× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alexa's speech before rebooting

PieCaptain
Guide

Alexa's speech before rebooting

When asking Alexa to "ask netgear to reboot the router"
As many XR500 owners will know, rebooting is a daily activity, and it's nice to be able to wake up, yawn and stretch and get alexa to restart the router before my eyes can even begin to focus on facebook..

but...

Is there anyway to make it so we can just say "Alexa, reboot the router" and then for her to do it without stating the obvious about losing internet connectivity?

Thanks!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Alexa's speech before rebooting

I didn't realize you could do this. I assume it's a NETGEAR Alexa skill?

Message 2 of 9
PieCaptain
Guide

Yeah you say "Alexa, ask Netgear to restart the router"

Her confirmation speech is long, I just wanted to make it shorter.

#FistWorldProblems
Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Don't believe there is a way to do this unfortunately but very cool functionality!
Message 4 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The way I understand it (bear in mind I don't work for Amazon) is that skills need to be specifically called upon by "asking" them things because otherwise the request is processed by the core Alexa services rather than the skill. This is something that you'd have to ask Amazon about rather than Netgear because I don't think Netgear can change it.

Message 5 of 9
PieCaptain
Guide

I'll see what amazon say, it's only really an issue at the moment because i have to reboot the xr500 at least once a day (because of the ethernet port issue)

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've posted about the ethernet issue in the other topic you've posted in but have you already tried the hotfix firmware & other workarounds?
Message 7 of 9
PieCaptain
Guide

I only learned about the hotfix today so have applied that. No other work arounds seem to work.

Sometimes I'll lose connectivity through the LAN ports while I'm actively using those connections
Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us updated on if the hotfix works.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7