× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bridging My Cable Modem + Router w/ Nightgear Router

Bridging My Cable Modem + Router w/ Nightgear Router

So I bought a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 and bought a Arris Surfboard SB8300 and wanted to know how to bridge these properly cause I’m always lagging out of my games and want to have the fastest connection I can have.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't know whether they have a specific bridge mode but you can copy the WAN IP from the XR System Information page and put it in the modem DMZ, it will essentially do the same thing.
P56 -https://www.cox.com/content/dam/cox/residential/support/internet/print_media/ARRIS_SBG8300_Manual.pdf
Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

There's an SB8200 and a SBG8300

SB8200 which is a modem only

SBG8300 is a modem router combo device

which one do you have? 

Message 3 of 10

Yea when I log into it there’s a option to turn on bridge mode but don’t have any experience doing it so wanted to see if someone could help me out
Message 4 of 10

I Have the SBG8300
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you enable bridge mode on the SBG8300, it puts it in modem only mode. 

So enable that, disconnect everything hardwired from the SBG (it'll reboot itself) and once it reboots, power it off. Then connect your netgear router to lan port 1 on the sbg and have the netgear turned off. 

Boot up sbg and give it a couple minutes. 

Then boot up the netgear and try setup. 

Message 6 of 10

Sounds easy enough only question I have is do I put the nighthawk in a AP mode or router mode
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you're putting the SBG8300 in bridge mode, the netgear should be in router mode. 

If you leave the sbg8300 in router mode, then you'd want the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 8 of 10

Which one would you recommend to do?
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you're not needing the router/wireless capabilities of the SBG8300, then I'd put it in bridge mode. Simple and easy.

If you're wanting the capabilities of the SBG8300 along with the XR500, then i'd go another route and put the netgears IP address into the SBG8300's dmz. Then you'd just want to seperate out the wireless channels so they don't interfere with each other. 

Reason I say this is the whole point of the xr500 is its gaming capabilities. In AP mode, you loose that benefit. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7