× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Black Ops 4 PS4 Pro Lan disconnecting XR500

Consumer0129383
Luminary

Black Ops 4 PS4 Pro Lan disconnecting XR500

I am randomly getting kick out of games due to a "Lan not connected" message when it is clearly connected. It boots me from the game and almost instantly I am able to join another game no problem.

Initially the only thing that was effected was the PS4 but just recently (meaning as of yesterday) the router home page started displaying a message that it was not connected to the internet and then it would immediately reconnect.

My setup

ISP: Google Fiber

Fiber jack is connected directly to the XR500 (no Network Box)

PS4 is hardlined to the XR500

I am running new QVS Cat7 cables from the Fiber jack, the iMac, and the PS4.

vlan has been configured,  Anti-bufferbloat (disabled), Port triggering (enabled), and the PS4 is added in the Traffic Prioritization.

Trying to make this thing work so any help in resolving this would be much appreciated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 45

Accepted Solutions
Consumer0129383
Luminary

How can I get a refund from netgear for this router?

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 45

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap LAN cables between XR and PS. 

Swap LAN ports on the back of the XR. 

Is this the only device that experiences this disconnect? Do others? 

Setup a IP address reservation for the PS ON the router. 

Disable Port Triggering if you have uPnP enabled. If you only have 1 PS connected at a time, upnp is all thats needed for port entries for the PS. 

Message 2 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Swap LAN cables between XR and PS.

Swap LAN ports on the back of the XR.

All Cables are new. It was doing this before I bought new cables though.

Is this the only device that experiences this disconnect? Yes/No. Do others? The iMac browser on the iMac doesn't when the PS4 black ops disconnects.

Setup a IP address reservation for the PS ON the router. Done.

Disable Port Triggering if you have uPnP enabled. Did it when I enable Port Triggering.

If you only have 1 PS connected at a time, upnp is all thats needed for port entries for the PS.

Upnp didn't seem to give me an open nat.

Message 3 of 45
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

When you said that the PS4 Pro was disconnecting, I thought that I recognised the issue from my own PS4 Pro, which occasionally had a problem where it thought the LAN cable had been unplugged. In order to fix this, I had to replace the LAN cable, and that seemed to sort it out.

However you also mention that the router itself loses connection. That's more concerning. Just to clarify, do you have a modem at all in your house, or does Google Fiber not require one?

Message 4 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

However you also mention that the router itself loses connection. That's more concerning.

The router doesn't actually show that it's losing connection the interface (webpage) disconnects and reconnects but nothing else goes down.

Just to clarify, do you have a modem at all in your house, or does Google Fiber not require one?

Google Fiber comes with a fiber jack and a network box. The fiberjack is how the optical signal comes into the house the network box is the both router and modem. I have configured the XR500 to replace the network box.

Message 5 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router interface message about not being connected to it, does this happen if you connect to the interface using the LAN IP or routerlogin.net and vice versa?

The issue with the LAN cable is quite a common one for PS4, check the PS4 port itself and see if it has any pins out of alignment. I assume also that WiFi works fine?
Message 6 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I never login through LAN IP. I only go to routerlogin.net.

It's not the PS4 port I've checked it. None of the devices connected through WIFI have had an issue. Only the PS4 and just recently the interface. So either it's the router (which I don't think it is) or some how my internet is compromised.

Message 7 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I appreciate you don't login that way but for troubleshooting purposes could you see if it works that way? If it does then I think it is temporarily looked connection to the routerlogin.net address. That could be due to a Firewall/Anti-Virus or Adblocker potentially seeing it as an outside URL that it doesn't trust. Give your PS4 a static/reserved IP and if it's a lease issue that should resolve the disconnections.
Message 8 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I highly doubt it's doing this because of antivirus/firewall settings. As it just recently started doing it (on the interface). As for the PS4 it's been happening for a month or more and I have changed the lan cables, done a reset of the router and other trouble shooting steps. Also, the PS4 has always had a static IP so that's not the issue here.

