× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple devices stop working on my Netgear 5hz WiFi network

shanafan
Apprentice

Re: Apple devices stop working on my Netgear 5hz WiFi network

The Comcast WNR1000 router is for my home security system as backup communication I believe. There is also a cellular connection for the system, which is still connected. See attached screenshot.

I tried connecting the WNR1000 directly to my laptop, but the usual 192.168.1.1 and www.routerlogin.net yield no successful connections.

So, I wonder if I really need it when I have a cellular connection, also can only imagine how outdated its firmware is, too.

.Photo Jun 05, 9 44 24 PM.jpg

Message 26 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

With the Comcast router disconnected, my home security works but I can’t arm the system from my phone anymore.

If interference from being in close proximity to my XR500, what if I got a range extender with an Ethernet port and place the Comcast router somewhere else in my house?

NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700 - Coverage up to 600 sq.ft. and 10 devices with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (up to 300Mbps speed), and Compact Wall Plug Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Jho-CbEMYJPWW

The Comcast router is just a router, has no modem capabilities.
Message 27 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah you wouldn't be able to access the XR500 when connected directly to the Comcast with those details so that makes sense. That could work, might actually be better to use powerline adapter/range extender and place the XR500 further away from it. Do keep in mind that it mind not be the issue just a theory at the moment so don't want you to buy something with the belief that it'll 100% resolve the issue. If it's a router then you should be able to put the XR500 in its DMZ and that will be better.
Message 28 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Update..

Netgear WiFi Range Extender installed, and Comcast router for home security is on the network. Home security itself is now in 100% working order since it's back on WiFi.

Now, it's a waiting game to see if my XR500 and Comcast router (WNR1000) can play friendly together.. I have them on opposite sides of the house now, not the before 3 feet apart!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in this thread. Really was pulling hairs in the beginning!

Message 29 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

..... the bottleneck strikes again.

Since turning on the Comcast WNR1000 router, and having it on my network (physically far away from my XR500), my Xbox One X couldn't receive data and when I woke up this morning, my iPhone X couldn't do the same. Turned off the Comcast router, and boom, like magic everything back to normal.

So, what are my options you think? I can't get into the UI of the WNR1000. I don't believe it is broadcasting a wireless signal though.

Thanks everyone for all of the support so far!

Message 30 of 33
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I wonder if the IP address of the Comcast router is colliding with the IP of the XR500? Have you tried changing the XR500's IP and it's DHCP pool?

Message 31 of 33
shanafan
Apprentice

Just thought I would provide an update, and give thanks for all the assistance.

I unplugged the Comcast router for my home security since June, and haven't had any network issues. So, that was definitely the culprit.

I finally had Comcast come out to investigate the issue. The tech was very helpful, and decided the simple solution was to replace their router. So, I have a new router from Comcast for my home security, wired to my XR500. It has been plugged in since Sunday, and no network issues so far. So, seems like the original router from Comcast was defective!

All is good!

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they got it working. Mark your post as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7