× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4k Streaming

Danny80916
Luminary

4k Streaming

I am at a lose I cant seem to stream 4k movies on vudu. I finally was able to get to stream a 4k movie earlier when i turned off QoS 100% When Qos is on I go to stream a movie and I get a network error has happened then the app crashs. I have messed with bufferbloat turned off the DumaGames turned things off and on . I would like to be able to use QoS tho.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are your bandwidth speeds and what are your QoS settings?
Message 2 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Download speed set at 285 usally get 299 on speedtest Bufferbloat set at 73% 204

have ran it with never on have ran it with DumaOS Classified Games on and off Have had bufferbloat set at never have had it set at always. I get the same results unless I turn off Qos also with QoS on blu ray player can't connect to sony to check for updates.

Message 3 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

side note HDX movies play fine with QoS on soon as I change to UHD It pops up Network error has happened. 

Message 4 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make sure Traffic Prioritization doesn't have DumaOS Classified Games enabled or any manual rules. Use 70% for download/upload on Anti-Bufferbloat and make sure you've put in the speeds you pay for in Anti-Bufferbloat options. Set to Always and on the Geo-Filter make sure the Vudu device isn't added.
Message 5 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Did that and Turned QoS back on went to stream a movie now Error Unable to stream this movie at the moment due to a network error popped up again. If QoS is off works when on does not even with those settings like you asked.

Message 6 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Did a soft reset and a hard reset on the router also.

Message 7 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Whats the error that appears?

Untick disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Settings also.
Message 8 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Just says Error Unable to stream this movie at the moment Due to a network Error . I did uncheck that and reenabled Qos Still a no go giving network error message

Message 9 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put the Vudu device in the DMZ does that resolve the issue?
Message 10 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Did not work also have opened the ports
Message 11 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put the Vudu device in Traffic Prioritization using all ports (1-65535) and apply QoS, see if that works. I wouldn't recommend using that setup but for debug reasons.
Message 12 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

still getting the error message as soon as i turn QoS back on Traffic Prioritization. Side note tho with QoS off currently my internet dropouts from xbox one on instant on stopped happening .

Message 13 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

have left everything else the way you said also.

Message 14 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you got Vudu on any other devices that you can try to see if they get the same error? Would also recommend contacting Vudu, I've seen a few support topics on their forum about it. They may have some other suggestions.

Message 15 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

yea I have a sony x700 blu ray player, main one that keeps giving the error. I also have a xbr55x900F sony android tv that vudu says no network plug in a cable error message when trying to play 4k uhd content all sd and hdx play fine only 4k content pops up errors about no network cables on tv when QoS is on have tried dmz and trafic for both devices .

Message 16 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Also have tried diffrent ports cables and wifi. On lan I can't connect to sonys update site on both devices with QoS on . Once turned off I can access there update check . On wifi I can access update check website. I feel like it a bug maybe

Message 17 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

I am on V2.3.2.26

Also only new 2018 sony devices are effected by it I have apple 4k xbox one x all stream 4k no problem.

Message 18 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting. Do you have Share Excess off for Download/Upload in Bandwidth Allocation? If so enable it for both, does that resolve the issue?
Message 19 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

it is enabled 

Message 20 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Look up how much 4k streaming needs then allocate a bit more than that to the device and untick share excess.
Message 21 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

just for laughs i set it at 200mbs out of my 250mb i pay for and it still wont work with QoS on and not sharing 

Message 22 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

I am really suprised no one else has not run into this.

Message 23 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're right, it would have come up right now and with those speeds theres no way it shouldn't work which points to a client issue. Have you contacted Vudu?
Message 24 of 42
Danny80916
Luminary

Yes I have reached there T3 tech and he has clue and still looking into it. But the odd thing is WIth QoS on I can't connect to the software update page it fails for the tv and blu ray player.

Message 25 of 42
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7