× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ax8 vs XR500

siege014
Follower

Ax8 vs XR500

Hello,

Brand new to the board.  Recently bought a house and plan on choosing Spectrum internet service.  I have 3 options, 100 Mbps, 400, or 900.  I think I'm going to start with the 400.  I bought a Netgear modem (CM700 I think) and the Nighthawk XR500.  I'm not using them yet, just sitting in a box until I move in.

I will be living alone for the most part and won't have a ton of devices.  I plan on connecting my xbox and not playing over WiFi.  Am I all set to stick with the XR500 or should I upgrade to the AX8?  I think at most, I'll have about 8-10 devices connected to the WiFi, but I'll be streaming most of my content, YouTube TV, HBO, Amazon, etc.

The only thing I really care about is not lagging when playing online games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.  What's my best option for the smoothest connection?

Any info helps.  Thanks

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ax8 vs XR500

IF you have any devices that support the AX wifi mode, then you may consider the RAX. If not, The XR router will be fine. You can always add AX wifi later on. 

If you live alone and the only one online gaming. Most any router non XR or XR router will be fine. LAG can come from other devices or users being online at the same time when you game. If your the only one online and gaming. The XR will work, however maybe a bit over kill to some degree. 

@siege014 wrote:

Hello,

Brand new to the board.  Recently bought a house and plan on choosing Spectrum internet service.  I have 3 options, 100 Mbps, 400, or 900.  I think I'm going to start with the 400.  I bought a Netgear modem (CM700 I think) and the Nighthawk XR500.  I'm not using them yet, just sitting in a box until I move in.

I will be living alone for the most part and won't have a ton of devices.  I plan on connecting my xbox and not playing over WiFi.  Am I all set to stick with the XR500 or should I upgrade to the AX8?  I think at most, I'll have about 8-10 devices connected to the WiFi, but I'll be streaming most of my content, YouTube TV, HBO, Amazon, etc.

The only thing I really care about is not lagging when playing online games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.  What's my best option for the smoothest connection?

Any info helps.  Thanks

Message 2 of 3
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Ax8 vs XR500

Streaming is usually fine over WiFi, even if it's not AX. The real concern for gaming is the balancing of devices on your local network, which DumaOS is designed to handle. As long as your console is connected through ethernet, the wifi on the XR500 should be sufficient to handle the other devices.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7