× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Am I supposed to turn off Traffic Prioritization if I have forwarded my ports?

rolly1180
Aspirant

Am I supposed to turn off Traffic Prioritization if I have forwarded my ports?

Hi all, 

So I went ahead and did port forwarding for the game I play (CoD WW2 on console).

I'm just curious if by doing that, am I also supposed to turn off the Traffic Prioritization in the QoS?

Also out of curiosity, is there a tutorial on how to do the Advanced Traffic Prioritization Selector?  How do enter the source ports and destination ports.  And how is that different from port forwarding?

Apologies for these noob questions.  Just curious here.

Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Am I supposed to turn off Traffic Prioritization if I have forwarded my ports?

The two features are independent of each other, so you can use both at the same time. If you want to use the advanced method then leave the source ports default (1-65535) and then just put in the destination ports - the same ones you used for port forwarding.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Rick6922
Luminary

Re: Am I supposed to turn off Traffic Prioritization if I have forwarded my ports?

if you live alone and your the only one on your internet you dont need traffic prio.  if not you want your gaming traffic [ packets] to go first and not stuck in queue. to put ports in traffic prioritization, click on add device,  then a window will open with a list of your devices. click the device you want to add. then another window will open, click advanced and you can add port numbers. the tricky part with this is knowing what ports to prioritize because they can change ingame  and after each game. if your the only one in your house playing games just check DumaOS classified games instead and that should cover most games,  if you have a big household like me and want to make sure only your console is being prioitized make sure the red light only come on when your console is on and it goes off when you turn your console off.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The two features are independent of each other, so you can use both at the same time. If you want to use the advanced method then leave the source ports default (1-65535) and then just put in the destination ports - the same ones you used for port forwarding.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7