× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Assigning a static IP address to home devices

xlr8r
Guide

Assigning a static IP address to home devices

hi folks, this is my first post.

i havent received my XR500 just as yet (as i live in the UK - but is due 1st March via Amazon pre-order).

I have watched a few youtube videos yet Im still not sure exactly where in the OS i enter static IP addresses for quite a few home devices I need to add. From what i seen, the router picks up devices automatically and assigns them Ip addresses via DHCP ? thats not what I want it to do for certain devices.

Can someone please advise where I do this .

i want to assign Static IP's presumably with their MAC addresses ?

I'm formally an R7000 user running DD-WRT firmware, so this is a huge leap to a different OS.

many thanks.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No benefit I can see, I'd just let DHCP handle the rest of the devices that you don't care about giving a static IP to.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi xlr8r, great to hear you're getting the XR500. You can set this in Settings > LAN Setup, then click Add under Address reservation. Then you can select the devices you want and give them a static IP. I've included a screenshot >

Message 2 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

aha! perfect thanks.

so, effectively I would need to keep all my home devices DISCONNECTED first, assign the static IP's and then turn everything on to get assigned correctly ? 

thanks 

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You need to connect them first. Then set the IPs, the devices will reconnect once you apply and then should have the new IP you have set.
Message 4 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

excellent!

moving from the R7000 dd-wrt, i currently have my static ip ranges setup "outside" the DHCP range, On the XR500 is there any benefit to doing things that way ? or should I just let the router do its thing if i set the dhcp range to the full 254 available ?

Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No benefit I can see, I'd just let DHCP handle the rest of the devices that you don't care about giving a static IP to.
Message 6 of 7
xlr8r
Guide

brilliant many thanks

...i still cant remember why i did it that way in te first place .... ?

many thanks for your help !

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7