× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 lights white 2 lights Amber xr500

TheMattMan
Guide

2 lights white 2 lights Amber xr500

I recently bought a XR500 router and the two connected computers always show a flashing white lift and my ps4 and lg oled tv always show a flashing amber light. It’s seems the tv gets kicked off network a lot. Are they supposed to be amber? Or is there a setting to change?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2 lights white 2 lights Amber xr500

LED colors are a indication of speed of the connection between the router and devices connected. Amber means that the speed is 100mb while WHITE is 1000Mb. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I bought all new cat6 cables and still have the same lights. The colors follow the devices if I change where they are plugged in. Everything is within 10’ of router
Message 3 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't happen to have a external Gb network switch do you? Something you could connect between the router and your devices? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS105.aspx

Sounds like something is possibly wrong with your devices...If these are the only ones doing this.  

Message 4 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

No switch, spectrum supplied arris modem connected to router.
Message 5 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP supplied modem? 

Can you try putting in a external switch and see if the problem remains? The switch may know similar indications of 100Mb vs 1000Mb connection rates. 

Message 6 of 39
schumaku
Guru

Of course the white or amber LED does follow the device - these are not Gigabit Ethernet capable devices, so the speed negotiates to 100 Mbit/s or even 10 Mb/s - and this amber LED is indicating the lower link speed. Can't see anything wrong here - this was mentioned above already...
Message 7 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

It is a Arris modem model TG1672G
I will have to get a switch as I do not have one. My PS4 should be better than 10/100 and even so I am only getting around 30mb dl with a 115mb connection, with nothing else running. I gave the ps4 priority.
Message 8 of 39
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried different cables? A cat7 cable for example?

Message 9 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know if the modem is bridged or in router mode? Your modem already has a built in router. Though this shouldn't effect the connection rate between the XR router and your two devices...

The PS4 is 1000mb supporting. Not sure about the TV. Something to check with the TVs mfr about. 

A check with the PS4 connected to the ISP modem if it's in router mode and speed test there to see if the speed is better or the same. 

@TheMattMan wrote:
It is a Arris modem model TG1672G
I will have to get a switch as I do not have one. My PS4 should be better than 10/100 and even so I am only getting around 30mb dl with a 115mb connection, with nothing else running. I gave the ps4 priority.

Message 10 of 39
schumaku
Guru

The PS4 connection port LED does show white, not amber?

Where/how do you find the PS4 making lower rates, what speed test or game download? There are lengthy discussions and explanations why the PS4 does not reach wire speed in the net.
Message 11 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I haven't tried cat7 cable yet, I just bought new cat6 cables and there was no change. I am not sure if modem is in bridged or router mode. How can I check this? Would I have to unplug Netgear router and try to get to the modem settings by logging into it like the router?  I will have to check with the TV, I know it is a LG OLEDB7 model. The PS4 does still show amber lights and I am using the network check on the ps4 itself to check speeds. But it is hanging around 30-55mb

Message 12 of 39
schumaku
Guru

The PS4 does support Gigabit Ethernet, another cable, and/or another port (known working with GbE) should fix things.

The LG OLED B7 seems to be Fast Ethernet only, several thready, e.g. here in the Plex forum: https://forums.plex.tv/t/known-limitations-to-transfer-speeds-via-ethernet-on-lg-b7-aka-2017-models/...

Any healthy and standard compliant cable with four pairs (eight strands) as CAT5E or better can handle these speeds.

Message 13 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

If your XR router is getting a private IP address on this Internet side, 192.168.something or 10 or a 172 address, then the ISP modem isn't fully bridge. If the XR router is getting a ##.##.###.### kind of IP address on it's WAN side, then the modem is bridge or passing thru the pubic IP address.

