× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: COD BO4 Multiplayer Issue

MRowe
Guide

COD BO4 Multiplayer Issue

Hi,
Since couple of weeks, I can not play with any Call of Duty Game (BO4, WW2, etc.) It says no connection with COD servers.
I checked it from PC, PS4, XBOX, the problem is the same, can't connect to COD servers.
I have a long discussion with Activision and my ISP, I check / set everything they asked to do (Ports etc.)
I have a netgear cable modem from ISP connected to my Netgear Nighthawk XR500. If I use ISP netgear cable modem for Black Ops 4 or any Call of Duty, It is working, but if normally wnat use these COD games through my XR500 it is not working.
I have checked XR500 DumaOS setting for Call of Duty.. nothing helps.

Can you please help me with this weird things... only call of duty can not work on my XR500 router, battlefield and everything is OK
Please, give a good solution.!
Thanks

Message 1 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

How are the game consoles connected to the XR router? Wired is preferred. 

Message 2 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.40

My console is connected to XR500 as wired

ISP Cable Modem is Netgear C6250 and Set as non Router Mode. 200Mb/20Mb

Message 3 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

No port forwarding configurations are needed on the XR 500 if you have uPnP enabled. CoD and BO4 works on XR routers by default. 

You might try a factory reset and setup from scratch, this time, just enable uPnP. Set up a IP address reservation for the game consoles. Don't set up any GeoFilters or gaming features just yet. Make sure the consoles connect to the MS or Sony services first, then try BO4. 

If you have more than one same game console online at the same time, you can set NAT Filter to OPEN as this will help with setting open NAT across multiple game consoles playing the same game at the same time. 

Message 4 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I have already done factory reset and only uPnP is set, no port forwarding. I also have IP address reservation for the game console. I tried to get BO4/WW2 run without setup GeoFilter and with it also.
Any other game is perfectly running in multiplayer, except only any Call of Duty game can't run with my XR500, only if I plug my console into ISP cable modem. The weird is nothing has changed on my settings, but for 3 weeks Call of Duty died as a Multiplayer game. In the game I see " Not Connected to Call of Duty Servers"

Message 5 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm, wonder if you tried to downgrade FW to v32 to see if that does anything. 

You sure the CoD game services are up and running with out any problems? I presume they are. Give the NAT Filter to Open a try and see. 

Have you held the power button on the front of the xbox one until it shuts off then back on? This help clear out any networking caches when there is a change in networking. 

xbox and game consoles should be using auto IP addressing. 

Message 6 of 91
MRowe
Guide

BO4 servers status is onk, however there are problems, but I can not connect to COD servers for three weeks.

is downgrade FW to v32 safe? I mean that version was not perfect me, but I can give a try.
I unplugged my consol and reseted.

Message 7 of 91
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So if the Geo-Filter is completely disabled, i.e. you don't have a console even added to the feature you still get the issue?
Message 8 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Yes, exactly, I disabled Geo-Filter , no added console. The problem is the same with Call of Duty series, I still have an issue..
Thank you in advance to help me with this

Message 9 of 91
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is very strange, put the console in the DMZ of the router. Have you also tried wired vs wireless?
Message 10 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Yes, It i strange I do agree. I put my console in DMZ and it was in it, but nothing happening if I put it in DMZ or remove from it. I only use wired connection. Every article is mentioning I should use WIRED connection for gaming.. but I will try it out.. 

Message 11 of 91
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try disabling QoS completely in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu and see if that resolves it please.
Message 12 of 91
MRowe
Guide

I disabled QoS completely in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu. Nothing has changed regarding the game. The game is not connecting to COD online services or servers. While I am connected to the console network, but not connect to COD servers. I can see in the game...just waiting for connect to COD servers.. I don't really understand why only COD servers, and Why only when I use my XR500 router. 😞 I love this router, but I can not imagine why happened this..

Message 13 of 91
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

This is so weird. Could you try downgrading the firmware and see if it's working on the previous firmware:  https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

If it is, then upgrade back again. I'm wondering if something broke when your new firmware auto-installed.

