× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 lights white 2 lights Amber xr500

TheMattMan
Guide

I did a factory reset and installed old firmware, do I need to do another factory reset?
Message 26 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I have 118 DL and 11.7 UL with only one computer connected. Can I start connecting other computers.

Message 27 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I will have to try more stuff after work... after firmware downgrade duma started acting buggy and it lost online status. Just a blinking orange light
Message 28 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

Has any one had a bad port right out of box? Was just thinking that I bought a new patch cable because the one that came with the router anytime you moved it online disconnected. I bought the new cable and thought maybe it fixed it, but when left for work today it acts like it has no cable connected. I will play with it more tonight, it just seems out of the box it hasn’t worked quite right. I’m sure convincing Netgear of that would be quite impossible. I guess I could see if amazon would exchange it. I also bought a extended warranty with it.
Message 29 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I would either return the XR from where you got it and get another or ask NG for an RMA....

Message 30 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I started a return on the router, i will continue to mess with this one tonight. Do you think the speeds would be better if I ran a switch? And if so do you have a affordable brand you like?
Message 31 of 39
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think a return is probably best as it seems some of your issues could be hardware related. If there are port issues then it's unlikely, are speeds better with QoS disabled in Anti-Bufferbloat options?
Message 32 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try. Won't hurt anything. 

I'm using D-Link DGS-105/108 series. Non managed and non green ethernet. I think NG has similar GS seriers as well. 105/108

@TheMattMan wrote:
I started a return on the router, i will continue to mess with this one tonight. Do you think the speeds would be better if I ran a switch? And if so do you have a affordable brand you like?

Message 33 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

Speeds are the same with or without bufferbloat disabled. I've even tried to set up some nighthawk gaming setups and it makes no difference. I tried this with a little increase in speed https://www.letsplayindex.com/video/best-settings-netgear-xr500-nighthawk-gaming-router-ps4-mgRgNO7K... I am still staying amber on the ps4 with low speeds hanging in the 30mb with nothing else runing. Computers are all getting pretty decent speeds.

I should be getting a replacement tomorrow if the postal service will leave it, monday if not. I've always thought that the plug for the patch cable seemed a little iffy. I guess I will know soon enough.

Message 34 of 39
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're not getting faster speeds with QoS disabled then it's likely not specifically a software issue. Try connecting to it using the 5GHz WiFi, what speeds do you get then?
Message 35 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

Ok I received the new router and have it installed. I am ending up with similiar issues in that the PS4 is still showing amber and I am only getting speeds of 37-40mbs wired and 5G is getting speeds of 89mbs. Seems very strange, anyone have a solution to this? I can order more new cables, but I have 5 brand new cat6 cables and all of them are amber on the PS4 and white on any of the computers.

Message 36 of 39
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As with QoS disabled the speeds don't increase this is likely something else. Speeds on a console can vary a lot, are you using the Geo-Filter when testing? - That could be blocking a fast server.
Message 37 of 39
TheMattMan
Guide

I've tried both with geo filtering on and off and it seems pretty similiar. I only play Destiny and I know the servers are in Las Vegas. So I can do a setup just for Destiny and it usually does a circle around Nevada. I ordered a switch today to see if it helps or not also. The ps4 should be a white led, cant figure out why it stays amber.

Message 38 of 39
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Amber just means it is an ethernet cable in that port so I think that is fine. I would also try a different port on the router and see if you get faster speeds that way.
Message 39 of 39
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7