× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Optimization with the XR500

bacevedo
Community Manager

Best Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Optimization with the XR500

screen-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-reveal-trailer-1-920x518.jpg

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

Hey Nighthawks,

It's finally here! Black Ops 4 and the NPG team has a few tips and tricks to get the best possible ping and help get you the highest K/D ratio and log some Blackout wins:

Using your Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router:

The further a server is from your home, the slower the game will play. It’s just like real life; the further you must travel, the longer it takes to make that trip. Same for your game traffic.

1. Add your console or PC to the Geo-Filter (if PC, change your PC device type to a console in the Device Manager first)
  2. Set your Geo-Filter to 'Filtering Mode'

1. Make sure Auto-Ping Host is enabled in the Geo-Filter Map Option
  2. Set the Geo-Filter distance to the closest server near you. For reference, see the image below for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Server locations.

Now search for your favorite gametype, whether it be Blackout, Multiplayer or Zombies. The Geo-Filter will guarantee a nearby server and an amazing ping.

BO4_Servers_1.png

Get your hardware setup right

Making sure your hardware is capable of running Black Ops 4 is crucial to a smooth gaming experience.

Console gamers: delete unneeded games/applications from your hard drive to free up space. On Xbox One if you’re experiencing occasional stuttering then clearing your local saved games can  also help.

PCgamers:Keep your FPS high by ensuring your hardware meets these requirements:

Minimum specs

• CPU: Intel Core i3-4340/ AMD FX-6300
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 2GB/ G3Force GTX 1050 2GB or Radeon HD 7950 2GB

Recommended specs

• CPU: Intel i5-2500k/ Ryzen R5 1600X
  • RAM: 12 GB
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 4GB/ GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon R9 390/ AMD RX 580

High refresh/competitive specs at 1080p

(This is the recommended setup for players using high refresh rate monitors at 1080p)

• CPU: Intel i7-8700K/ AMD Ryzen 1800X
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1080 or Radeon RX Vega 64 Graphics

4K Ultra specs (This is the top-tier setup for players using 4k monitors looking for the smoothest frame rates)

• CPU: i7-8700K/ AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1080Ti

Prioritize your console or PC

The last thing you want when chasing that win is someone in your home hogging all the bandwidth with videos or other traffic and causing your game to lag.

A Nighthawk Pro Gaming router has the world’s best QoS to completely solve this problem. Here’s how:

1. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% for both Download and Upload and set the mode to ‘When High Priority Traffic Detected’
  2. In Bandwidth Allocation give extra bandwidth to your gaming device
  3. Make sure ‘DumaOS Classified Games’ is checked in Traffic Prioritization

Now everyone in your home can download and upload whatever they want without affecting your gaming because your router is always prioritizing Black Ops 4.

Wired vs Wireless

Whenever possible, try to play wired. This is true for both your network connection and your controllers, mice & keyboards.

Good luck chasing those Killstreaks and Blackout Victories. See you in the game.

ZarduBen

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

I have an xr500 and seems like so many issues with bo4. One game will be playing on dedicated server with 20 ms ping. Next game the server not shown on map and I'm playing on peer with 120 ms ping. But the peer I'm playing on is not shown inside of with circle of geo filter. I delete console from geo filter and flush cloud. Turn ps4 back on and play on dedicated server couple games then back to same thing. I'm in MD on east coast so no reason I shouldn't have an issue playing on a dedicated server as your map shows several around me but on my heofilter map they do not show up.
Message 2 of 26
bacevedo
Community Manager

There has been some issues with the CoD servers on the Activision side probably due to the overwhelming amount of players that have started playing. 

You still should be able to geo-filter to get connected to the nearest server.

Message 3 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

The server dissappers and no longer shows on geo filter Map. If I do what you guys said by removing the device and flush cloud and readd device it shows up but then does same thing again. I have keep doing this process over and over after playing for a little bit
Message 4 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When does it start happening again after you did that workaround?
Message 5 of 26
ngearftard
Luminary

Thanks for this, especially this: "change your PC device type to a console in the Device Manager first."

Message 6 of 26
Rick6922
Luminary

when i try to set up geo filter it shows me on the west coast and thats where my search starts. Im on the East coast. pls. help.

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You need to click the little home icon pin near the top left of the Geo-Filter Map panel. Then click on the Map to move your home location.

