× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple devices stop working on my Netgear 5hz WiFi network

shanafan
Apprentice

Apple devices stop working on my Netgear 5hz WiFi network

This same problem is happening with my brand new XR500, as it did with my old R7000, and only affects Apple devices in my household - iPhone X, iPhone 8 and Apple TV 4K.

Basically, when I set up both my XR500 as I did with my old R7000, I have no "custom settings". I renamed the WiFi, gave it a unique password, and that's pretty much it. No port forwarding, no static routes, etc.

I will connect the Apple devices to the 5hz network, but in about day's time, the devices will stop getting data while on the network's 5hz connection - 2.4hz connection would still work. On my PC and consoles, the 5hz connection works, but just not on my Apple devices. I would have to delete the WiFi connection on the iPhone, restart the iPhone, reset network settings, and then connect back to the 5hz connection and it would work again.

I did some reading on this forum, and one poster said enabling the IPv6 to auto-detect on my router would fix that. Well, I did that tonight and we'll see tomorrow how the results go. In the meantime however, anyone have any other ideas? Why are my Apple devices losing the connection to my 5hz network?

Thanks!

Router: Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 Router

Firmware: XR500 V2.3.2.40

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
shanafan
Apprentice

Just thought I would provide an update, and give thanks for all the assistance.

I unplugged the Comcast router for my home security since June, and haven't had any network issues. So, that was definitely the culprit.

I finally had Comcast come out to investigate the issue. The tech was very helpful, and decided the simple solution was to replace their router. So, I have a new router from Comcast for my home security, wired to my XR500. It has been plugged in since Sunday, and no network issues so far. So, seems like the original router from Comcast was defective!

All is good!

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 33

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

No more ideas off the top of my head but let us know if enabling IPv6 helps because that would be useful to know for future reference.

Message 2 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

If changing IPv6 doesn't resolve this for you, can try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307. Change preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 3 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Didn't work when I got home. Going to try the poster's below ideas. Thanks for the help though!

Message 4 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Thanks! Going to try this..

However, I don't see the setting where I can change the coexistence. I can disable it, but I can't set it to 40mhz only (Even when I did disable it, a setting didn't appear because I disabled it)

Message 5 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Disabling it will set it for 40Mhz. 

Message 6 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Ok, thanks!

Just curious - I do connect to my work's WiFi when I am at work. Do you think that WiFi connection at work could "mess up" my phone in any way so when I come home, my phone can't pull any data from my 5ghz network?

Just trying to think what happens when I leave my house in the morning it works, but when I get home from work, it doesn't work anymore.

Message 7 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

No it shouldn't. I have seen some odd behavior with various iOS versions and people having issues on iPhones. I'm hot having any issues with my 6sP iOS 12.2, and my XR450 and I'm using mostly default settings as well. Smart Connect enabled, 160Mhz, beamforoming and MIMO enabled. Guest Network and Fast Roaming disabled. I am using manual channels for each radio though. 

Buddy of mine said his wifes iphone was working at work, however at home it would not connect to the wifi. Come to find out the iphone was going bad. Smiley Frustrated Thus it was replaced with a iPhone Xs.

Message 8 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Well, WiFi worked when I got home. Will keep an eye on it for awhile of course. Thanks for the tips!

Message 9 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us posted, glad to hear it's working!
Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Well, WiFi issues persist. Only on my Apple devices. Had to delete the WiFi connection, reboot my phone and readd it.

Two Netgear routers, different models with the same issues. Not sure what my next step would be at this point than go with a different brand.
Message 12 of 33
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Very strange... Have you tried using a Wifi analyzer to see if any of the Wifi channels around your house are particularly busy? Perhaps there's some interference happening.

It might also be a problem to do with the switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. Perhaps the two need to be separate in order to work reliably with Apple devices?

Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

If two different model NG routers are exhibiting the same issue with Apple devices, it's possible that the Apple devices maybe the problem and not the routers. We've seen various issues with Apple devices and problems with in iOS before. 

You have configured this on the router? 

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Is Smart Connect enabled or disabled currently? 

@shanafan wrote:
Well, WiFi issues persist. Only on my Apple devices. Had to delete the WiFi connection, reboot my phone and readd it.

Two Netgear routers, different models with the same issues. Not sure what my next step would be at this point than go with a different brand.

Message 14 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Thanks for the tips.

I did enable Smart Connect, but after I turned that on, my Windows PC had a lot of trouble trying to connect. I reset the network settings, unplugged and replugged in my WiFi adapter, etc. It went connect to the router, but I was getting no data on my PC. Eventually, it obtained a connection that brought data along with it.

However, after turning on Smart Connect, my phone lost it's data connection within the hour. I had to delete the WiFi, reboot, and then reconnect.

I also did the recommendation of "Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307".

It would be easy to guess maybe the router is defective, but it is exhibiting the same issues as my R7000.

I could look into a WiFi analyzer to see if there is any interference. I live in a house with space around my house away from neighbors, so not much interference from them I would assume.

Message 15 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are there any wireless devices within ~3ft of the router? This could be any wireless device such as headphones or even ISP hub with WiFi enabled for example. If so move those away and see if that helps at all.
Message 16 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

That's a great question.

I do have a wired connection to another router that Comcast supplied for our home security. It is a small 4 port Netgear router that I have connected to my XR500.

Message 17 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you updated the iOS as well? I see v12.3.1 is available for iphone and on a iPad I use. 

Message 18 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

I'm on 12.3.1 Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of this NG router? 

@shanafan wrote:

That's a great question.

I do have a wired connection to another router that Comcast supplied for our home security. It is a small 4 port Netgear router that I have connected to my XR500.

Message 20 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try disabling the WiFi on that other router and see if that improves it at all.
Message 21 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

The router supplied by Comcast for my home security is a Netgear Wireless N WNR1000 V2.

I’m going to disconnect it, and reboot my XR500 router to see what happens. When I got home, my PC is connected to WiFi, but I am receiving no data. Phone works though.. 🤷‍♂️
Message 22 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Followup..

Like I said, got home and my Windows desktop was on the WiFi, but I didn't have any data (no webpages loaded, etc)

I disconnected the Comcast ISP router's power, and rebooted my XR500 - PC came online with data and everything.

Now the question is.. how can these two routers live in the same environment if that is utlimately the issue?

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the older NG router being used for? 

Preferred configuration is to have the XR router be the main wifi source. If you need any additional wifi coverage then you can add on EX model extenders for that. 

The older NG router is limted in speed and connection, 150Mb max on N mode which at the time was draft N for this model. The LAN ports are limited to 100Mb as well. This would be a bottle next in the system since newer routers support 1000Mb on the wire. The older wifi router would also be not as secure as the XR router and would not have most up to date security benefits and support. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 24 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you disable the Comcast router WiFi/put it in modem mode/XR500 in DMZ then have everything connected to the XR500 that will be the best setup.
Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7