Modem Combo Units:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@TheMattMan wrote:

I haven't tried cat7 cable yet, I just bought new cat6 cables and there was no change. I am not sure if modem is in bridged or router mode. How can I check this? Would I have to unplug Netgear router and try to get to the modem settings by logging into it like the router?  I will have to check with the TV, I know it is a LG OLEDB7 model. The PS4 does still show amber lights and I am using the network check on the ps4 itself to check speeds. But it is hanging around 30-55mb

Message 14 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

Ok I found my modem online and how to set it to bridge mode, after I did it I rebooted the router. The modem said it was restarting but sat on a spinning logo for a long time and never did anything so I unplugged the modem and after it restarted I could no longer access the modem by entering in the same ip address as before. It just sits trying to load, but never doing anything. I can now access the router by entering routerlogin.net, before I always had to get to the login through a weird ip. So I am guessing it actually did change it to bridge mode because I can't seem to access it. I am also pretty sure the XR online status used to stay on constant and now it is flashing with the other lights. The two ambers are still amber though and the PS4 is no faster.

Message 15 of 39
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hmm, maybe you should go through the internet setup wizard again on the XR500? Might be it needs reconfiguring.

Message 16 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

After bridging the modem, besure you power off both modem and XR router for 1 minute. Then power ON the modem and let it sync with ISP services. Then power on the XR router. You may want to factory reset the XR router at this point and walk thru the setup wizard as suggested. 

@TheMattMan wrote:

Ok I found my modem online and how to set it to bridge mode, after I did it I rebooted the router. The modem said it was restarting but sat on a spinning logo for a long time and never did anything so I unplugged the modem and after it restarted I could no longer access the modem by entering in the same ip address as before. It just sits trying to load, but never doing anything. I can now access the router by entering routerlogin.net, before I always had to get to the login through a weird ip. So I am guessing it actually did change it to bridge mode because I can't seem to access it. I am also pretty sure the XR online status used to stay on constant and now it is flashing with the other lights. The two ambers are still amber though and the PS4 is no faster.

Message 17 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

Ok I will try that when I am home from work today
Message 18 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

ok its now worse after all of that... lol. So glad I bought a good router to basically do better with the cable supplied modem. I figured out after calling spectrum that while trying to turn modem into bridge mode it wouldn't let me because I was paying for wireless for lots of years. I finally got them to take the wireless off which took 3 depts and now the modem can be set to bridge mode but the router is wtill showing ambers and now my dl on the ps4 has dropped from 35mb to 25mb. I have no idea whats going on. Everything I change makes it worse.

Message 20 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I am getting 30 mbps faster wireless than wired. I don't understand.

Message 21 of 39
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well that doesn't make much sense. Have you tried different Ethernet cables? Could be you have a faulty one.

Message 22 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is loaded on the XR router? If v40, please downgrade to v32, factory reset and then setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

After setting up the XR, wire connect 1 PC with the XR and speed test with the PC only. Don't use the PS4. 

Were you using the ISP modem before as your main host router or did you have something different before you bought the XR router? 

@TheMattMan wrote:

ok its now worse after all of that... lol. So glad I bought a good router to basically do better with the cable supplied modem. I figured out after calling spectrum that while trying to turn modem into bridge mode it wouldn't let me because I was paying for wireless for lots of years. I finally got them to take the wireless off which took 3 depts and now the modem can be set to bridge mode but the router is wtill showing ambers and now my dl on the ps4 has dropped from 35mb to 25mb. I have no idea whats going on. Everything I change makes it worse.

Message 23 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I have firmware V2.3.2.40. How do I downgrade it? Everytime I do a factory reset when it nears the end of installation it always checks for new firmware. It doesn't install because it installed this firmware the very first time I installed router. I actually had a older version of a nighthawk router I forget which one, the one with all the antenas going down each side of it vs the back. It was always fine and a recent lightning storm took it out. I have tried old cables, new cables, cat5, cat6, it always is the same. It seems that the computers have full speedtest and are running fine.

Message 24 of 39
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You can install older firmware by going to Settings > Admin > Firmware Update and first Disabling automatic updates. Then you can upload a firmware file that you get from here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx

Doesn't matter if the firmware is older or newer, just ignore the warning and upload it.

Message 25 of 39
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7