working again and then upgrade back 2.3.2.40. 

Message 5 of 14
barcallin
Guide

SURFBoard SB6190 HW ver.3 SW ver. 9.1.93V

Spectrum ISP

I own the modem

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing I notice with the XR450 router, you have to power OFF or Reboot the ISP modem before the XR correctlly handshakes with the modem correctly and the Internet LED finally turns WHITE. 

Be aware of your 6190 modem:

http://www.badmodems.com

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try what you did again please, once you've released/renewed the IP address and then set it to static reboot the router and it should work.
Message 8 of 14
barcallin
Guide

Okay I updated the firmware, released and renewed no go.  Entered the static ip, the connection stayed for a bit and then dropped.  I rebooted the router with the static ip and it seems to be working so far.  I will monitor it over the next free days.  The router firmware is not as robust as my previous Netgear routers.  Yesterday my modem got rebooted and i had to reboot the router for hit to pick up an ip address.  Never had to do that before.

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear, do keep us updated and hopefully the next version will be more stable for you.
Message 10 of 14
barcallin
Guide

Me too.
Message 11 of 14
barcallin
Guide

So I had to reboot the router and I was dead in the water.  Since other ppl are on that firmware and are not having any issues.  Im guessing the firmware has an issue with modem.  Not sure what it is but that firmware just does not work for me.

Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you downgrade back to the firmware that works for you and then wait for the new firmware where that shouldn't be an issue.
Message 13 of 14
barcallin
Guide

Yeah that is what I am doing. Thanks for the help everyone.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7