If you're not sure how to do this, click the '?' icon at the top of the Geo-Filter page to launch the Geo-Filter tour. This will show you to get the standard setup.

This guide may also help: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-...

Message 8 of 26
Rick6922
Luminary

thank you.im still having diffrent issues.some one answered my post and said do a factory reset. how do I do that? lol

Message 9 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Message 10 of 26
Rick6922
Luminary

ok thank you.

Message 11 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 26
ngearftard
Luminary

"(if PC, change your PC device type to a console in the Device Manager first)"

Console is no longer an option. What do I set it to? Xbox, PlayStation or is either supposed to work?

Message 13 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

By console we just meant either of the console options will work, Xbox, PS etc
Message 14 of 26
Gatecy
Guide

Hey All,

I have just purchased the Night Hawk xr500 and so far Im not experiencing the benefits. I am a ps4 player and really like playing COD Bo4.  When I installed the Night hawk xr500 the bandwidth initially was around 10000kps (COD Bo4) for a few games, but now the bandwidth is around 4100 kbps (consistently).

Considering I paid $400aus for a ‘gaming router’ I was expecting higher connection stats.  Actually, the connection speed for COD has     not increased from the original stock standard router provided by my internet provider.  I have called the Australian support number and made a few adjustments but no changes. 

I have QOS activated for mostly PS4 and I don’t have a lot of other devices.  I have adjusted the bandwidth to about 70% and selected ‘when high priority traffic selected’.  I have also set the geofilter locally, < 2000klm. 

Any advice?

Cheers

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 15 of 26
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hey,

The router should allow you to eliminate local congestion and also stop connections to laggy or far away servers. If your internet connection is already fast and low ping, it might not make any improvement.

As your your bandwidth suddenly reducing, that sounds pretty strange. Are you connected over WiFi or Ethernet? Where are you performing the speed test? Have you tried using Pingplotter to see if your connection fluctuates?

Message 16 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

I have the same router and 4200kbps is standard with bo4. I think it bo4 that dictate that not the router. The benefit I get from the router is the guaranteed lowest ping every game. I have my router setup to only connect me to games with a ping 30 and below. I have gigabit speed internet and never have had higher than 4500 kbps on bo4. Alot of times when I first start bo4 it is in the 2500 range and have to restart the game to get it up to 4200.
Message 17 of 26
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Do you think this is a problem with the game or the router? Was the speed variable on your old hardware?

Message 18 of 26
Gatecy
Guide

Thanks Mate, Its very weird, I literally had a high bandwidth when I installed and now back to standard.

I will adjust my ping settings to see if this changes the experience.

Cheers
Message 19 of 26
Gatecy
Guide

Thanks Mate,
Download is up to 100mbps average approx 70-80mbps.

I am connected via ethernet and speedtest is conducted on my service providers platform. Ps4 generally doesnt replicate the same speed.

The dedicated server that is close to me and the only on, averages about 40ms.

Cheers
Message 20 of 26
bacevedo
Community Manager

Hi,

Have you double-check your settings with the anti-buffer bloat? The percentage you select for reserving for gaming traffic will appear as if your internet pipeline is slower.

Example: You have 100mb service but you set the ABB to 40%. 60% of your bandwidth is in reserve for gaming when log jams occur. If you run a speedtest, it will appear that you are getting speeds of only 40mb. 

Look to see if the "Always On" button is checked. I would set it to "when high-priority traffic is detected." and see if that improves your speeds.

B

Message 21 of 26
Gatecy
Guide

Not sure buddy whether it is the game or router, unlikely it will be the router.

The old hardware isnt as good but the difference isnt that much, so far.

It's a decent amount of money (router) and weighing up the cost, im just not sure as yet
Message 22 of 26
Gatecy
Guide

Thanks again, current anti buffer set at 70% and I will try selecting 'always' and see if that changes anything.

Message 23 of 26
Durty
Initiate

I always hear Netgear and NetDuma claiming they have the best QOS on the market. Can you provide objective proof of this? I’d like to see where this claim comes from. Provide me evidence.
Message 24 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Gatecy, just to add, games do not require much bandwidth, in fact it will use much less than the reading it is giving you. Its unlikely to even use 0.5mbps so I wouldn't look at this as an indication of any issues.
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7