× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

.APPLE???

WacoJohn
Luminary

.APPLE???

Never noticed until now because they are hidden.  See screenshot:apple.png

Uhm ... this is a Windows shop.  No Apple iron or s/w on it.  This is a partial shot of W10-64 Explorer .... Readyshare drive (mapped to M:) connected to router.  The dates show as fairly recently.

I have no idea what they (.AppleDesktop etc) are.  The two Apple folders are only 197 bytes each, occupying 1MB of disk space each.  The .ReadyDLNA may be normal.  I would not know.  All 3 were hidden.

So ... what are the Apple items?  Where did they come from so recently?  Should I maintain them or delete them??  Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: .APPLE???

If you've recently plugged it into the router it may have been created to ensure its accessible via ReadyShare on Mac or Windows.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Cannot see the images until they have been moderated, could you add them as an attachment instead please?
Message 2 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

Thank you for the reply.  Here is the attachment  .... I hope.

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah I see. I believe this is because the drive is compatible with both Mac and Windows but require different files in order to work properly. Reason they're hidden is so you don't delete them and then essentially remove compatibility with Mac or Windows. It's nothing to worry about.
Message 4 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

I thiink that is a great answer ... makes sense.  I have some programs which scan filenames/folders, .. even hidden ones.  I run them often and until the last couple of days, did not notice these files/folders in those scans.  So, I unhid them to investigate.  Also, the creation date is pretty new.  While your answer makes a lot of sense, ... just wondering if we are right.  Why would they so suddenly present?

Thank you again.  Maybe someone else can explain.

Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you've recently plugged it into the router it may have been created to ensure its accessible via ReadyShare on Mac or Windows.
Message 6 of 7
WacoJohn
Luminary

Gonna go with that.  I had not recently plugged in the drive when I first saw these folders.  Maybe Duma updates itself(??)  When I checked for updates there were none.

In any case ... it's my job to worry ...[ : >)  Thank you for the time.  Going to mark you Best Answer right after I post this.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7