× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access point

Wyzfar
Aspirant

Access point

Hello I am wondering if it’s possible to use my netduma xr500 as a access point where it’s not connected through WiFi and have it be connected via Ethernet to my modem/router combo and still have the netduma/xr500 capability’s like QoS traffic prioritize etc.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Access point

@Wyzfar wrote:
Hello I am wondering if it’s possible to use my netduma xr500 as a access point where it’s not connected through WiFi and have it be connected via Ethernet to my modem/router combo and still have the netduma/xr500 capability’s like QoS traffic prioritize etc.

A bit confused by this. You want to use it as an access point where its NOT connected through wifi? Or not connected to devices over wifi? But you also want to run your modem/router?

the xr500 has the capability to be used as an AP but if you put it in that mode you lose the routing functionality like QoS. 

Why not put your modem/router device into modem only mode or passthrough and just use the xr500? 

A little more clarity in what you're trying to accomplish would help with advice. It would also help if we knew what your modem/router is. 

Message 2 of 5
Wyzfar
Aspirant

Ok so scratch last question. I understand why it would be confusing I put some thought into it, I can put my modem in bridge mode yes I have a new question though would it also be better to use my modems Mac Address I have read about how sometimes bridge mode modem mode etc isn’t actually true modem mode so they use there modems MAC address
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Well you haven't said what your modern is so rough to tell. Best advice is if it's supplied by your ISP to contact them and have them help you put it in correct mode for using your xr500 as router
Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you have a working Internet connection through your XR500 when the modem's in bridge/modem mode, then I wouldn't go configuring anything else e.g. trying MAC cloning. Might end up doing more harm than good!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7