× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After Fireware Update XR500 Drops Internet When Re-started

Rocketboy
Aspirant

After Fireware Update XR500 Drops Internet When Re-started

I have Spectrum for my internet and use a CM600 modem with a XR500 router. I recently updated the firmware for my XR500 to version 2.3.2.40.  About once a week I turn the modem and router off for a couple of minutes and then power them back up.  I turn the modem back on first and wait until I have all green lights, then I turn on the router.  I've been doing this since I bought this modem last year with no issues.  Now, after updating the router firmware, when I go through my "re-start" procedures I have no internet (orange flashing internet light on router).  Spectrum has double checked everything on their end and all is good and this just started after the firmware update.  I also confirmed the modem firmware is up to date.  Through A LOT of troubleshooting I found a temporary work around, but I need to find a permanent solution.  If I restart the modem first and then the router I get the same result everytime.  But once there, if I leave the router on and re-start just the modem, the orange internet light on the router will change back to white and I have internet again.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on the XR router after applying v40? 

Try reverting back to v32 FW as well...

@Rocketboy wrote:

I have Spectrum for my internet and use a CM600 modem with a XR500 router. I recently updated the firmware for my XR500 to version 2.3.2.40.  About once a week I turn the modem and router off for a couple of minutes and then power them back up.  I turn the modem back on first and wait until I have all green lights, then I turn on the router.  I've been doing this since I bought this modem last year with no issues.  Now, after updating the router firmware, when I go through my "re-start" procedures I have no internet (orange flashing internet light on router).  Spectrum has double checked everything on their end and all is good and this just started after the firmware update.  I also confirmed the modem firmware is up to date.  Through A LOT of troubleshooting I found a temporary work around, but I need to find a permanent solution.  If I restart the modem first and then the router I get the same result everytime.  But once there, if I leave the router on and re-start just the modem, the orange internet light on the router will change back to white and I have internet again.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Message 2 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the XR500 in Internet Setup is it setup dynamically or static? If you switch it to static and apply does it regain the connection after restarting modem then router?
Message 3 of 5
Rocketboy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I have not done a factory reset.  I just installed the firmware update. Once I noticed the issue I reached out to Spectrum to see if everything was good on their end.  I made sure the modem firmware was up to date, which it was, and then posted here to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.  I'm not sure I was running v32.  I don't think the firmware had been updated since I bought the router, but I hadn't had ANY problems before now.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time you try v40 or next FW update, do a factory reset after the file is applied and setup from scratch to see if problems continue or not. 

@Rocketboy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I have not done a factory reset.  I just installed the firmware update. Once I noticed the issue I reached out to Spectrum to see if everything was good on their end.  I made sure the modem firmware was up to date, which it was, and then posted here to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.  I'm not sure I was running v32.  I don't think the firmware had been updated since I bought the router, but I hadn't had ANY problems before now.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7