× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anti-bufferbloat, speed test, and "When High Priority Traffic Detected"

jmock
Tutor

Anti-bufferbloat, speed test, and "When High Priority Traffic Detected"

Hi,

I just bought my XR500 yesterday and set it up last night. I have anti-bufferbloat set to "When High Priority Traffic Detected" and the sliders each at 70% as recommended in the dashboard help and in other posts I've found here.

My normal speeds are around 60mb down and 5-6mb up. With the sliders set to 70%, it shows 42mb down and around 4mb up. When I run a speed test from my non-console devices--I've tried from a laptop, iPad, and iPhone--the test results show the speeds at almost exactly what the dashboard is showing they would be with bufferbloat enabled (the 42mb down and 4mb up), so it appears it's kicking in even when there is no high priority traffic. Shouldn't it only apply when I'm gaming when set to auto-detect? Maybe I'm confused about how it's supposed to work.

FWIW, I'm running the latest firmware.

Thanks,

- Jim

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jim, you have the correct understanding. However, there must be something being prioritized. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see if the red LED for detected traffic is there. If not do a speed test right then, still lower speeds?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jim, you have the correct understanding. However, there must be something being prioritized. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see if the red LED for detected traffic is there. If not do a speed test right then, still lower speeds?
Message 2 of 3
jmock
Tutor

Hey Fraser,

So this is weird. What you suggested is what I did last night, but I just ran the speedtest again and the detected traffic light didn't light up and the speeds were what they should be, so I dunno what happened but it seems to be fine now ¯\_()_/¯

Thanks for your quick response!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7