× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Brand new XR500 router rebooting every 5 minutes

Brand new XR500 router rebooting every 5 minutes

I recently purchased an XR500 Nighthawk router. Initial installation and setup goes fine, but after I have finished setup the router will restart about every 5-10 minutes without fail. I even exchanged the router for a new one thinking I just got a faulty unit, but I'm having the same problems with the replacement XR500.

I'm using Windows 10. I have Comcast gigabit internet Arris SB6190. I now can't see the firmware, but it's whatever the router auto-updated to on initial setup. It's plugged into the same outlet as my old router, but I've tried a different outlet to no avail. It's using the same ethernet cords as my old router. Powercycling the modem doesn't help. Reinstalling the new router works fine.

Is this a known issue? I'm not inclined to wait on hold to spend an extended amount of time talking with a service rep after spending over $300 on a router.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you certain it's rebooting and not just losing connection? What do you mean you can't see the firmware - can you not access through routerlogin.net or the routers LAN IP?

Certainly not a known issue and suggests faulty unit
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a factory reset on the router then walk thru the setup wizard. I would power OFF the ISP modem as well for 1 minute.

Swap LAN cables betweent he modem and router.

Be aware of your ISP modem has problems of it's own:

http://www.badmodems.com/

@ThinkMcFlyThink wrote:

I recently purchased an XR500 Nighthawk router. Initial installation and setup goes fine, but after I have finished setup the router will restart about every 5-10 minutes without fail. I even exchanged the router for a new one thinking I just got a faulty unit, but I'm having the same problems with the replacement XR500.

I'm using Windows 10. I have Comcast gigabit internet Arris SB6190. I now can't see the firmware, but it's whatever the router auto-updated to on initial setup. It's plugged into the same outlet as my old router, but I've tried a different outlet to no avail. It's using the same ethernet cords as my old router. Powercycling the modem doesn't help. Reinstalling the new router works fine.

Is this a known issue? I'm not inclined to wait on hold to spend an extended amount of time talking with a service rep after spending over $300 on a router.

Message 3 of 10

Sorry, I actually have an Arris SB8200, I typed my old modem model from over a year ago for some reason. I'll do as you suggest and report back.

Message 4 of 10

I know it is rebooting because I can tell by the LED lights on the unit: all white lights vanish and the red lights cycle as they do when I plug and unplug the unit.

I reverted to my old router so couldn't check the firmware. I'm going to factory reset, and I'll write the firmware down this time around. I thought it was a faulty unit as well, but what are the odds of getting two units in a row that have the exact same non-common problem?

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unlikely but not an impossibility. Let us know how you get on after a factory reset, may just be stuck in a boot loop so factory reset could resolve.
Message 6 of 10

I factory reset and swapped ethernet cables to a brand new one and am at 40 minutes now without a reboot. That's a pretty big improvement so far!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Should keep working from here on out.

What FW version is currently loaded?

Message 8 of 10

I think we're all good, at least unless a problem re-emerged.

FW:V2.3.2.32

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like maybe the FW just needed a clean fresh install.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7