Message 14 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Thanks the hints!
Unfortunately, it is not working......
I have downgraded my router from XR500 V2.3.2.40 to XR500 V2.3.2.32.

Nothing has changed , no connection COD servers. I let this firmware version, if you have any idea. If not , I will set back the latest firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.40
Now I really don't know what to do and what is the next step.. I tried I think everything 1 week with Activision We tried everything , Couple of days with my ISP, and now with Netgear support. but I still have hope.. PLease let me klnow your idea, and thank you in advance your efforts

Message 15 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure the modem is in modem mode or NAT mode is disabled?

What is the IP address your getting on the XR500 on it's WAN port? ##.##.###.### or a 192 or 10 IP address? 

@MRowe wrote:

Thanks the hints!
Unfortunately, it is not working......
I have downgraded my router from XR500 V2.3.2.40 to XR500 V2.3.2.32.

Nothing has changed , no connection COD servers. I let this firmware version, if you have any idea. If not , I will set back the latest firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.40
Now I really don't know what to do and what is the next step.. I tried I think everything 1 week with Activision We tried everything , Couple of days with my ISP, and now with Netgear support. but I still have hope.. PLease let me klnow your idea, and thank you in advance your efforts

Message 16 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Cable modem is not in Router Mode. It has two option Roter Mode (YES/NO) so NO.

My understanding :
Router Mode: Choose Yes to activate the NAT and switch the gateway into router mode. Choose No to deactivate the NAT and switch the gateway into bridge mode.

Should I set back it Router Mode? I think that is not working also. ISP said my Cable modem should bi in no router mode if I use my connected own router

Message 17 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, set the modem back to router mode. Be sure the LAN IP address should be 192.168.0.1 for the modem/router. Then connect the XR router to the modem. Find the IP address the XR is getting from the modem and reserve this ON the modem. Then input this into the modems DMZ. Reboot both modem and XR router. While you reboot the modem and XR router, press and hold the power button on the front of the xbox until it shuts off. After the modem and XR router are back to ready, verify internet access with a PC or mobile device. If good, power on the xbox and check NAT status on the networking settings then check BO4 for connetion.

Message 18 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Thanks!

I did everything as you recommended, I had checked XR500 IP, and put it as reserved IP into Cable Modem , after set it DMZ. I have NAT Type 2 everything is working except COD. It is not working, I give it up 😞

In Summary:
- CoD Multiplayer servers are available only if I use ISP Cable Modem only - (but I would like to use my own XR500 gaming router because that is much better)
- any other multiplayer game is working with XR500, no problem at all
I followed every hints and advice, but no solution..

Message 19 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you happen to have a different router by chance? 

CoD does work while your console is connected to the modem in router mode right? 

Possible your XR router needs to be replaced. You seem to be the only one with this problem. 

Message 20 of 91
MRowe
Guide

I also tried out my older Netgear Wndr 3800 router. It did not worked.. but I give a chance for it.
Let you know what happened......

Message 21 of 91
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's not working with another router, is it at all possible that you've been banned? Do you have another account/console you could try with?

Message 22 of 91
MRowe
Guide

It's getting more and more fun, I replaced the XR500 for Netgear WNDR 3800. I the proble is the same. The game says "cannot connect to any COD servers" I can't belive this. It shouldn't be so mysterious, numbers and network layers, packets.. but it is getting like a Jedi mind trick
I don't really understan the whole thing I gave up...

Anyway, thanks for everybody who try to help me
Thanks to you...
# - I don't know what to do now

Message 23 of 91
MRowe
Guide

"is it at all possible that you've been banned?" I never did anything that I should be banned. and if so, then why cod multiplyer profile and servers is working under Cable Modem? If I use only ISP Netgear Cable Modem I can play with COD in multiplayer...

Message 24 of 91
MRowe
Guide

Additional info: MY friend also tried out his PS4, that is not XBOX, and with his profile, but He only could play when we used my Netgear ISP cable modem, the situation is the same with his different profile and different console...

Message 25 of 91
Discussion stats
  • 90 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7