Message 9 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Also, why when I block a server does it still connect me to it? It seems like features in the Geofilter aren't working properly.

Message 10 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The reason I ask is because ive seen the issue before and it usually doesn't occur when accessing the interface via the LAN IP. If you could try this to confirm that would be great. Have you reinitialized the PS4? If not I would try that. When you block a server you need to wait for that connection to be severed before it's successfully blocked so if you block then search for a game immediately you may keep the connection alive and may connect to it again. Wait a few minutes after blocking and it should be fine.
Message 11 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I can't confirm or denie that the LAN IP works or not I haven't disconnected since I deleted someone from my friendslist. But, I can say for sure that I am still connecting to P2P servers that I have banned. I don't mean recently. As I am typing this I am in a game hosted by a server that I denied at least a week or more ago. Also, when I ban a dedicated server it disconnects me from the game but not with the P2P.

Message 12 of 45
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

When you ban a peer, the connection won't be dropped straight away. This is actually intentionally, as we're trying to prevent our software being used for cheating. When you deny a peer, the Geo-Filter will wait until the peer disconnects before it starts blocking it.

By the sounds of it, your connection is not allowing you to ban peers at all... Have you restarted your console or router recently? I wonder if the connection hasn't been dropped for a long time, although that wouldn't make much sense if it was a peer. It's probably been categorized wrongly.

Message 13 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I have restarted both. But, like I said it connections to servers that I've banned days or weeks prior.

I'm thinking that my internet is compromised. I've been trouble-shooting my internet for far too long for poor quality in gaming and in some cases streaming. I bought this router thinking it would at least remedy a number of my gaming issues but so far it is turning out to be a colossal waste of money and time.

Message 14 of 45
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You've got the Geo-Filter set on Filtering Mode right?

Message 15 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Yes, the Geo-Filter is set to filtering mode (it has been since I add the PS4 to the Geo-Filter).

Also, just now at 1:47pm a Lan disconnect happened and both the PS4 and the interface lost connection. And yes it was the Lan IP interface this time.

Message 16 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try putting the PS4 in the DMZ at all? Might be that it does a check and the port required isn't open at the time which causes it to disconnect.
Message 17 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I'm not doing that. I have port-triggering set for all ports that both Activision and PSN require. It's still doesn't help. Putting my PS4 into DMZ leaves me vulnerable which I'm think is my problem. I still haven't gotten any actual solutions for any of my issues/concerns.

Message 18 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router itself has its' own Firewall so it would be fine, especially if it was just for a quick test. I am trying to give you suggestions for the issue, it is harder when it happens on other routers as well so hard to diagnose. Try port forwarding instead of triggering as it may not be triggering correctly. Have you disabled UPnP? I would recommend you keep it enabled as ports can be tricky to get right.
Message 19 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I'm just noticed something else. No matter what I set my search radius to it seems to only ping outside the allowed area. This is turning out to be the worst purchase I've ever made.

Message 20 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What about the suggestions in my previous post? What do you mean by it 'pings' outside the area? Do you mean you get games that are outside your radius? Could you provide a screenshot of the entire Geo-Filter page please?
Message 21 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I haven't portforwarded. But, I did prioritize those ports by adding the PS4 in traffic prioritization. Upnp has been off because it generally causes interference. What I mean is that if I place the filter in an area for whatever reason the area magically has no more servers to ping/connect to. But, outside of the selected filter those servers show up.

Message 22 of 45
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That IS weird. I wonder if it's just that the icon isn't showing up. Could be a caching issue. Have you tried private/incognito mode in your browser?

Message 23 of 45
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I have and it doesnt matter.

Message 24 of 45
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm a little confused, the icon in your radius is in Chicago which I know is the location for a server. It's likely showing as a peer as it's misclassified on our cloud (which we're optimising at the moment). So you're saying it's pinging something else outside that radius? Could you zoom out of the map to show us?
Message 25 of 45
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7