× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Asus rt66 to xr700 upgrade- what to expect

Asus rt66 to xr700 upgrade- what to expect

Upgrading from an older asus rt66n router. What to expect and the transition.

Im expecting alot of difference and reading alot about the nighthawk. We plan on streaming movies along with game play, in some instances simoultaneous up and down scenarios.

We also have a surveillance system (cctv) that may be accessed occasionally through port forwarding.

What is to be expected by this upgrade?
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 25

The modem is supplied by the ISP, no known config is available by end user.

All utility mods will be accomplished onsite by end user.
Message 3 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I work from Netduma, so I can help answer any questions you have about DumaOS, our router operating system that runs on the Nighthawk XR500 and XR700.

But first of all, I recommend you go to this webpage to learn more about our features. It will only take 1-2 minutes to read:  https://netduma.com/features/

We also have a massive roadmap of new features coming out, so it'll only improve your router!

Message 4 of 25

Im a little skeptical about having shelled out 500 bucks for a router. I consider it the quiessential device that allows for all data exchanges for our home network. We needed an upgrade but such a leap of faith?

Our current device is the Asus rt66n. It has worked well for years. Replacing it is not mandatory but more of an enhancement.

I read a bunch of the reviews on Amazon but then realized most were for the XR500. Of the 258 reviews written, only 7 were for the XR700.

Message 5 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR700 is still a very new product to the market although the software on Netgear routers has been going since closer to the beginning of the year. The hardware is beastly and the software be fantastic for ensuring no local congestion and ensuring the best possible game experience. We're confident you'll love it!
Message 6 of 25

Thanks for replying to the previous message.

So far as I experience more and more, i have discovered that during game play, i get occasional network disconnected notifications with a lag. The the system recovers and I move on. Some say, downgrading to the previous firmware resolves this issue. I did contact netgear support and they recommended a system reboot to finalize the update. Completed that with little or no improvement.

The 2nd issue Is the Plexis server being a subscription service. Or paying 4.99 for the ios app to be able to stream to my phone. I need plex for my TV too, wonder how much is that gonna cost after spending 500 for a router....
Message 7 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

So do you own the router now then? It may be worth downgrading back to the launch firmware for now if you're having stability issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060213/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-20

There should hopefully be a new firmware soon as it's going through testing. 

As for your Plex questions, I didn't know the answer so I found this response about the R9000 Plex service which I believe is very similar to what is offered on the XR700:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-X10-Plex-questions-Plex-Pass-subscript...

Finally, the XR500 is a really good router too, so have you thought about getting this instead?

Message 8 of 25

Yes. I just got the router from amazon on monday. I seen dramatic increases maximizing the download capabilities provided by my ISP.

Most of the capabilities are repeats from older routers except for the netdumaos. I also found that limiting your geo preferences can extensively delay or even prevent finding a lobby.

None of these are to be critical of a new release. Just observations of current issues being experienced.
Message 9 of 25

downgraded back to the previous firmware version. it ran well for awhile then suddenly got the interruption signal onscreen. that lasted about 30-45 sec then got booted from the game. (CODBO4).

Dont you guys evaluate the firmware for issues before releasing or just post it and hope for the best?

So far I like the router except for these dropoffs.

Message 10 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Treyarch have been making a lot of changes to their servers so this is a possible reason this is happening. Could you do this please:

1. Go to your Geo-Filter
  2. Open the Geo-Filter Map Options (click the three horizontal lines in the top left of the panel)
  3. Click 'Flush Cloud'
  4. Wait about 30 seconds - 1 minute for the Flush to complete. Don't worry if it takes longer than this, just be patient
  5. Once complete, make sure you're happy with your other Geo-Filter settings e.g. home location, radius, Ping Assist on the R1 etc.
  6. Now restart Black Ops 4
  7. Now try and play some games and let us know if your experience changes.

Also - if you ever have another disconnect could you go to the Geo-Filter page. Does an error message appear there?

Message 11 of 25

Too late boys. I was on the amazon website and thought I would talk to tech support on the issue. I also tried tech support at netgear. Support at netgear was a bit of a runaround. So TS at Amazon said this has been a frequent issue with this router. So, I sent it back. Im currently researching a replacement. I liked the plex media server and so im considering the xr500. But right now I have the ild asus rt66 installed.

Without bias, is there any significant difference between the xr500 and xr700 and is the 500 anymore reliable/stable?
Message 12 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that. They both run the same software although the XR500 has been available for longer so it's had more updates. Cloud and firmware upgrades will make both better as time progresses as with all software based products. The XR700 hardware is more powerful than the XR500 but it's dependent on your needs which would be better for you.
Message 13 of 25

I dont have alot of time to troubleshoot a high end router everyday. Has the xr500 been determined to be hassle free without disconnect errors or drops?
Message 14 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Theres a separate issue to do with disconnects caused by consoles in Instant On mode which is being looked into. If the console isn't in this mode then its fine.
Message 15 of 25

When you say the console, you referring to the router or the gaming platform?
Message 16 of 25
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Referring to an Xbox One. There's a known issue where an Xbox One in Instant On Mode can cause LAN disconnects. The workaround here isto just disable that mode on your Xbox

Message 17 of 25

No disrespect intended. But I dont have alot of time to sit and respond to endless “community” comments. Where is tech support? Why must I send a reciept to confirm a purchase? This is my first purchase of a netgear product. Right now, Im not impressed overall. On paper, im reading alot of great product details but when you turn the switch on its all hype.

For example, using geo filter: set radius to 1500 miles. Couldnt even find a lobby on COD BO4 blackout. It just sat and searched. Had to turn it off to play the game. So thats 1 feature that didnt work.
2. Connectivity issues are being reported across the country. Not ISP issues. Hardware issues. So netgear released a product knowing it was flawed.

Lots of features but not fully operationally ready for distribution seems to be the word in the market from all the reviews ive read.

I tell ya what, if theres anybody at netgear who wants to take the time to discuss what I need and can offer a reliable product that doesnt flat on its ass out of the box, i would sure like to talk to them.
Message 18 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is a community forum where users help out each other. Representing Netduma we help as well but if you want to contact Netgear official support you need to do so from here: http://support.netgear.com/

Flush the cloud and you should be able to find a game. Theres no hardware issues, just the issue we mentioned above. We're happy to help if you're having issues otherwise recommend you contact Netgear support.
Message 19 of 25

Yes and I see collarboration from Netgear reps on threads in the community forum.
Message 20 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They do not post as often so I would not expect them to respond, if you want official Netgear support you'd need to create a ticket with them/call.
Message 21 of 25
Roadrunner79
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
They do not post as often so I would not expect them to respond, if you want official Netgear support you'd need to create a ticket with them/call.

That's pretty sad actually. Netduma workers wave the the dumaOS flag more than netgear waves there own....

In all honesty if you can return it do it. The XR500 hss been available for almost a year now and it still has growing pains. I am on mymsecsec XR500 as i returned the first. I had hopes things would change but I'm tired of reading about road maps and future plans. Technology moves fast. Something elel will come along sooner or later. 

Message 22 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Once the next update is out I think you'll be much happier with the progress that has been made and then hopefully updates will be a bit faster after that point.
Message 23 of 25

I returned the xr700 router. I bought the x10. It performs just fine. Just doesn’t have dumaOS.

Netgear released a product prematurely. Obviously a profit driven decision.
Message 24 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, we hope you'll come back in the future!
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7