× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple TV 4th Generation - Popcorn Time

cplum75
Aspirant

Apple TV 4th Generation - Popcorn Time

I had this cheap Verizon Fios router but I wanted to have more control over my network so I purchased the xr500. I was using popcorn time with no problem on my apple tv 4. I hooked up the xr500....and it's been downhill. The popcorn time apps opens, it shows all the options of movies/tv shows, and it will allow you to watch the trailer. As soon as you pick the actual movie or TV show, there are no seeds and it just spins and nothing streams or downloads. I disconneted the router and plugged the Verizon Fios router up and it worked, I then tested an old router that I had laying around the house and it worked. I went back to plug in the xr500 and it wouldn't connect again. I have no idea of what to do. I really need assistance. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Apple TV 4th Generation - Popcorn Time

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 8
cplum75
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I am a newbie here and a novice when it comes to configurations of routers. I don't use a modem, I literally have a cat 5 coming into my condo from a rack in the basement that goes directly into my router. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Was checking to see if you had a router infront of the XR router. 

You check with the Mfr of Popcorn to see if there is any secific router configurations needed for use with there device. 

Are the two devices connected via wireless or wired? Wired would be perferred. 

Message 4 of 8
cplum75
Aspirant

Hi,

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. Popcorn time is a sideloaded app to watch movies and tv shows on the Apple TV device for streaming. My Apple TV is hardwired to the router. I figure that being I don’t Kherson popcorn time servers are, maybe it’s outside of the two filter and the traffic is being blocked. Is there anyway to disable the geofilter so I can make it a standardized router or not so restrictive to inbound connections outside of gaming?
Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Delete any devices that have been added on the Geo-Filter page and it won't affect it. I would also suggest disabling QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloats options and see if that resolves your issue
Message 6 of 8
cplum75
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for your response. I just tried that and the problem withbstreaming persist. I tried my old isp router and just a spare router thatvwas laying around. When I plug the nighhawk back up, it just spins when you select the movie.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Random idea - could you try enabling your Guest Network >Settings >Setup >Guest Network

Then try connecting your TV to that Guest Network. Does that then solve the problem?

This workaround has fixed WiFi issues for other people with smart devices, so might work here.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7