× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point vs WiFi Range Extender

Access Point vs WiFi Range Extender

Hello Netgear family!

I had a very basic question. I'm currently in the processing of calling my ISP and converting my Netgear XR500 into the main router and getting rid of the older router (D-Link DIR-825) provided by my ISP. Once this is done, I plan on purchasing the Netgear EX6200 | AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender.

From what I read, the EX6200 supports Access Point (AP) Mode. I just wanted to clarify that if I make it an Access Point, will it carry forward the same SSID (eg. NETGEAR01) or will it make an extension SSID (NETGEAR01_EXT)? I would ideally want it to carry forward the same SSID. Is this what an access point does?

Also; Can I connect another EX6200 to the EX6200? Can I connect an Access Point to another Access Point? Will this pose any problems?

Thanks for all the help! 🙂

Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Access Point vs WiFi Range Extender

A wifi extender would certainly use the same SSID, as for an access point, I think it would be up to you to set the SSID.

I don't know if it would seamlessly transfer you from one network to another even if you had the same SSID. It might require a mesh network for a truly seamless experience. Perhaps the NETGEAR EX7700?

Message 2 of 5

Hi @Netduma_Alex! Thanks for the prompt response! 🙂

I am looking to make the WiFi accessible throughout the entire house (8 bedroom, 10,000 sqft.). If I set up multiple routers, I'd have too many SSIDs to manage which will make managing security a pain.

A wifi extender would certainly use the same SSID, as for an access point, I think it would be up to you to set the SSID.

Okay so let's say my original SSID is "NETGEAR01" and password is "123456",  If I set up a wifi extender like the Netgear EX6200, the SSID of the range extender will also be "NETGEAR01" and the password will be the "123456"? Also, will my device automatically move to the next one if the original one isn't available?

I don't know if it would seamlessly transfer you from one network to another even if you had the same SSID. It might require a mesh network for a truly seamless experience. Perhaps the NETGEAR EX7700?

Sadly, the Netgear EX7700 isn't available in India and the only seller selling it on Amazon has listed it for $362 USD which is way too expensive if I need to set up multiple. The EX6200 on the other hand is selling at a discounted price of $43 USD. The Netgear EX6110 AC1200 WiFi Range Extender is also selling for around $40 USD. Will this work better for my purpose?

Also if I do get the EX6200 or the EX6110, can I connect another range extender to it?

Thanks!

Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Shaan,

The basic EX6xxx might not support what Netgear is designating Mesh WiFI Extenders - internally nicked "single SSID code" - what does allow to set all radios on a device (router, access point, extender, ...) to the same SSID (network name) and at least implements 802.11r.

For your project, I strongly suggest to look into ways to bring some Ethernet wiring (minimum CAT5A, better CAT6A, ideally CAT7 or better - the crux is the better the thicker, so harder to install in existing tubing), in a spoke and hub (star) layout.

On the central position, install a PoE+ switch, and out in the rooms, or ever other room, ... put up some wireless access points.

Netgear has nice offerings with the Netgear Insight devices (switches, WAC), the cloud based management platform, the entry level WAC505 are very affordable in sets of three/five/(ten?) and offer a much better management and user experience than Netgear consumer devices. Where you have a large number of wireless clients, you might consider to put a WAC540 (similar price tag to an EX7700, but ideally covered with a LAG/aggregation of two GbE Ethernet links).

There might be some Netgear resellers or system integrators in your area offering Netgear Insight as a managed service, too.

Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Perhaps you could use some ethernet through mains adapters to spread your connection out.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7