× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ADD NIGHTHAWK XR500

Kevin1199
Guide

ADD NIGHTHAWK XR500

New Firmware Update Requests:

- Ability to add WAN IP to DMZ (similar to NetDuma campability)

- Ability to add PS4 console as a prioritization 

- Game console misspelling under QOS tab / Traffic Prioritization 

- Update to QOS intructions: https://kb.netgear.com/000053112/How-do-I-set-up-QoS-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Router

- Adding Call of Duty Black Ops 4 as a DumaOS Classified Game

Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

1. In settings > WAN you can add a device to the DMZ. You cannot add a WAN IP to a DMZ as this wouldn't make sense, can only be a local IP i.e. a device connected to the router.
2. DumaOS Classified Games encompasses all consoles. The Games Console service also includes this.
3. What is the misspelling? That is has an 's'?
4. Good shout, will pass onto the team.
5. For PC or console? If console then already included.

You don't need to add all those ports for the console, the default DumaOS Classified Games will prioritize it.
Message 2 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

First I want to say thank you for your quick response. 

Secondly, lets come to a conclusion that this gaming router was destined for another update and not just the QOS instructions that we have already both agreed needs a little updating

1) It does make sense to add the WAN IP to the DMZ , because the Netgear Nighthawk is not an All-In-One Router/Modem Setup. The WAN IP in the DMZ will allow any modem (separate from the router) to be placed as the DMZ.  In addition, the NetDuma router has this DMZ feature for the same purpose which is where the DumaOS software for the Netgear Nighthawk originated from. 

2) You say DumaOS includes all consoles and that the "Games Console" also does, well that is not made clear inside the router and that is what us gamers are looking for when configuring a QOS. As far as I know ""DumaOS classified games means that if they are classified they would be listed inside the game list category, which is not listed as of now. 

In addition to this, for gamers not to know if adding both DumaOS classified games and "Games Console" makes any sense to us that would make this router unclear to even the Netgear expert that I spoke to via Virtual Assistance.  

3) Yes Games Console, if you are going to say Games Console that would mean that the indication of the console that you are referring to would have to be included for example (XBOX, PS4, PS3, PS2) etc.   BUT if you say Game Consoles , then you would be saying all game console"s"

Which Again, is not made clear. 

4)  CHECK MARK

5) For Console: You say Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is already included, when I look at the list of games there is no where that includes any Call of Duty Games. 

6) You say we don't need to add all these ports, but we actually do in the case of having two Game Consoles trying to use UPnP to send the same port numbers and possibly other cases which cause lag when the same ports are trying to be sent via UPnP. 

If you have a solution for lag caused by two Game consoles using the same ports under UPnP, please send me that info. But what i can say is, if you can place a feature which can turn on/off UPnP for individual devices and not just turn it completely on/off to all devices it will stop lag caused by same ports trying to be sent at the same time by two different consoles under UPnP -  AND yes i have tested this theory many of times and have concluded that it does cause lag inside a server. 

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ would be only needed if you had a device that you wanted place on the front lines of the internet service with out any firewall protection. DMZ can be problematic for some devices as DMZ doesn't provide any security protections. Some devices like VoIP repeaters or microcells or some servers can be used in the DMZ. In most cases DMZ isn't really needed. However it is nice to have that feature inlcuded. 

DMZ in a modem router combination with the XR would be beneficial and needed if the modem/router combo can't be fully bridged and you need more public IP address exposure to the internet with the XR. Using the DMZ on the model router combo helps with the double NAT condition. It's still there, however less problematic for devices and applications working behind the XR router in this kind of configuration. 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

Message 4 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

1) I don't follow your logic I'm afraid. The DMZ will pass all port traffic incoming to the router to a local device. It would make no sense to pass that back upstream. Could you clarify? Also the R1 has never had a DMZ option, if you're talking about the WAN IP and the box showing in the device manager that is different.

2) Traffic Prioritization has a help icon as do all the other panels on the router which provides more information about what that feature does/how it works. There it says: "By default, DumaOS prioritizes DumaOS Classified Games, which is a preset list of games and covers all console games and most PC games."

3) I think either way would work, I doubt people are interpreting it differently but I'll pass to the team.

5) See #2

6) No need, #2 still applies there.

Conflicting ports will most likely lead to NAT issues, are you having that? Port forwarding can ensure you don't use the same ports or if on Xbox you can set each to use a specific port.
Message 5 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

I just want to say that the Netduma R1 does have DMZ and it always did, it is the only reason why I asked about this DMZ feature. With that said, I’m afraid I cannot continue this conversation knowing that what you just said is not factual.
Message 6 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I was the second beta tester for the Netduma R1 before it was even announced/hit the market. I have worked for the company ever since. There is no DMZ feature on the R1. Please provide a screenshot of where you believe the DMZ feature on the R1 is located.
Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like someone needs some education on some networking standards. Smiley Wink

Good Luck in our endeavours. 

Message 8 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

Hey there,

So I plugged up my Netduma R1 this weekend and you are correct about it not having DMZ settings, what I had on my mind at that time was with setting up DMZ within the modem and not the router, since I have been discussing different settings with my Modem manufacturer. 

With using Duma Classified Games for QOS I'm not too sure which settings are better. I have been placing ports inside the QOS instead and it seems to have worked better than the Duma Classified Games or Games Console options unless I am mistaken.

Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If ports seem to be working better for you then use them, as long as they're not causing you any adverse affects. We encourage experimentation, every connection is different, whatever works for you!
Message 10 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

Now the router won't login to the configuration page by going to 192.168.1.1 

I tried resetting by pressing the reset button on the back but that was a no go...

What can I do to fix this?

Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you changed your LAN IP? Also try accessing via routerlogin.net
Hold the reset button down for 20-30 seconds and it'll reset.
Message 12 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

Ok, got everything working again just had to do a hard reset on the modem. Awesome, hey thank you for all your help!

Message 13 of 18
Kevin1199
Guide

Some devices including two PS4 show offline under device manager eventhough they are online and still very laggy. Please help.

Message 14 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Should just be able to do a reboot and that should resolve it.
Message 15 of 18
TheMattMan
Guide

Ok reboot of router did nothing different. I am still amber on the PS4 and its still getting horrible DL speeds. I can get better speeds with the Spectrum modem/router. It is only doing 30mb with nothing else using bandwidth out of 117mb.

Message 16 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you having a similar issue as this isn't your original topic. What speeds do you get with other wired devices?
Message 17 of 18
TheMattMan
Guide

sorry posted on wrong post

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7