× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.4Ghz Guest Network SSID Key

Jim_Albani
Guide

2.4Ghz Guest Network SSID Key

I migrated from a Linksys EA9500 to Netgears Nighthawk XR500 Pro gaming router so I'm a bit new with it, It seems fairly straight forward but what I'm having trouble with is setting a 2.4Ghz Band Guest wifi account on the router. It allows me to specify the 2.4Ghz SSID name ok, but when I select WPA2-PSK (AES) and enter in a sepperate password , it changes my main SSID's password to match.. Does this mean I can only have the same SSID Network key for both SSID's ? I think that would be kind of pointless if anyone knew both SSID's were the same... They'd just log into the main Wifi SSID.. Any help would be greatly appreciated in case I'm missing something.... I'm Running Duma OS Firmware V2.3.2.56

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like you have Smart Connect enabled which makes one SSID and devices use both 2.4/5GHz depending on their needs and will switch automatically. If you want separate then just disable Smart Connect and you can set a different password just for 2.4GHz.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like you have Smart Connect enabled which makes one SSID and devices use both 2.4/5GHz depending on their needs and will switch automatically. If you want separate then just disable Smart Connect and you can set a different password just for 2.4GHz.
Message 2 of 3
Jim_Albani
Guide

Sorry for the delayed reply.... But just want to say thanks! That seemed to take care of it! I'm somewhat normal once again 😉 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7